What series should I watch next?

mjc said:

Good news!  I loved Queer Eye.   grin   "Cried"??  Maybe I'm forgetting the tone?

I might be a little more emotional these days (manopause) but yes! I drop a few tears of joy on every show, because you spend so much time with a person and their family and they all need something to help them move forward. Its like extreme home makeover, but I don’t REALLY feel like my emotions are being played.

I loved River as well.

j_r said:

Are you talking about "River" from BBC? John River is a brilliant police inspector whose genius lies side-by-side with the fragility of his mind. He is a man haunted by the murder victims whose cases he must lay to rest. It's excellent.
kibbegirl said:

Been watching and enjoying the British crime drama "Rivers." Brits do crime drama really well.

angelak said:

I loved River as well.

j_r said:

Are you talking about "River" from BBC? John River is a brilliant police inspector whose genius lies side-by-side with the fragility of his mind. He is a man haunted by the murder victims whose cases he must lay to rest. It's excellent.
kibbegirl said:

Been watching and enjoying the British crime drama "Rivers." Brits do crime drama really well.

That sounds a LOT like a series set in Sweden - Wallander

Others have mentioned the BBC series Death in Paradise (Netflix) which I've been watching lately.  It's about a London police detective who has been assigned to an island in the Caribbean that is a British Protectorate.  Strictly a bit of mindless fluff but with beautiful scenery and it's fun trying to see if you can catch the clues that the Detective uses to solve the murder...although in some episodes it's a stretch.  Sort of a cross between Doc Martin in the odd fish out of water way  (especially the first season) and Murder She Wrote in terms of how the murders are solved (and by the way, just how many people were killed in Cabot Cove every year??).  It's filmed entirely in Deshaies, Guadeloupe so each episode is a quick visual trip to the Caribbean.   

Scully said:

That sounds a LOT like a series set in Sweden - Wallander

Sure does. And in fact River is played by Stellan Skarsgård, who is Swedish and plays a Swedish police detective in London.

John Adams HBO, on all day President's Day. I've watched it several times and love it.

I don't know if it's going to make it over here, but Derry Girls is great.

Anyone watch Hinterland?  I haven't but a friend recommended it.

Loving River, based upon MOL recs!

Not a TV series, but in case you're also into podcasts, West Cork on Audible is an intriguing true-crime drama. I think it's free for now, but if you'd like a link, DM me.

Someone recommended Dexter to me. I watched the first episode today. Boy, is that a weird show. I'll have to see if I stick with it.

Also, recently watched the first season of Shameless. Enjoyed that a lot.

I've tried Dexter twice but couldn't make it through the first episode, and I like MCH -- and Patricia Highsmith, so it isn't a question of moral ambiguity. I would like somebody who loves the series to say: "Just make it to episode X."

j_r said:

I've tried Dexter twice but couldn't make it through the first episode, and I like MCH -- and Patricia Highsmith, so it isn't a question of moral ambiguity. I would like somebody who loves the series to say: "Just make it to episode X."

This is how I felt about The Wire. Everybody and their grandma loved, loved it but I had to go at least 6 episodes deep before I was remotely interested in committing. The first 3, good Lord were horrible. I’d give Dexter to episode 4 at least. It’s a great show. 

jeffl said:

Anyone watch Hinterland?  I haven't but a friend recommended it.

I never miss "Hinterland" and catch it on WLIW-21.  I find it mesmerizing and haunting.  The protagonist, DCI Tom Mathias, is intense; his investigatory skills are penetrating, relentlessly driven and oddly fearless.  In this case, the fearlessness does not equate to foolishness.  Mathias carefully calculates his interactions.  I love watching Mathias take in all of the flotsam of a victim's life at a crime scene.  At the same time, Mathias seems haunted; he is profoundly solitary.  (At one point, a basis for his seeming fearlessness is disclosed, but I don't do spoilers.) As is typical with British-produced mystery dramas, guns, spectacular car crashes and explosions do not have a starring role. Humanity is the special effect.  The series is filmed in Wales.  The landscape, at times breathtakingly beautiful, brooding and stark, is an important factor in this series.  

independent.co.uk:  Hinterland Series

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/richard-harrington-on-hinterland-series-3-poldark-lark-rise-to-candleford-a7664551.html

Internet Movie Database:  "Hinterland"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2575968/

Well, maybe I'll give it a try then for a few more episodes. I do notice that the show is usually listed near the top of "best Showtime series" compilations, so there must be something going on beyond what I saw in that first weird episode.

ElizMcCord said:

j_r said:

This is how I felt about The Wire. Everybody and their grandma loved, loved it but I had to go at least 6 episodes deep before I was remotely interested in committing. The first 3, good Lord were horrible. I’d give Dexter to episode 4 at least. It’s a great show. 

As a sci fi fan, I've been a relentless naysayer about the Syfy channel for years.  There must have been some kind of regime change in the last year or two, however, because they now have three highly praised series, only one of which I've seen (and love), which is Happy!.  The other two, Channel Zero and the Magicians, have 100% ratings on RT, meaning all critics have given the shows positive reviews. 

No mention of The Expanse?

Haven't seen it.  Does seem to be well regarded, especially the 2nd season.

Speaking of sc fi, I'm very excited about the impending opening of "Annihilation," more because of director, sci fi wonderboy Alex Garland than because of the novels its based on.e 

Fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe?   Check out Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Bureau.  It's on Netflix.

Dave - Just checked and it's only available on DVD here.

I have to admit I haven't read the books. Is Gently meant to be annoying AF?

I'll try to stick to the "series" theme but following up on my earlier post, the reviews are coming in:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/annihilation

General and specific observations.

General:  Critical standards for TV shows are really low.  Many shows that get largely positive reviews are mediocre and forgettable.

Specific:  Watched an episode of the new X Files.  Occasionally, I watch a movie or show that looks like someone is feverishly writing a first draft of the script as the show or movie is being filmed.  That's how insipid and empty this episode was.  And it also had all of the X Files tropes that were already tired in the 90s, like portentous speeches pretending to be dialogue.   Dreadful, and yet the show seems to have good reviews.      

The Son is now available on AMC...but it has commercials.  Ugh.  Almost unwatchable because of it.  I absolutely loved the book but this just isn't cutting it.  Pierce Brosnan as a cowboy.  What a disappointment.

Seven Seconds is getting great reviews.  Not sure when it will be released.  It must be soon.

jeffl said:

Seven Seconds is getting great reviews.  Not sure when it will be released.  It must be soon.

Living in Jersey City, I'm very interested in seeing this. It launches today on Netflix and it's reviewed in today's NYTimes.  Looking forward to seeing familiar locations.

I'm completely in love with Outlander.

Watched a fantastic older film on netflix called Living on One Dollar a Day.   Four suburban US college students take on an economics project that brings them into a dirt poor rural village in Guatemala where they must learn how to survive on 1.00 a day for 60 days.   It is truly worth watching. 

I can't remember if I've mentioned it in this thread (and I can't figure out how to search for only my own posts within a thread), but for probably the last year I've been doing a complete re-watch of Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Hulu. Finished it last weekend. I still think it's one of the best shows ever made, and I think it's even better the second time through. I kinda already want to watch it again.

Ditto re Buffy being an all time great.

BrickPig said:

I can't remember if I've mentioned it in this thread (and I can't figure out how to search for only my own posts within a thread), but for probably the last year I've been doing a complete re-watch of Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Hulu. Finished it last weekend. I still think it's one of the best shows ever made, and I think it's even better the second time through. I kinda already want to watch it again.

If you like horror, the Frankenstein Chronicles is good so far.

I'm re-watching Nurse Jackie. I love it.

Also just watched Season 3 of Girlfriends Guide to Divorce. Silly light fun.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.