What series should I watch next?

You don't have to talk to sales to sign up. It's pretty easy to do it online.

The 3 packages are pictured below. I'd pick the 7.99 package - it has access to all the same content - it's just missing features like HD and allowing more than one user to sign on.

Contentwise, I'd say Netflix is pretty competitive with HBO - maybe better since you have access to the Netflix back catalog.

I'd give it a shot. Maybe you'll like Netflix enough to drop HBO and save a few bucks. (though that might be tough depending on how it was bundled.)

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Season Two of EASY on Netflix is, like Season 1, sexy and funny and modern. I love this show. Some of the same characters as Season 1 although most characters and stories are new. All stand-alone episodes. Timothy Simons, who plays Jonah Ryan on Veep (the tall insecure guy) is in an episode.

Did I say the show is sexy?

How much is Netflix. I looked at their site and they offer a free month but I don't feel enthused about talking to sales. I am weeping over my cable bill package but I'm hooked on HBO and cable news. Do I need to subscribe to Netflix as well?

Have to confess to being increasingly disappointed in "Mrs. Maisel."  It's a lot more of a Jewish caricature (cartoon, really) version of the Gilmore Girls than a female Lenny Bruce story, although it clearly strains to be the latter and even has LB as a character in it.  The original trailer, with her drunken spontaneous stand up routine in a 1950s Village club, promises a lot more than it delivers. 

Black Mirror. Great series, but very dark. Not for the faint of heart. Think Twilight Zone meets the dark side.

Yeah, I've been catching up on this one. I wouldn't call it all "very dark".  There's a pretty wide range between the darkest (so far my vote is for The National Anthem. sheesh.) and episodes like USS Callister and Hang the DJ.

But all of it is very Twilight Zone.

unicorn33 said:

Black Mirror. Great series, but very dark. Not for the faint of heart. Think Twilight Zone meets the dark side.

drummerboy said:

The 3 packages are pictured below. I'd pick the 7.99 package - it has access to all the same content - it's just missing features like HD and allowing more than one user to sign on.

Contentwise, I'd say Netflix is pretty competitive with HBO - maybe better since you have access to the Netflix back catalog.

I'd give it a shot. Maybe you'll like Netflix enough to drop HBO and save a few bucks. (though that might be tough depending on how it was bundled.)

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Season Two of EASY on Netflix is, like Season 1, sexy and funny and modern. I love this show. Some of the same characters as Season 1 although most characters and stories are new. All stand-alone episodes. Timothy Simons, who plays Jonah Ryan on Veep (the tall insecure guy) is in an episode.

How much is Netflix. I looked at their site and they offer a free month but I don't feel enthused about talking to sales. I am weeping over my cable bill package but I'm hooked on HBO and cable news. Do I need to subscribe to Netflix as well?

Thanks! I'm diving in tomorrow. As for leaving HBO, I doubt it. I just watched the rest of Gunpowder. Great. I'm always intrigued by the absolute cruelty that people will inflict on one another in the name of religion. Then of course there's Game of Thrones. And I can never get enough of Bill Maher. Sorry that Optimum dropped Starz Encore. There was a pirate series that I liked. Quite a few English period pieces. And a channel that had some pretty good thrillers.

As for Netflix I'm thinking  Dark Mirror sounds like it might appeal to me.

I watched the first season of Black Mirror a while back and want to catch up but it seems Netflix is now showing only the most recent season.  

Nevermind, re Black Mirror.

Did a bit of research this morning. Not sure if my TV is "smart" enough.  More checking.

I liked Lair of the White Worm and think Dune is the worst big budget sci fi movie ever made.  No accounting for taste (in worms), I guess.

Sorry, last comment was mean for the cult movies thread.

Really liking "The End of the F****** World" on Netflix. 

Um, the profanity filter isn't letting me link directly to a review, but it's on the front page at www.uproxx.com/sepinwall/

Thanks to AngelaK, I have been binge watching that British banking series on Netflix.  It's addicting.  My son got me to watch Patriot, a black comedy on Amazon. It's about the emotional toll of a family working for the CIA, portrayed as a bureaucratic nightmare.  The lead character does an amazing job just with his face. The supporting characters are great too, and with lots of references.  The Dad is like Sean Connery with a headache.  The whole thing is absurd, but it's original, well-written and clever.  Right now there is only Season 1, but they are coming out with Season 2 and they got Debra Winger to play the Mom.

I got excited for a minute for a banking series, because Billions doesn't come back till March.  tongue rolleye 

nan said:

Thanks to AngelaK, I have been binge watching that British banking series on Netflix. 

Just powered through Gunpowder in 3 nights.  Episode one may have been the most violent thing I’ve ever watched.  Even so, I thought it was well done.  I didn’t know the historic event depicted.  

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Thanks! I'm diving in tomorrow. As for leaving HBO, I doubt it. I just watched the rest of Gunpowder. Great. I'm always intrigued by the absolute cruelty that people will inflict on one another in the name of religion. Then of course there's Game of Thrones. And I can never get enough of Bill Maher. Sorry that Optimum dropped Starz Encore. There was a pirate series that I liked. Quite a few English period pieces. And a channel that had some pretty good thrillers.

jeffl said:

Just powered through Gunpowder in 3 nights.  Episode one may have been the most violent thing I’ve ever watched.  Even so, I thought it was well done.  I didn’t know the historic event depicted.  
Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

It was graphic. We usually see the Catholic/Protestant issue either as a backdrop to the story of Henry VIII or the clash between Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth. This was interesting because it illustrated the persecution of Catholics in England and then portrayed the Inquisition in Spain as they tortured those who did not embrace Catholicism.

The disturbing scene in the first episode reminded me of the torture at the end of Braveheart. It shocks because of the enthusiasm of the crowds.

j_r said:

I got excited for a minute for a banking series, because Billions doesn't come back till March.  tongue rolleye 
nan said:

Thanks to AngelaK, I have been binge watching that British banking series on Netflix. 

Sorry about that!  But, check it out while you are waiting for Billions.

"Happy!" on Syfy.  Over the top, funny, violent, hallucinatory.   With the terrific Christopher Meloni and Patton Oswalt doing the voice of the title (cartoon) character in an otherwise non-cartoon show. 

Last night I watched the first of the new Letterman episodes with President Obama on Netflix. My observations:

• I miss President Obama sooo much. I didn't realize how much until last night.
  • In a relaxed setting, he's a very funny and charming guy.
  • Letterman has become even smarmier and ego-driven. I didn't really find him very likable in this instance.
  • It is definitely worth watching, if only for a chance to have some Obama in your life again.
  • Trump's name never came up although there were a few allusions to him.
  • Did I mention how much I miss Obama?

I hope everyone gets to see that Letterman-Obama interview. It was wonderful . How I miss Obama!

It was.  The two of them together was true interview harmony.  Obama is so quick-witted, clever and knowledgeable.   It's bittersweet indeed.  

Watching ABSENTIA on Amazon. Diverting if a bit of a dark misery parade and silly at times. I'll watch it to the end of the 10 episodes.

Been watching and enjoying the British crime drama "Rivers." Brits do crime drama really well.

I watched Letterman -Clooney last night.  A waste of time, if you ask me. Especially after the Obama episode.

Also watched Fred Armisen's "Stand Up for the Drummers" on Netflix. It was spotty but his tour of American accents is brilliant

Watching Prisoner of War, Israeli.  Outstanding.

It’s an oldie, but I am binge watching Justified — Marshal Raylon is terrific. I am embarrassed to admit that, in the last few months, I have only begun to use the iPad and earplugs to quietly watch whatever I have a mind to (credit to Raylon’s Kentucky). The spouse gets  his fix watching violence on athletic fields as loudly as he wants. wink 

At the same time, I am catching up with Homeland and This is Us.

I’m watching Halt and Catch Fire and honestly am not sure whether I love or hate it - I guess it’s both...

mtierney said:

It’s an oldie, but I am binge watching Justified — Marshal Raylon is terrific. I am embarrassed to admit that, in the last few months, I have only begun to use the iPad and earplugs to quietly watch whatever I have a mind to (credit to Raylon’s Kentucky). The spouse gets  his fix watching violence on athletic fields as loudly as he wants. wink 

At the same time, I am catching up with Homeland and This is Us.

Love Justified!

Are you talking about "River" from BBC? John River is a brilliant police inspector whose genius lies side-by-side with the fragility of his mind. He is a man haunted by the murder victims whose cases he must lay to rest. It's excellent.

kibbegirl said:

Been watching and enjoying the British crime drama "Rivers." Brits do crime drama really well.

I don’t know if anyone else has seen this, but Queer Eye is back, on Netflix, and I have cried at every damn transformation so far. I’m on episode 4 and I’m on the verge of tears just 10 minutes in. I hate “reality” shows, but I’m such a sucker for Queer Eye!

Good news!  I loved Queer Eye.   grin   "Cried"??  Maybe I'm forgetting the tone?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.