What series should I watch next?

my kinda show!

jeffl said:

If you want to watch pure trash - Banshee!   Gratuitous violence, sex, and nudity.  I can't stop watching it.  

speaking of which...

boomie said:

Loved the two episodes of The Deuce on HBO.    So amazing to see NY City in the 70's again.

not fair. It's not totally gratuitous. And I've loved Maggie G. since Secretary.

Travelers is pretty good.  Decent entertainment.

ElizMcCord said:

foxychica said:

Did you watch the Australian version or the US version?  I watched the Australian version. The US version didn't get great reviews.

Ehhh no idea. How to tell? The actors were Australian. There's were a few American actor appearances like Toni Collette. 

By the way, Toni Collette was born, raised, and still lives in Australia. She is 100% Aussie.

Really? Wow. Had no idea. Good to know. 

Watch Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding (light and fun) and you will be thoroughly convinced that she is Australian.

galileo said:

Just read in the NYTimes about a Netflix series starting next month. It is a new rendition of "Anne of Green Gables" called "Anne With an E". Lots of applauds for it.

This is a really great show.  The actress is incredibly well cast, I read they interviewed over 1800 people for just her role. I loved loved it.  Bring the tissues and the wine. I can't wait for season 2.  

The Good Doctor. It's a new show on ABC. It looks promising. Sure it's weird seeing Norman Bates being a doctor but one episode in and I am hooked. 

ElizMcCord said:

The Good Doctor. It's a new show on ABC. It looks promising. Sure it's weird seeing Norman Bates being a doctor but one episode in and I am hooked. 

We're hooked too.  Wish writers would just stop with the nap room hookups in hospital shows.  Love the kid's talents and the use of animation to help us understand his "vision."

-Ron Carter

rcarter31 said:

ElizMcCord said:

We're hooked too.  Wish writers would just stop with the nap room hookups in hospital shows.  Love the kid's talents and the use of animation to help us understand his "vision."

-Ron Carter

Yes and broad awareness to autism. 

Oh, wow. Just started watching BIG MOUTH on Netflix. Animated and VERY profane (and sometimes hysterically funny) series about middle schoolers hitting puberty. Very funny but maybe not for all tastes.

Next up: NORSEMEN. Now this is one wacky Neflix show. Takes place in the ancient Norse lands. Chieftains, warriors, wenches, etc, But they speak a modern comic language. Like some sitcom in the old North. Very violent and profane. And a bit funny. I watched two episodes - and I'm done. 

The Five on Netflix, a serialized Harlan Coben story. It kind of explodes in episode six or seven, I can't not watch, but I can't follow it, either. Anyone?

Started watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon. Enjoyed the first two episodes. Nice to see Bryan Cranston again.

I'm currently addicted to an Australian show on Netflix called Offspring. It's a total soap opera-y dramedy but it's perfect light fare for bingeing. Think Allie McBeal meets Grey's Anatomy. Plus there's 7 seasons available.

Anyone watching The Good Place? Great show.

j_r said:

The Five on Netflix, a serialized Harlan Coben story. It kind of explodes in episode six or seven, I can't not watch, but I can't follow it, either. Anyone?

I've watched about 5 episodes and I do get a bit lost too. But I'm going back to it tonight.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

j_r said:

I've watched about 5 episodes and I do get a bit lost too. But I'm going back to it tonight.

Finished it tonight. Got better and better as the plot tightened. Too many McGuffins early on.

Mostly off-topic, but I love the various book series I have read/am reading which are thrillers/police procedurals written by the likes of Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Karin Slaughter and others. Even the Kellerman books (mostly hers but his are fine too) are good reading. Many of these are set in L.A. and environs which I like since my son lives out there now and while I know the place well as a visitor from the 70's and currently it keeps me even more connected with him. grin

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Hahaha said:

Some other dramedy shows I've enjoyed this year are Younger (TV Land), Girlfriends Guide to Divorce (Bravo) and Odd Mom Out (Bravo). All pretty light fare, but enjoyable after a day of facing the real world. 

Is there a new season of GGTD? I liked Seasons 1 and 2. It's a silly Sex and The City sortof thing with older married, separated and divorced women in LA. But I loved Lisa Edelstein as Dr. Lisa Cuddy on House and love her in this.  It's a sexy show with beautiful women in their 40s. 

Sorry. Late to the party with a reply. Yes, new season started this fall. You can catch up on demand. 

Is it Friday yet?!?!?!??

Mindhunter, Netflix, takes place in the late 70s.

Hahaha said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Hahaha said:

Some other dramedy shows I've enjoyed this year are Younger (TV Land), Girlfriends Guide to Divorce (Bravo) and Odd Mom Out (Bravo). All pretty light fare, but enjoyable after a day of facing the real world. 

Is there a new season of GGTD? I liked Seasons 1 and 2. It's a silly Sex and The City sortof thing with older married, separated and divorced women in LA. But I loved Lisa Edelstein as Dr. Lisa Cuddy on House and love her in this.  It's a sexy show with beautiful women in their 40s. 

Sorry. Late to the party with a reply. Yes, new season started this fall. You can catch up on demand. 

Looks like you have to rent each episode for $2.99.  No thanks.

What did you think about . . . 

1. Alias Grace: Pretty adaptation of a Margaret Atwood story, but no match for The Handmaid's Tale. Anna Paquin set my teeth on edge.

2. The Deuce: The dialog wasn't great and the cops were goofy stereotypes, but the seamy period detail was painfully perfect and James Franco playing two brothers is pretty amazing. 

3. The Sinner: Not sure I can last past the first episode. Does it get better?

4. Mindhunter: More 1970s underbelly. I thought the premise (serial killers are interviewed to solve current cases) had excellent potential. Good character development over the arc of the first season.

I'm all caught up with BETTER THINGS on FX. A terrific show. Pamela Adilon writes and stars in the show about a mother and her three precocious daughters and thier life living in and at the edge of Hollywood. You can watch all seasons (I think there are only two) on FX on demand. I highly recommend it.

Big Little Lies (HBO)

Stranger Things (Netflix)

Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Black Mirror (Netflix) - I know I’m late to another party. 

Black Mirror is an amazing series. Very, very thought provoking. But, be warned, often very dark. I'm looking forward to the next season.

Hahaha said:

Black Mirror (Netflix) - I know I’m late to another party. 

I am really enjoying American Playboy on amazon.

I'm watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. It's up and down but there are some brilliant moments. Lots of Jewish cultural and 50s hip references. (Lenny Bruce is a recurring character.) I'm quite enjoying it. 

Anyone else watching it? 

ETA: There are moments when the "Jewish" dialogue sounds like it's written by goyim trying too hard. 

LADY DYNAMITE, starring the weird and wonderful Maria Bamford, is pretty entertaining! 

Season 2 of The Crown is back today on Netflix. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'm watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. It's up and down but there are some brilliant moments. Lots of Jewish cultural and 50s hip references. (Lenny Bruce is a recurring character.) I'm quite enjoying it. 

Anyone else watching it? 

ETA: There are moments when the "Jewish" dialogue sounds like it's written by goyim trying too hard. 

Yep.  I love it, especially when it goes dark...and she walks onto the stage.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.