What series should I watch next?

This season of Fargo is better than the first.  An amazing feat. 

Shemademedothis says thanks - it's back on his 'get it NOW' list  cheese 

joanne said:

any comments on The Leftovers?

Just started it on my son's recommendation.

If you have Netflix, check out The Time in Between. Yes it is in Spanish with English subtitles but it is very easy to follow. I had read the book and the series is just as good. Very Downton Abbey type of series.

I think I'll jump into Fargo. Heard great things. 

Been watching more Wentworth on Netflix. Almost done w season 3. Dark, very brutal at times, sexy and funny. Did I say dark?  Yes, dark. If you hated the Governor in Walking Dead (and who didn't?) you'll despise the Guv'na in Season 2 and 3 of this one. 

Just started Nurse Jackie.  Never saw it before but it's great. Short episodes and fun, poignant characters. 

Watched one episode of Sensitive Skin with Kim Catrall on Netflix but found it creepy and depressing. Anyone else seen it? This is no Samantha Jones.  

Watched the new episode of Downton Abbey and you have to love Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson. Adorable. Clearly it's time for it to wind down. Old tropes and character flaws are going on too long. But Lady Mary looking more beautiful than ever, if you ask me. Wow. Wow. 

And always stopping  back to see an episode of The L Word here and there. Sexy. Especially for an old straight white guy like me. 

Also keeping up with Bravo's Girlfirends Guide to Divorce. Cheeky, silly, Bravo fun and occasionally charming; it's Sex and the City with women in their 40s and LA instead of NYC. Lisa Edelstein who played Dr. Lisa Cuddy on House is the star and I think she's funny, smart and s.e.x.y. 

There you have it. And yes, I watch too much TV. 

I caught this show by accident one night and was hooked. Went back and binged the first season. Janeane Garafalo hasn't returned since mid season 1 but they left her character an open door to return. I do love the replacement 3rd and 4th friends. It's a nice well balanced cast.

eliz said:

I love this show.  Are you sure about Janeane Garofalo?  I think she was let go/quit part way through the first season.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Tonight at 10pm Season 2 of Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce starts on Bravo. It's a bit smarmy and silly but I like Lisa Edelstein (from HOUSE) very much. Janeane Garofalo is also in it. 

ALSO, a friend was raving incoherently about how marvelous THE TUDORS (PBS) is. Has anyone watched it? Yay? Nay? 

Wentworth is definitely worth a binge. I'm at about the same place and while I'm kind of tired of Frankie and her story line, it has great ensemble acting and well drawn characters with none of the camp (panties? seriously?) that I have come to dislike in OITNB.

Nurse Jackie has a similar dark vein, and a fundamental honesty about addiction and manipulation that I thought was incredibly well done.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I think I'll jump into Fargo. Heard great things. 

Been watching more Wentworth on Netflix. Almost done w season 3. Dark, very brutal at times, sexy and funny. Did I say dark?  Yes, dark. If you hated the Governor in Walking Dead (and who didn't?) you'll despise the Guv'na in Season 2 and 3 of this one. 

Just started Nurse Jackie.  Never saw it before but it's great. Short episodes and fun, poignant characters. 

Watched one episode of Sensitive Skin with Kim Catrall on Netflix but found it creepy and depressing. Anyone else seen it? This is no Samantha Jones.  

Watched the new episode of Downton Abbey and you have to love Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson. Adorable. Clearly it's time for it to wind down. Old tropes and character flaws are going on too long. But Lady Mary looking more beautiful than ever, if you ask me. Wow. Wow. 

And always stopping  back to see an episode of The L Word here and there. Sexy. Especially for an old straight white guy like me. 

Also keeping up with Bravo's Girlfirends Guide to Divorce. Cheeky, silly, Bravo fun and occasionally charming; it's Sex and the City with women in their 40s and LA instead of NYC. Lisa Edelstein who played Dr. Lisa Cuddy on House is the star and I think she's funny, smart and s.e.x.y. 

There you have it. And yes, I watch too much TV. 

Just binge-watched "Master of None". Great fun. It's the show I would have wanted to make.

Gave "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" a try. It's a bit of that zany, Tina Fey-ish writing, where nothing is grounded. It's brisk but not my taste.

Shameless season 6 just started.  Loove this show.

ffof said:

Shameless season 6 just started.  Loove this show.

It starts on Sunday - can't wait.

We just watched Episode 1.  

ffof said:

We just watched Episode 1.  

Wow - from season 6?  How?  Their site says it starts on Sunday:

http://www.sho.com/sho/shameless/home

On demand>?  It was listed.  We watched.

Interesting - looks like they did this for Shameless and Billions:

Starting on January 1st, both shows’ 2016 premiere episodes will be
available on YouTube, Facebook and SHO.com, as well as for download as a
free video podcast on iTunes. Further, non-subscribers will be able to
sample each episode via Hulu, Roku and Sony PlayStation Vue, as well as
multiple television providers’ free On Demand channels, websites and
applications. Showtime customers will also be able to watch both shows
via Showtime Anywhere, Showtime On Demand, and the stand-alone streaming
service Showtime, available via various streaming platforms.

I really like "Red Oaks" on Amazon. It's a 1980's era comedy set mostly at a fictitious Red Oaks country club in NJ. Good cast: Paul Reiser, Jennifer Grey. Good shenanigans among the NJ well-to-do

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Making A Murderer" yet. Totally engrossing true story about a man who was wrongly convicted of rape who served 18 years, was released, and then re-arrested soon after for murder. We're 5 episodes in and it's gripping!!

TarheelsInNj said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Making A Murderer" yet. Totally engrossing true story about a man who was wrongly convicted of rape who served 18 years, was released, and then re-arrested soon after for murder. We're 5 episodes in and it's gripping!!

Just starting watching making a murderer and yes it is interesting, but hardly the only show of this nature, although probably more detailed than most. If you want to learn more about other injustices in our justice system and much closer to home look up the Central Park 5. That is another "documentary" that will make your skin crawl as to what was done to these kids (mostly young teenagers) and most of which were finally freed after spending a couple of decades locked up for something they did not do. 

Anyone watch Borgen - the Danish political drama?  It looks right up my alley, but doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere. Anyone know where to watch it? 

mantram said:

Anyone watch Borgen - the Danish political drama?  It looks right up my alley, but doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere. Anyone know where to watch it? 

Sadly, I'm pretty sure you have to buy it (iTunes).  We want to watch it too.

We've just finished the last season of Crossing Lines; really enjoyed that. Lots of plot lines that seem quite relevant to right now. 

Also we're enjoying an old (from 2007) UK series with Sarah Smart among other great actors:  Five Days. what we like about this series is that it calls you on the conclusions you're jumping to, based on the info it's giving you, then showing how you shouldn't think you know everything. It's got Edward Woodward, Hugh Bonneville, oh lots of people I can't think to name now. 

We finally caught up with How to Train Your Dragon, both 1 and 2. 

Mozart in the Jungle is back!!!

And British series, Coroner. Seems light but is involving without being gory. Fairly well played, you'll know many of the actors, and the locations are lovely.

Thanks @mjh. That's a lot of episodes/seasons to buy! 

Fans of real-life crime might enjoy The Staircase, a series on Sundance and elsewhere about a murder and trial. I found it after watching The Jinx, and thought it was really well done.

mantram said:

It's an excellent series.  I watched it on free-to-air TV when it was shown on SBS TV here in Australia (last year?).

marksierra said:
mantram said:

It's an excellent series.  I watched it on free-to-air TV when it was shown on SBS TV here in Australia (last year?).

You can also get it through BCCLS if your library is a member.  I know Maplewood Library and Millburn Library belong to this lending system.  That's how I got to see it. 

j_r said:

Fans of real-life crime might enjoy The Staircase, a series on Sundance and elsewhere about a murder and trial. I found it after watching The Jinx, and thought it was really well done.

+1

while awaiting the State of The Union, I stopped by Grandfathered on Fox, with John Stamos. Jesus, it's the worst television I've ever seen. Unbelievably awful. Paget Brewster of Criminal Minds is in it. The shame  

If anybody wants something completely silly, give "Telenovela" a shot. It's a send-up of Latin soap operas, starring Eva Longoria, and I'm finding it pretty damn funny. The writing is very clever, although Longoria herself is a little too much like her character in "Desperate Housewives." Still, I had many laugh-out-loud moments in the first few episodes. You can get caught up with the first few on demand, at least in DISH.

To who ever mentioned Time in Between, the Spanish language[sub titled] TV series that takes place in the mid 1930s - Thank You!!!   What a magnificent show,  from the story lines, to character development, to the costumes - just gorgeous.  And such a nice treat to watch an un-rushed story, with absolutely no gratuitous violence.

I just started watching Blunt Talk. I can't stop laughing. If you like Patrick Stewart, give it a try.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.