What series should I watch next?

I knew I'd heard of Mapp and Lucia. Channel 4 did a version of it in the 80s which ran for longer IIRC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapp_and_Lucia#Channel_4

Some IMDb folk prefer that version (just like Poldark fans). Personally, I had fun with this modern one.

I watched the first episode of Life in Pieces yesterday. Pretty good... I'll try it for awhile. Very quirky, and a great cast.

Not a series, but I've been watching "Exodus: Gods and Kings" in parts and it's an enjoyable waste of time. Gotta love the cameos, especially because they're a bunch of non-Egyptians and non-Israelites playing those roles. In the grand scheme of things, the movie is only a small step away from Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Edward G. Robinson, and the glorious Anne Baxter.

PeggyC said:
I watched the first episode of Life in Pieces yesterday. Pretty good... I'll try it for awhile. Very quirky, and a great cast.

I didn't like the pilot but I am willing to give it a few more shots (I didn't like Modern Family when it started either but my opinion quickly changed over time).

The Life in Pieces pilot suffered from Pilot Syndrome (Shoe-Horning in information that feels unnatural). Exaggerated Example: "Hey, I'm your Brother. Ever since dad died and mom remarried a woman, I've had your back. Especially when you were in rehab."

I agree about the problems with pilots. Quite often I dislike a pilot show but go on to love the show when it gets into its stride and the actors relax into their characters.

Well, that's sad. Henning Mankell has died, of cancer. Wallander will have no new titles.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/swedish-crime-writer-henning-mankell-dies/6829396

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the show had lots of books to work from, because I like Wallender a lot. But it is still very sad about the author.

We just discovered "Shetland," a murder mystery set in the Shetland Islands. Accent (very Scottish) problems up the wazoo, but the captions make it easy to keep up. Good show.

I just finished watching The Time In Between on Netflix. Season 1 17 episodes. Spanish speaking with subtitles. So many layers of emotions and plot and intrigue. I loved all of the actors and settings from Madrid to Morocco and back to Madrid and Portugal and Madrid again. Family, friends, politics, loyalty - it has it all. Great entertainment!

If you're into period dramas, and pioneer histories, and you have a choice between The Secret River and Banished then choose Secret River.

It's not about whether modern slang intrudes on older settings, or even on use/lack of UK regional accents, or prevalence of modern dentistry and hairdressing. Frankly, this whole 'inspired by' historical events malarkey totally misrepresents and distorts the truth so that cloth that should be fading and sea stained is dry cleaned and freshly-pressed, no one sweats despite being overdressed and bareheaded in the scorching Australian summer, no one has a mosquito bite let alone a midgie bite or a sandfly bite or jellyfish sting (unheard of in those parts, and by the time of the action, these wounds should be festering). No one is sunburnt or peeling - that doesn't even happen now. There aren't any flies or ants (no bull ants, no meat ants, no honey ants, no white ants...) The problem with stores and supplies is brushed off as 'a kind of rot' and too many mouths, we don't see anyone actively doing much about it (we know much more was done, and also with the local Koori who are never seen and rarely mentioned in this production). Real people's stories are hugely rewritten: both backstory and colony life, so that ages, transportation records, life as a convict then on manumittance or on pardon are unrecognisable.

Banished is a lovely romantic notion of what a difficult time might be like. If your idea of difficult is a broken fingernail, or no phone signal. There are better 'settling Australia' stories, without the 'language'.

Oneofthegirls - Glad to hear The Time in Between is now a movie. It is a wonderful novel and I was privileged to meet the author Maria Duenas at a Seton Hall program.

Galileo - absolutely an amazing story. Maria Duenas must be an amazing woman to have written such a genuinely heartfelt story on every level. You can feel the human interaction in every episode. And the ending did not disappoint

Really enjoying Narcos.

Quantico seems promising.

Waiting for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle_(TV_series)

We're finally diving into Masters of Sex on Showtime, and really enjoying it so far. Virginia is such an interesting character!

Tarheels, Virginia gets more and more interesting as the show goes on. Surprisingly, so does Bill's wife, whose name I can't remember right now (Libby?). I love it.

PeggyC said:
Tarheels, Virginia gets more and more interesting as the show goes on. Surprisingly, so does Bill's wife, whose name I can't remember right now (Libby?). I love it.

Oooh, that's good to know! She's a moderately interesting character now, but we're only 3 episodes in. More progressive than I would expect.

I was surprised/amused by the Masters sleeping in twin beds. I kinda thought that was just a 50s TV thing, not a 50s real life thing!

Watched the first episode. Pretty gripping. Not all of the ridiculousness of the OITNB characters.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
I've been watching WENTWORTH on Netflix. If you like OITNB this is similar but darker. Not really funny at heart. Great characters. Very engaging.

DOn't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Ray Donovan on Showtime is terrific. with Liev Shreiber and John Voigt. It just finished Season 4.

http://www.sho.com/sho/ray-donovan/about

TarheelsInNj said:

PeggyC said:
Oooh, that's good to know! She's a moderately interesting character now, but we're only 3 episodes in. More progressive than I would expect.
I was surprised/amused by the Masters sleeping in twin beds. I kinda thought that was just a 50s TV thing, not a 50s real life thing!

The beds were definitely a TV thing in the 50s and 60s, because the suggestion of sex was considered too shocking. But my parents slept in twin beds for as long as I could remember. My mother couldn't sleep any other way. Not sure why!

My father told me he had to sleep in a twin bed over a King bed otherwise he'd never get any sleep!

BTW, I tried a new show last night on PBS: Home Fires. Very good if you like low-key period British dramas with lovely scenery and good acting. I think it has promise. It's about the women in a rural village who are trying to keep the Women's Institute going as WWII begins to loom over the country.

The new season of Homeland seems to be off to a good (i.e. tense) start.

Apparently the Miss Fisher Mysteries are available over in your neck of the woods. Based in marksierra's part of Aystralia (but way before he was born!), feel free to ask any questions about language, customs, dress etc. Note that they're a hoot for us, too, and the locales are quite nostalgic.

The series is based on Kerry Greewood's wonderful series of novels with the racy Phrynne Fisher as heroine.

Can't remember if I already mentioned "Life in Pieces." Great ensemble cast, quirky as hell, and very funny. Laugh out loud funny at times.

Tony Robinson, doing a kind of extended 'Time Team' in "Down Under".

He's so enthusiastic, and for him it's such an adventure, it's really enjoyable. Well made, kind of a Who do you think you are, Australia?? cheese or Horrible Histories.

http://www.history.co.uk/shows/tony-robinson-down-under

I just finished Happy Valley, a Netflix BBC contemporary mystery series about the unraveling of a kidnapping. Six one-hour episodes which really held my interest. I highly recommend it.

foxychica said:
I just finished Happy Valley, a Netflix BBC contemporary mystery series about the unraveling of a kidnapping. Six one-hour episodes which really held my interest. I highly recommend it.

Loved it and am wishing for more.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.