What series should I watch next?

imonlysleeping said:

ridski said:

Robert_Casotto said:
Mr. Robot bored me by episode three. Starting on Fear the Walking Dead because The [actual] Walking Dead didn't have enough actual Walking Dead in it to interest me.
Is it worth starting? It sounded like A Very Brady Apocalypse to me and I know how it ends already.
I think it's great (and not remotely boring) and it has nothing to do with the apocalypse. Definitely worth at least watching one episode.

I'm talking about Fear The Walking Dead.

If you like mysteries, I would add Masterpiece: Mystery to your DVR lineup. I've been watching "Case Histories" with Jason Isaacs recently, and I really like them. Reminds me of the other show with Kenneth Brannagh as Swedish detective Kurt Wallander.

Thumbs up for Bloodline. I've been binge-watching that since last night, and I can't stop. Also I recently watched the first season of Turn: Washington's Spies, which is on Netflix and is very good. And I watched a British mini-series called Secret State starring Gabriel Byrne. I checked it out from my library, not sure if it's streaming anywhere.

Catastrophe on Amazon is prickly fun.

Introduced shemademedothis to Catastrophe, and another friend: neither could look away from the screen! smile

Rewatching Mozart in the Jungle... grin

Just tuned into this thread and have been skimming through it. What's amazing is just how many different series there are to choose from. Just not enough time, especially if one is also a movie buff.

For my two cents' worth: I think The Americans is the best and most consistent series currently on TV. The problem with too many series I find is that after a season or two, they really deteriorate. Scandal and Orphan Black are good examples. They started off strong but went downhill. (Scandal can still be an amusing watch, though don't expect anything remotely resembling believability.)

[Edited because half of my third paragraph mysteriously vanished. Don't have time right now to rewrite, so just deleted.]

I've been watching WENTWORTH on Netflix. If you like OITNB this is similar but darker. Not really funny at heart. Great characters. Very engaging.

I'm done with Breaking Bad and still waiting for Netflix to put up the rest of Mad Men. I started Walking Dead. The Zombies can become annoying but the storyline does keep your interest. I'm towards the end of Season 3. Sons of Anarchy is also supposed to be good. Surprised you didn't like the Wire, that was one of my favorite HBO series. I haven't read the previous threads so Im sure all the Usual suspects hv also been mentioned (Homeland, Shameless, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk, etc)

The Brink, The Brink, The Brink. And I say that as the opposite of a Jack Black fan. The writing is awesome and Tim Robbins is a riot. Thanks, @PeggyC!

Just finished The Fall. Loved, loved, loved it. Superb acting. Gripping two season series about a serial killer.

Might be an interesting show, too bad it's on Amazon.

The Man in the High Castle:

The Man in the High Castle, based on the novel from acclaimed author Phillip K Dick. The newest Amazon Original series takes a glimpse into an alternate history and what life may have been like had the Allied Powers lost WWII.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00RSGFRY8/186-0417224-5610045?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Narcos on Netflix is pretty awesome

I am sinking deep in to Wentworth. Very unsettling prison drama with a Martha Stewart clone.

Way more violent and hard core than Orange is the New Black.

j_r said:
The Brink, The Brink, The Brink. And I say that as the opposite of a Jack Black fan. The writing is awesome and Tim Robbins is a riot. Thanks, @PeggyC!

RIGHT?!?!?! And I'm not a fan of Jack Black either. But it's like Adam Sandler: once in a blue moon he does something I think is great.

I tried The Bastard Executioner, which is getting critical acclaim, but it's too gory for my taste. Hope The Last Kingdom is more to my liking when it starts.

Did anyone say Mapp and Lucia? So not what I expected! And such a hoot!

UK small village character study, NOT a detective drama. Stars Anna Chancellor among other very good actors.

Also, nearly wetting myself with modern comedy Catastrophe. And Aussie series Utopia, if you can find that somewhere you have to see it especially if you thought The Office was good. This is written by Rob Sitch and Santo Silauro; very very similar in style to The Games but different subject matter. (My sister can't watch Utopia because it's too close to the university bureaucracies she worked with all her life, even though it's not about academia)

That Aussie Utopia sounds VERY different to the British show Utopia which is currently being developed into an American show called Utopia for HBO.

Ignore the US Fox show Utopia, that was a reality TV series which was instantly canceled.

Ridski, it is!!! I was hesitant at first, until I saw who wrote it. They have written serious stuff too but comedy and satire are their forte. And this is too clever.

They had a much earlier series, Frontline, which parodied the half hour current affairs shows that grew around 60 Minutes. It was so good many people could tell if it was a doco on a real anchorman and production team, or a send-up; and the stories they made up either foreshadowed real ones, or were just behind real ones, by a week even though eps were made ages before.

joanne said:
Ridski, it is!!! I was hesitant at first, until I saw who wrote it. They have written serious stuff too but comedy and satire are their forte. And this is too clever.
They had a much earlier series, Frontline, which parodied the half hour current affairs shows that grew around 60 Minutes. It was so good many people could tell if it was a doco on a real anchorman and production team, or a send-up; and the stories they made up either foreshadowed real ones, or were just behind real ones, by a week even though eps were made ages before.

And that sounds a lot like Brass Eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Eye

Shows that should be good but actually suck after a while:

Sex Drugs & Rock and Roll

Mr. Robot

Fear the Walking Dead

Humans

Ridski, I think Frontline may have just pre dated Brass Eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontline_(Australian_TV_series)

Noo2wood, we loved Humans. Some of the middle drags a bit ( it was my falling-asleep weeks), but the last ep was good.

I liked Humans a lot. Also like Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll. It started to drag after a few episodes, then picked up and got interesting again. Actually, both of them did that.

Sounds right, but Brass Eye was a spin off of The Day Today, which came from the radio show On The Hour

grin we've both got that strong tradition of sending up authority that takes itself too seriously. And doing so with very dry wit! If you get a chance, try to catch an ep of Mavid Brampston (from the 60s), or Cactus Island/How Green Was My Cactus (radio plays) or Fredd Dagg esp any episode on the fine sport of farnarckling (another radio series, short eps, from John Clarke).

If you're into political satire, you really can't do much better than Clarke and Dawe but it does help to understand a little about Aussie current affairs. These two are very experienced observers and writers and no longer bother with impersonations. They name characters and re-enact events. Sheer beauty.

Oh, BTW, did you see my PM?

I haven't read this whole thread but my SIL from France has been visiting and she insisted that we watch the show she has been binge watching.

It is called BORGEN and it is about a Danish female politician and how she learns to "play the game", strategize, take risks, take control and go home to assume her role as wife and mother to her husband and kids each night. Pretty great stuff so far. Evil characters, paternal characters, chameleons, realistic talk about things like eating under stress and having nothing to wear that fits just before going on-air in political debates etc.

I just searched Google for an web link and it appears that Vanity Fair agrees that it is binge-watching worthy! http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/09/borgen-binge-watch-streaming

joanne said:

Oh, BTW, did you see my PM?

I did, I just haven't had the time between work and Panto stuff. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

The key to shows for me is that the people in the show behave like people really behave. Humans is okay on that front. The wife is great. Being a musician myself, Sex Drugs and Rock Roll is not quite holding up. And the family in Fear annoys me. But I'll keep watching to see where it goes

Noo2wood, if you can find it, the Aussie Utopia and the U.K. Mapp and Lucia will suit you, then. Mapp and Lucia is only short, I wanted more than the three or four episodes we got. I did need to turn on closed captions at first, because Miss Mapp is particularly 'toothy' and difficult to understand (which is part of the point of her character).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapp_and_Lucia_(BBC_TV_series)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.