What series should I watch next?

joanne said:
Wendy, the apparent reveals Peggy and I have shared are covered in the basic gloss on the series, they're not 'spoilers'. When you read the basic information about the series, you learn it's about AI, with the artificial life forms called Synths and that the episodes deal with how various (named) families deal with increased Synth use in all facets of daily life. The PR materials highlight similarities with I, Robot. We haven't given anything away, except actor connections with other programs.

Thanks Joanne (and Peggy). As I wrote I above, I could have been wrong and I appreciate you correcting me. All I saw and merely skimmed (and didn't read it carefully because I thought it looked too detailed, hence possible spoiler material) was a whole lot of back and forth between the two of you about what I thought was the show itself and where it was going. So I suppose you could consider it a warning. heh. I'll go back and read more of what the two of you wrote as the show itself sounds interesting in addition to the other programs the actors may have been in. Here's to immersion in wonderful stories!

grin in which case you should know that superficially Humans sounds like I, Robot but isn't really like it all.

(I am so happy that emoticons are back!)

I haven't tried I, Robot yet. Maybe I will, now.

In 2016, my sister-in-law's new show - "The Catch" on ABC. Thursdays at 10pm starting in March 2016. She's the lead.

"The Catch — which is set to bow at midseason — centers on Alice, a successful fraud investigator (Enos) who’s about to be the victim of fraud herself by her fiancé Kieran (Krause). Between her cases, she is determined to find him before it ruins her career."

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oANG1XrLqA

Peter Krause from Six Feet Under (one of my favorites!) was just recast as the male lead.

https://tvline.com/2015/07/14/peter-krause-the-catch-recast-shonda-rhimes-abc/

(ETA, some of you may remember that my sis-in-law also starred in The Killing on AMC)

LOL can't watch the trailer outside the USA. Sigh.

composerjohn said:
In 2016, my sister-in-law's new show - "The Catch" on ABC. Thursdays at 10pm starting in March 2016. She's the lead.
"The Catch — which is set to bow at midseason — centers on Alice, a successful fraud investigator (Enos) who’s about to be the victim of fraud herself by her fiancé Kieran (Krause). Between her cases, she is determined to find him before it ruins her career."

Trailer:
_oANG1XrLqA

Peter Krause from Six Feet Under (one of my favorites!) was just recast as the male lead.

(ETA, some of you may remember that my sis-in-law also starred in The Killing on AMC)

I am very much looking forward to this!! I'm a big "Shondaland" fan, though How To Get Away Woth Murder never really grabbed me.

j_r said:
Anybody watching Shetland? Never heard of it before last night, when I caught about five minutes before the phone rang. It looks promising.

Yes, I have gotten caught up in this. That bleak, Scottish setting is like another character.

j_r said:
Anybody watching Shetland? Never heard of it before last night, when I caught about five minutes before the phone rang. It looks promising.

Where is it? I couldn't find on iTunes or Netflix.

composerjohn said:

Trailer:
_oANG1XrLqA

Yummy. Can't wait!

I watched two episodes of Shetland. I really enjoyed it, especially the accents. It was a bit hard to folliw at first, but once I got into it, it wasn''t. Is it on Netflix as well as PBS?

A series we've just started to watch on Netflix is Dicte--about a fortyish Danish woman journalist, solving mysteries, most of which seem to have to do with women and children. In Danish with English subtitles, and a really excellent bunch of actors. We in America sometimes forget that there are really good programs and actors about whom we don't know.

Here's a link to lots of good British shows. Seeing this reminded me of another British cop show I enjoy, DCI Banks.

http://thebritishtvplace.com/where-to-watch-british-tv-in-the-us/

From the link:

Local PBS Member Stations and Independent Public TV Stations
There are 300+ PBS member stations in the US and its territories that broadcast the British programs provided by PBS. Many of them, plus independent public TV stations, also air additional British TV shows that they secure on their own, thanks to viewer donations that make these program purchases possible. (Hint, hint.)
For stations that air more than PBS’ British TV titles, the shows on them vary from market to market, from station to station, but favorites such as Monarch of the Glen and My Family tend to show up regularly.
Many British TV shows also premiere in the US exclusively on public TV stations. The period police procedural, WPC 56, and two of my favorite shows out of Scotland — the Scottish noir crime drama Shetland, and the long-awaited second season of the Edinburgh-set detective drama Case Histories, recently made their stateside debuts in local markets.
DCI Banks, Death in Paradise, Father Brown, and Scott & Bailey made huge splashes when they premiered on this side of the pond, and have been massively popular in the markets where they have been screening. (New seasons of each have premiered in 2015.)

Finished all seasons of Homeland recently. Loved it!

Anybody ever watch Shameless on Showtime with William H. Macy? Any good?

I see that there are multiple seasons available On Demand on FIOS.

Has anyone else tried "Brink"? It stars Jack Black as a government flunky who is posted in the Middle East and becomes accidentally embroiled in international affairs when he is trying to score drugs for his boss (Tim Robbins) in a market and a riot breaks out. It is irreverent as hell and extremely funny.

Vicious is on Amazon Prime. If anyone but Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi were in it, it would be pretty bad. With them, it's watchable and fun.

Thanks to this thread we are two seasons into a Nurse Jackie addiction. We are actually adding Showtime just for this reason.

jimmurphy said:

We watch Shameless. At it's best it is among the best things on TV, but it can be pretty uneven. We started watching it because William H. Macy is in it, but in fact I think he is easily the show's weakest link. Obviously he's a fantastic actor, but his character and storyline are a cartoon compared to the rest of the show. On the other hand, Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White, and Emma Kenny, none of whom I had ever heard of before this show, are all outstandingly good.

debby said:
Thanks to this thread we are two seasons into a Nurse Jackie addiction. We are actually adding Showtime just for this reason.

We just finished Nurse Jackie (also thanks to this thread!). We loved it!

Apologies if this show has been mentioned on the thread earlier, but The Newsroom just became available on Amazon Streaming (free for Prime members - at least the first 2 seasons; I don't think Season 3 is free yet). I've never been a huge Sorkin fan, but I am really enjoying it. Jeff Daniels is a revelation - I've never seen him do anything like this character, and I am totally believing it. Emily Mortimer is also pretty great and I think Sam Waterston is doing some of his best work ever. Other standouts: Olvia Munn, Alison Pill, actually there is a depth of very talented actors on the show. Recommend checking it out.

Loved Newsroom season one. Then something weird happened to it and it crashed really fast in season two. Does season three get better?

Sorkin leaves me cold. Or annoyed.

BrickPig said:

jimmurphy said:
We watch Shameless. At it's best it is among the best things on TV, but it can be pretty uneven. We started watching it because William H. Macy is in it, but in fact I think he is easily the show's weakest link. Obviously he's a fantastic actor, but his character and storyline are a cartoon compared to the rest of the show. On the other hand, Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White, and Emma Kenny, none of whom I had ever heard of before this show, are all outstandingly good.

We watched the first episode - not much work form Macy in that one. The plot was kind of depressing, given their situation, but kind of uplifting to watch how the kids all deal with it.

I think we'll keep watching...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Totally agree. 100%.

ridski said:
Loved Newsroom season one. Then something weird happened to it and it crashed really fast in season two. Does season three get better?

I just finished season 1 so I don't know. I'm bummed to hear you didn't like season 2 as much, but I think I'll forge ahead. Interestingly - wikipedia says "Critical reaction to the series in its first season was mixed.[63][64] The show's second and third seasons saw more positive responses from reviewers.[65][66]"

Another show I watched recently was Bloodline which I thought was fantastic, but I'd watch Kyle Chandler eat a ham sandwich, so I don't know how much weight you can give my review. Norbert Leo Butz, who I believe is a local (?) is one of the main characters as well. All the actors who play the family: Chandler, Butz, Sissy Spacek, Linda Cardellini, Ben Mendelsohn, are fantastic. Chloe Sevigny (always have liked her) plays a supporting character - almost didn't recognize her - she also does great work and it's good to see her again.

I keep meaning to get to Season 2 of The Fall - thought Season 1 was intriguing and Gillian Anderson outstanding.

There's a show called Rectify that recently came out with its second season (it's on Amazon streaming, but not free on Amazon Prime). Interesting story about a son who was sent to prison as a teenager for a murder he may/may not have committed and now is coming home after 19 years on death row. Explores how his family and his small town is dealing with his release; and he, his freedom and all the years he's lost. Understated yet compelling and very well-done.

The Americans is consistently great. Matthew Rhys I already liked going in, but Keri Russell surprised the hell out of me. She's so good.

Someone upthread mentioned 5 Days - about a mom who goes missing and how the family deals with it. I also thought it was very good and worth watching. There was an Irish series (I think it was only 4 or 5 episodes) called "Amber" about a missing teenager, the efforts to find her; and the aftermath of her disapperance among her divorced parents, her friends, the police, community. It was riveting and heartbreaking. Believe it's on Netflix.

Loved Damages; even though the cases/stories which were necessary to continue exploring the mentor/protege relationshiop between Glenn Close and Rose Byrne got a little more ridiculous every season; both the leads were amazing and kept me watching.

I really really want to like the Closer. Love Kyra Sedgwick and love police procedurals but her attempt at a Georgia accent is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I can't get through a single episode.

Other series I've liked that I'm not sure have been mentioned in the thread: Southland (about LA police officers; excellent cast), and In Treatment (Gabriel Bryrne as a therapist who is all messed up himself - I think the first season is now on Amazon prime).

composerjohn said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
Totally agree. 100%.

I have not been a fan of most of his work but I'm enjoying Newsroom a lot. I felt like an outcast when the West Wing was on the air because it seemed like I was the only person on earth who absolutely could not stand it.

kriss said:

I keep meaning to get to Season 2 of The Fall - thought Season 1 was intriguing and Gillian Anderson outstanding.

Season 2 is even better. We loved it!

composerjohn said:

kriss said:

Season 2 is even better. We loved it!

Good to know!

Looking forward to your SIL's new series that you mentioned above. I was a devoted watcher of all seasons of The Killing even though the writing took a dive after the first season. Enos' and Kinnamen's chemistry was wonderful and was worth watching just for that, but I was annoyed the direction they took her character. She was great, regardless. And the exchanges between Linden and Holder would literally make me burst out laughing. It's a pity AMC didn't invest more into the show - the first season was absolutely riveting.

Oh gosh, I really didn't care for Bloodline. The story was okay and acting was great, but it just felt too drawn out for me. I read a good review once that said it didn't really consider its audience, aka the binge watchers. It could have wrapped up earlier and the episodes didn't need to be an hour with so many flashbacks and flash forwards...we just watched the last episode 10 minutes ago, we remember what happened!

In Season 1 of The Fall, Gillian Anderson swims laps. By Season 2, she has mastered flip turns. Great story, too!

I'm catching up on Season 3 of Rectify. Really compelling, but with a slow, heavy pace. It's an interesting departure.

I thought "Newsroom" was wonderful throughout. And I cried when it was over, only partly because of a terrible event with a character I loved. I wish it had kept going

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.