The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Meanwhile, in the back room of politics, this quid pro quo negotiating goes on…..

https://www.propublica.org/article/manchin-gas-pipeline-climate-change-bill

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, in the back room of politics, this quid pro quo negotiating goes on…..

Here's the thing though. His wheeling and dealing will result in the Dems passing legislation that will help millions and millions of people.

When was the last time the Republicans did that?

mtierney said:

Also, the sun came up today.

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, back in reality, bail reform inaction is taking NYC down, day by day….

NYC is not being "taken down." Actually, the law-and-order mayor is scaring people unnecessarily with his rhetoric.

Fear of Rampant Crime Is Derailing New York City’s Recovery 

Violent incidents are up since the pandemic began ⁠— and New Yorkers are nervous. But widespread anxiety obscures the fact that crime is still at decades-long lows.

Part of the outsized perception can be traced to the city’s new mayor, Eric Adams, whose focus on crime helped propel the 22-year veteran of the New York City Police Department into the job.

Once in office, he staked his administration on the idea that he’s uniquely suited to provide a quick fix to the complex problem of eradicating violence in the city. Crisscrossing the city to show up at crime scenes big and small, he became well-known for delivering sermon-like admonitions in apocalyptic terms. “We’re in a real scary place,” Adams said in a May police briefing where he likened the NYPD’s work to war deployment.

Media coverage has followed Adams’s lead. There were nearly 800 stories per month across all digital and print media about crime in New York City following Adams’s inauguration, according to an analysis of data compiled by Media Cloud. That compares to an average 132 stories per month during the eight-year tenure of the previous mayor, Bill de Blasio.

Adams is way worse than de Blasio.

drummerboy said:

Adams is way worse than de Blasio.

No, Adams hasn’t been in office that long to be that bad. I had high hopes for Adams, but it has been disappointing thus far.

The video clip above is the best answer to abortion ever! 

mtierney said:

The video clip above is the best answer to abortion ever! 

I somehow doubt it.

ETA: I couldn't get past the one minute mark.

But it was pretty stupid til that point.

Vasectomies have been reversible for quite some time. So what prevented men from doing this up til now?

And the anti-abortionists will probably be pushing to ban the freezing of sperm pretty soon too.

I would guess that the more likely a man is to oppose women's rights including abortion, the less likely he is to get a vasectomy.

I think the idea has merit. Having to share the outcome and responsibility for unwanted babies with men might just give men pause. It takes two to create a child; nine months to deliver one. Why do men believe it’s the woman’s problem only? Men are not innocent bystanders in the abortion issues.

tjohn said:

I would guess that the more likely a man is to oppose women's rights including abortion, the less likely he is to get a vasectomy.

I think that even a promiscuous male would get a bit of a scare if the burden of unwanted babies was shared. Do you know of any man who enjoys impregnating women and walking away, knowing he will not be held responsible? Notify the authorities!

Or is it still only  woman’s “problem?” 

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

I think that even a promiscuous male would get a bit of a scare if the burden of unwanted babies was shared. Do you know of any man who enjoys impregnating women and walking away, knowing he will not be held responsible? Notify the authorities!

Or is it still only  woman’s “problem?” 

Here's the Republican view on forcing child support:

Let’s say you’ve got a father who doesn’t want to really be involved in
the life at all, really. He knows that if she carries through the
pregnancy he’s going to have possibly some sort of child support
obligation. And so what he wants to do is he wants to, in a sense,
encourage her to go and find a way to get an abortion because he knows
that if it’s a certain individual, if he has any kind of familiarity
with her, he knows that she might be of such state of mind, she may be
in such a vulnerable position that she decides, it’s not worth
everything he’s going to put me through to carry this, this pregnancy
forward. It’s going to be easier, it’s going to be better for me to go
and just terminate this life. And so, what she does is she goes over to
Virginia, she goes over to some other state, where abortion is legal,
and she goes and gets the abortion. And so I think that’s a really clear
possibility if we enact the second amendment here, I don’t want to be
doing anything whatsoever that is encouraging, folks to go and get an
abortion.

Would men elect a nip and tuck, reversible procedure do you think? A woman having to have an irreversible abortion has a lot more invested in the sex game.

Meanwhile Biden hits an all-time presidential low point!

Don't worry. She would never touch this question.

DaveSchmidt said:

GoSlugs said:

I know this is a personal question but so much of what you post seems to be based on a fundamental misunderstanding of modern sexual relationships that I have to ask. 

No you don’t.

Clearly a bridge too far.

Apologies.  If any of you folks who quoted me upstream want to delete those quotes, I would be in your debt. If not, well, then that is on me. 

And no mtierney, unlike some of your half arsed apologies, this one wasn’t because Jamie made me do it. 

GoSlugs said:

And no mtierney, unlike some of your half arsed apologies, this one wasn’t because Jamie made me do it. 

Curious to know who did, though. 

No apology to me, however?

drummerboy

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:41pm Edited

mtierney said:

The video clip above is the best answer to abortion ever!

I somehow doubt it.

You seem to have concentration issues. So often you announce an aversion to opening links, yet go on to criticize what was posted?

You missed the full story  about male contraception. Women need to worry about using contraception pills or devices for decades!

Women have been freezing their eggs for years now to delay childbearing until they are better prepared, or married, or to enhance the possibility of a successful birth. Too bad you didn’t watch the video long enough to hear the same advice to young men to freeze their sperm, and then get a nip and tuck when they are prepared to be fathers.

I think male birth control’s time has come!

mtierney said:

drummerboy

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:41pm Edited

mtierney said:

The video clip above is the best answer to abortion ever!

I somehow doubt it.

You seem to have concentration issues. So often you announce an aversion to opening links, yet go on to criticize what was posted?

You missed the full story  about male contraception. Women need to worry about using contraception pills or devices for decades!

Women have been freezing their eggs for years now to delay childbearing until they are better prepared, or married, or to enhance the possibility of a successful birth. Too bad you didn’t watch the video long enough to hear the same advice to young men to freeze their sperm, and then get a nip and tuck when they are prepared to be fathers.

I think male birth control’s time has come!

Gutfeld is way too stupid and annoying to listen to for any left of time. He's like a low-rent version of Jimmy Dore.

And wow - it's the year 2022 and a conservative is talking about male responsibility for pregnancies!

Where have they been for the last millennium? Do you think this is an original idea?

Embarrassing.

Meanwhile, back at the legendary Trump White House -

Trump was literally his own "Downfall" parody -

Trump’s love affair with “my generals” was brief, and in a statement for this article the former President confirmed how much he had soured on them over time. “These were very untalented people and once I realized it, I did not rely on them, I relied on the real generals and admirals within the system,” he said.

It turned out that the generals had rules, standards, and expertise, not blind loyalty. The President’s loud complaint to John Kelly one day was typical: “You **** generals, why can’t you be like the German generals?”

“Which generals?” Kelly asked.

“The German generals in World War II,” Trump responded.

“You do know that they tried to kill Hitler three times and almost pulled it off?” Kelly said.

But, of course, Trump did not know that. “No, no, no, they were totally loyal to him,” the President replied. In his version of history, the generals of the Third Reich had been completely subservient to Hitler; this was the model he wanted for his military. Kelly told Trump that there were no such American generals, but the President was determined to test the proposition.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/08/15/inside-the-war-between-trump-and-his-generals

drummerboy said:

Gutfeld is way too stupid and annoying to listen to for any left of time. He's like a low-rent version of Jimmy Dore.

I always think of him as the love child of Gilbert Gottfried and Ann Coulter.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

I always think of him as the love child of Gilbert Gottfried and Ann Coulter.

Replace Gilbert Gottfried who doesn't deserve to be in this post with Neil Hamburger and maybe we have a winning combination.

ridski said:

Replace Gilbert Gottfried who doesn't deserve to be in this post with Neil Hamburger and maybe we have a winning combination.

I was thinking the comic persona more than the actual human being.

It's eerie seeing the two together.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.