The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

PVW said:

mtierney -- you've posted excerpts and links to David French's Third Rail Atlantic newsletter a few times. I'm subscribed to that, as well as to a few other Atlantic newsletters. Here's one of them -- Imani Perry's Unsettled Territory -- talking about a topic you often post on:

When Borders Become Death Traps

Thoughts?

I've probably written it 10 times on this board but the most tragic aspect of this is that from an economic growth standpoint, more immigration would be a good thing. Our country's spitefulness is the problem. There is no necessity to turn most of these people away. 

mtierney said:

On the other hand, the left here see evil only in Republicans — effectively cutting out all other voices in order to stay within the parameters of truth as they see it.

You know, it's really hard to not see today's Republican party as not evil. In Washington, their number one job is to obstruct Democrats, who actually try to help people. In the states, they are passing god-awful legislation threatening our democracy, attacking the LGBTQ community, threatening teachers - on and on.

And forget about what they've done to the Supreme Court, which is intent on bringing us back to the 19th century.

Maybe you can tell us the good things the party does that would make us see them more positively.

here's an example of what they're doing way behind the scenes.

seems pretty evil to me.

PVW said:

mtierney -- you've posted excerpts and links to David French's Third Rail Atlantic newsletter a few times. I'm subscribed to that, as well as to a few other Atlantic newsletters. Here's one of them -- Imani Perry's Unsettled Territory -- talking about a topic you often post on:

When Borders Become Death Traps

Thoughts?

the situation on the border has been the focus of many of my comments and  links. 

But what was the president’s first action in the  office? To halt the southern border wall under construction — totally to stick it the eye of Trump. That action is basically the root cause of the torrent of immigrants, not just from Mexico and Central America, but people who come in from all over the world, who heard in the president’s actions and speeches that all would be welcomed! That was his conceit talking, and, we now talk about millions of people arriving.

The total lack of concern for who was entering our country offered  no protection for American citizens during the two plus years of the Covid pandemic. Drug cartels and others with evil intent believe we are delusional, or stupid, or both. We were closing businesses, schools, etc to control and protect our citizens’ health; demanding proof of vaccinations, but illegal, unprocessed  immigrants had entry. Kinda diminishing our mask wearing and hand washing requirements I would think. 

The border wall was a visual reminder that people were welcomed here, but we have to know who they were. Common sense.

Mtierney, you frequently write that millions of illegal immigrants are flooding in especially over the southern border, from ‘all over the world’. Which countries? From Scandinavia? From here and NZ? From Asia? From the UK and Europe?
To me, it seems strange that such migrants would first go to Mexico then sneak over the southern border, rather than simply visit the USA directly and overstay their visas - as they do, here. 
Just wondering. 

joanne said:

Mtierney, you frequently write that millions of illegal immigrants are flooding in especially over the southern border, from ‘all over the world’. Which countries? From Scandinavia? From here and NZ? From Asia? From the UK and Europe?
To me, it seems strange that such migrants would first go to Mexico then sneak over the southern border, rather than simply visit the USA directly and overstay their visas - as they do, here. 
Just wondering. 

There was a family from Ukraine waiting for entry into the USA at the Mexican border. I’m not sure if they are inside the USA now, I haven’t seen anything recently on the news. 
Yes people come from Africa, Middle East, Caribbean and of course the majority are central and south American. Even the Cubans and Haitians are coming through Mexico. The wall hasn’t prevented anyone from climbing over it. The coyotes (traffickers) have ladders wrapped in burlap that they store nearby for easy access. 
The Europeans usually get a tourist visa, and would overstay. 

joanne said:

Just wondering. 

Narrowing down those  statistics to MOL’s home state and county…

https://cis.org/Arthur/Nearly-106-Million-CBP-Encounters-Southwest-Border-Thus-Far-FY-2022

Thank you,  both. The stats are interesting but don’t actually say how people got there cheese

joanne said:

Thank you,  both. The stats are interesting but don’t actually say how people got there
cheese

they book a flight to Mexico, Belize or Guatemala, it’s a network. You pay up front. They pick you up, and move in groups through Mexico. 

This article from Pew is from last year, but it debunks almost all of the misinformation from right wing news outlets that mtierney is unquestioningly swallowing. 

Key facts about the changing U.S. unauthorized immigrant population

joanne said:

Thank you,  both. The stats are interesting but don’t actually say how people got there
cheese

Some come, shanks mare, unbelievably, through dense jungles and treacherous land. You may have seen photos of caravans of humanity traveling north. How many die along the way is unknown. 

The traffickers, drug cartels, and criminals feed off those seeking safe haven here. Immigration control is vital to protect immigrants and keep America safe

Fentanyl is crossing the border illegally  as well — “one pill can kill” — it is not habit forming for most users as the statistics on dead young people across America reveal.

mtierney said:

Some come, shanks mare, unbelievably, through dense jungles and treacherous land. You may have seen photos of caravans of humanity traveling north. How many die along the way is unknown. 

The traffickers, drug cartels, and criminals feed off those seeking safe haven here. Immigration control is vital to protect immigrants and keep America safe

Fentanyl is crossing the border illegally  as well — “one pill can kill” — it is not habit forming for most users as the statistics on dead young people across America reveal.

https://supermacro.substack.com/p/biden-puts-europe-first-and-america

If you’ve  watched Biden speak on the world stage recently, you will understand the link.

mtierney said:

If you’ve  watched Biden speak on the world stage recently, you will understand the link.

That article is a load of cr@p. 
I would be more specific, but it’s not worth the time to cover all the ways it’s cr@p. 
If there’s a particular point that seems especially good to you, I can comment on that. 

nohero said:

mtierney said:

That article is a load of cr@p. 
I would be more specific, but it’s not worth the time to cover all the ways it’s cr@p. 
If there’s a particular point that seems especially good to you, I can comment on that. 

I couldn't get past the first sentence. Too much idiocy already.

drummerboy said:

I couldn't get past the first sentence. Too much idiocy already.

If you read further down, you get to the part where he sounds like Nan and Paul -

Whatever the future holds, Ukraine should be seeking peace now, ceding what Russia controls to preserve a more Ukrainian Ukraine. Instead, the corrupt authoritarian who runs Ukraine instructed his patrons at the G7 to end the war with total victory for Ukraine by the end of the year. For their part, the G7 leaders vowed to “support and stand with Ukraine for as long as it takes.” Apparently this was more encouraging to Ukraine’s dictator than former leaders of Afghanistan, Iraq, or South Vietnam, since he seems to have no intention of negotiating as his country is violently eroded from the east.

I didn’t realize that Ms. Mtierney was so fill of hate for Ukraine, too. 

Sometimes, reading a harsh assessment of what’s happening around the world is painful, but necessary. America has been sending billions of dollars seemingly every other day to Europe and I wonder how we can afford it?

All kinds of advanced weaponry are being shipped to Europe —and i fear we are seeing World War 111 in the making. Are we thinking it through, or acting out?

Back at home, Biden is extremely unpopular and, yet, he disses our Supreme Court on the World stage. America has multiple issues facing it at home, as the often violent summer is at hand. Immigration, inflation, crime and violence in our cities, SCOTUS is being trashed, etc. If the prediction in the link of Russia’s success comes to pass, what happens next?

1. SCOTUS is trashing itself, inventing doctrine to suit its desired outcomes, just what they accuse other Courts of doing.  Just wait till next year, when they make the votes of us citizens inconsequential by handing over the outcome of presidential elections to state legislatures.  Don't know how many other legislatures are as wildly gerrymandered as ours in Wisconsin (statewide, majority of votes in legislative election were for Democrats, but Republicans hold both houses of legislature by comfortable margins, maybe 2/3?), but i bet it's pretty bad, maybe even more skewed than the electoral college?

2. Ukraine may not ultimately be able (probably won't be able) to fight off Russia, though they are giving it a gallant try.  Do we not want to support a sovereign country when it is invaded by an expansionist neighbor?  What happened after the US and Europe stood by while Germany invaded Czechoslovakia in the 1930s?  This unfolding disaster (global famine, anyone) is clearly due to misbehavior of Russia, and i for sure don't see what the solution is at this point, unless the 2 parties can miraculously come up with an agreement.  Meanwhile, Russia is obliterating Ukraine, same as they did in Chechnya, but even more consequential.

Hope everyone enjoys and celebrates our Fourth of July! For the 48 years I lived and raised four children in town, this day brings me the fondest memories! I will never forget the day my 10 year old son came home from the races and other morning activities going on in Memorial Park,, smelling awful, and dirtier than usual! He was so happy and proud to tell me he had a job with the circus! He had been given a pail and shovel and instructed to follow the elephants!

mjc said:

1. SCOTUS is trashing itself, inventing doctrine to suit its desired outcomes, just what they accuse other Courts of doing.  Just wait till next year, when they make the votes of us citizens inconsequential by handing over the outcome of presidential elections to state legislatures.  Don't know how many other legislatures are as wildly gerrymandered as ours in Wisconsin (statewide, majority of votes in legislative election were for Democrats, but Republicans hold both houses of legislature by comfortable margins, maybe 2/3?), but i bet it's pretty bad, maybe even more skewed than the electoral college?

Some prologue helps to explain our divided national dialogue …..Cause and effect…..

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/07/lessons-from-the-lefts-implosion/

mtierney said:

Some prologue helps to explain our divided national dialogue …..Cause and effect…..

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/07/lessons-from-the-lefts-implosion/

Williamson gets it exactly wrong. The Trumpist triumph of taking over the Supreme Court was in the face of broad public opinion against such an outcome. 

nohero said:

Williamson gets it exactly wrong. The Trumpist triumph of taking over the Supreme Court was in the face of broad public opinion against such an outcome. 

Apparently the media you chose doesn’t  cover the “broad public Opinion” voiced by pro-life America. 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Apparently the media you chose doesn’t  cover the “broad public Opinion” voiced by pro-life America. 

I think you mean minority public opinion.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Your response is very insulting.  I described the facts, about how the 3 Trump nominees to the Supreme Court were able to be there and form the majority that issued the rulings being discussed.  It's ridiculous to pretend that didn't happen, and rude to lecture someone else who doesn't pretend it didn't happen.

nohero said:

Your response is very insulting.  I described the facts, about how the 3 Trump nominees to the Supreme Court were able to be there and form the majority that issued the rulings being discussed.  It's ridiculous to pretend that didn't happen, and rude to lecture someone else who doesn't pretend it didn't happen.

You, nohero, are very quick to see a personal insult where none exists. One might say you are thin-skinned? Also, “wrong thread,” as you often point out.

I discovered an old, yellowed  clipping of a NYT David Brooks essay yesterday on abortion. I’ll try to find the publication date.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

You, nohero, are very quick to see a personal insult where none exists. One might say you are thin-skinned? Also, “wrong thread,” as you often point out.

No, I am not fooled by the act.

The Brooks column may have been published  around the time of this SCOTUS ruling of 2007.

“Gonzales v. Carhart, 550 U.S. 124 (2007), was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court that upheld the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003.[1]The case reached the high court after U.S. Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales, appealed a ruling of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuitin favor of LeRoy Carhart that struck down the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act. Also before the Supreme Court was the consolidated appeal of Gonzales v. Planned Parenthood from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which had struck down the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act.”

@mtierney,

Are you capable of understanding that the Supreme Court is now controlled by Christianist nationalist who are on a course to issue rulings on voting rates that will make it possible to implement white minority domination of politics for some time to come.  If this is some how a good thing for a democracy, please enlighten us.

tjohn said:

@mtierney,

Are you capable of understanding that the Supreme Court is now controlled by Christianist nationalist who are on a course to issue rulings on voting rates that will make it possible to implement white minority domination of politics for some time to come.  If this is some how a good thing for a democracy, please enlighten us.

she thinks this is a Christian country…no one can ever convince her that this country isn’t a Christian country…when it’s really a country a Christian can practice their religion without persecution. 
And she’s all over the place with her two political threads throwing chickens into the lion’s den. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.