Voting against your interests or Now I Need Obamacare

If you don't vote, you get the government you deserve is the saying in our home. That said, I've met many educated, professional people who do not vote yet are the most vocal at cocktail parties about what President So and So is not doing for them. I simply don't understand not voting. And more confused about not voting but being pissed at elected officials.

kibbegirl said:

If you don't vote, you get the government you deserve is the saying in our home. That said, I've met many educated, professional people who do not vote yet are the most vocal at cocktail parties about what President So and So is not doing for them. I simply don't understand not voting. And more confused about not voting but being pissed at elected officials.

This past election, there was the added element of some people declaring that they couldn't vote for either Trump or Clinton, and either voted for Jill Stein or deliberately didn't vote for President at all.

I agree that it's lame not to vote, but I understand the impulse. It's hard to feel that one person's vote counts. And that's because one person's vote does not count.

And this brings us back to activism. The latest election has made it clear that we all have to vote, yet that's not enough. We have to be involved and make our voices heard in many places and in many ways. I now write to my congressman every week. I plan to join some advocacy groups that communicate with my elected officials to say what we want to see.

terp said:

This sums it up.

Once you find yourself posting op-ed cartoons, you know it's time for self reflection.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.