Torpey spending residents' $ again to launch MOL competitor

So, at a cost of $5000 per year, the Village Survey Tool has a whopping total of 30 responses (and only 15 that "count") after it's initial launch over 6 weeks ago.

$5000 for 15 "legit" responses equates to $333.33 per response. Money well spent, for sure.

http://southorange.org/service/peak-democracy/#peak_democracy

I wonder if someone on NextDoor used the software to report this?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2014/06/13/nextdoor-ceo-nirav-tolia-pleads-no-contest-to-reduced-charge-in-hit-and-run/

When will they stop using our money as play money for their own little toys?

dave said:

I wonder if someone on NextDoor used the software to report this?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2014/06/13/nextdoor-ceo-nirav-tolia-pleads-no-contest-to-reduced-charge-in-hit-and-run/

Dave - NextDoor is the FREE tool that many neighborhoods are using. The Village Survey Tool is $5000/year.

How long does it take to be up and running? Have we paid the $5000 yet? Is it almost time for the 2015 payment?

We're excited to be offering an online platform to be able to talk about issues important in the Village, but we aren't quite ready for you yet. As we finish with the preparation, please sign up now so that we can contact you and let you know when we're ready! ......... Which web browser do you use?
No deadline is currently set

This topic has an introduction from the Township of South Orange, 83 visitors and 30 responses.
No deadline for participation is currently set.

It's difficult at times to not be upset with some of the games that are played. The BOT announced that there was another delay with the new website, and that it had been placed on the back-burner because of more pressing needs. A post on MOL asked whether that meant that the launch of Peak Democracy would be delayed as well, since the BOT had previously said that it was tied to the launch of the new website, and whether we were still paying for Peak Democracy in 2014 per the contract.

The response was to hurriedly put Peak Democracy on the existing website, with the first question being what browser people use, and that has been the only question asked so far.

It would have been far better to just say that the launch of Peak Democracy was going to be delayed as a result of the delay of the new website launch. Of course, the question would still have been asked if we're paying for Peak Democracy for 2014 per the contract. Nevertheless, I think that it's preferable to be upfront with these issues instead of playing games.

I'm willing to give Peak Democracy a chance, and think that it might be a good idea. But I think that it's also a good idea to be upfront with residents.

eta - As I recall, the pro-rated cost of Peak Democracy for 2014 was $2400, and the full cost for 2015 will be $5000.

In the real world, all that matters is execution, something VP Torpey repeatedly has demonstrated doesn't hold his attention.

There has been zero follow through from him, even including running for reelection

scottgreenstone said:

There has been zero follow through from him, even including running for reelection

Well, let's not complain about that. ;-)

Not complaining, just showing consistency

cramer said:

eta - As I recall, the pro-rated cost of Peak Democracy for 2014 was $2400, and the full cost for 2015 will be $5000.

Ah yes...$2400 for 15 responses....a mere $160 per response. Money well spent. ;-)

michaelgoldberg said:

Ah yes...$2400 for 15 responses....a mere $160 per response. Money well spent. ;-)

Your analysis is flawed, and misses the point of this hammer in search of a nail solution.

For only $1 per household per year, Torpey and our Trustees can solicit filtered feedback from their constituents. That's only 8 cents per month or a penny per elected official.

Trans_Parent said:

michaelgoldberg said:

Your analysis is flawed, and misses the point of this hammer in search of a nail solution.

For only $1 per household per year, Torpey and our Trustees can solicit filtered feedback from their constituents. That's only 8 cents per month or a penny per elected official.

Nice. That's the funniest financial analysis since we were told that Geothermal would reduce the capital cost of the Village Hall renovation project. ;-)

levisonh said:

This is for replacement of an expiring contract with Leightronix that provides video streaming to our SOMAtv PEG channel (provides all the live Village broadcasts). This service provider had been selected as a interim fix to our streaming requirement when relocating Village Hall while providing the opportunity to review alternative solutions.

NOVUS meets our planned objective to provide agenda management that will allow editing (in this version it will be post production) that cues the video stream to the agenda.

Looks like the latest $5000/yr no-bid software contract has been more fluff than reality, yet again, after 6 months.

The March 9 BOT meeting is posted and it appears to have links to specific agenda items, which would be useful to avoid sitting through the whole meeting. However, all of the links take you to the same place in the meeting, which renders the feature useless. I guess nobody realized that this wouldn't magically happen without a PERSON taking the time to encode the video.

So, something we had for free with YouTube has been replaced with costly software (and which is delaying the posting of meeting videos): http://www.southorange.org/videoviewer.asp

Just like the "survey tool" that we are paying $5000/year to learn what browser 16 people are using:
http://southorange.org/service/peak-democracy/#peak_democracy

Don't worry, it'll work great with the new website.

A new website is coming? I recall hearing something about a contract to an unqualified firm 2.5 years ago, but haven't heard much since beyond "coming soon". ;-)

I had thought that Torpey's $5000 no-bid "survey tool" was dead on arrival since the link no longer appears on the Village website and it only collected 17 responses to the question "what browser do you use?".  However, Monday's Bills List shows a $5000 charge for 2016 that was paid.  Anyone know what's up?

ETA:  It looks like we paid $5000 for this in 2015, as well, and got no use from it.

That's $588.24 per response.    

dave said:

That's $588.24 per response.    

Government, so cost efficient. And then they blindly pay for next year.

Be happy SO is not paying for $400,000 fighter jock helmets.

i like the web page he has touting the four lowest tax increases in fifteen years but not mentioning the statewide property tax cap. 

michaelgoldberg said:

I had thought that Torpey's $5000 no-bid "survey tool" was dead on arrival since the link no longer appears on the Village website and it only collected 17 responses to the question "what browser do you use?".  However, Monday's Bills List shows a $5000 charge for 2016 that was paid.  Anyone know what's up?

ETA:  It looks like we paid $5000 for this in 2015, as well, and got no use from it.

It appears that a 2+ year contract was signed, which explains why we paid $5000 each of the past 2 years, even though it wasn't even used.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!