The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

birdwatcher said:

This is my first year putting out a hummingbird feeder. When do the generally stay until before they migrate south? 

Still seeing them. I leave mine up into October. Here's the thing. They fatten up to make the long journey, males leave first. We will get the ones that went up further North as well stopping by to refuel.

I removed feeders reluctantly so seeing less birds but I keep water available so here's a visitor.

This little bird caught my eye today it was moving down the trunk like a Nuthatch but noticed the markings so I ran and got my camera. 

Good looking bird no?

Ugh - I was really behind on this thread - just caught up on some great pics from everyone! @lynnl199 any luck attracting Orioles on a regular basis?  I think I've only seen them fly through my backyard once or twice.  I'm by Underhill also.

No, I haven’t seen them here on a regular basis. I have only seen them as they migrate north in April. My hummer feeders are out all summer, but just see only hummers at them after April,

We used to have an oriole nest in our backyard growing up here in Maplewood.  They came back every season - usually nested in the same branch.  One year, that branch was pruned back and never saw them again.

Same birdie different angle.

Could that be a warbler?  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-and-white_Warbler/id#

Morganna said:

Same birdie different angle.

Black and White Warbler! A male I think. Nice find.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

This guy was in the privet in our yard today.

probably a couple of weeks old.

Robin?

Morganna said:

This little bird caught my eye today it was moving down the trunk like a Nuthatch but noticed the markings so I ran and got my camera. 

Good looking bird no?

It’s beautiful! I think it is a warbler, but I’m not certain. I’ve been seeing lots of Cape May Warblers the past three days. 

I am new to this page but not Maplewood or birding.  grin Here is a woodcock that was in my yard in the spring. Woodcocks are not backyard birds. I think it was enticed by my leaf litter which provides lots of insects and bugs.

ginpeace said:

I am new to this page but not Maplewood or birding. 
grin
Here is a woodcock that was in my yard in the spring. Woodcocks are not backyard birds. I think it was enticed by my leaf litter which provides lots of insects and bugs.

Welcome! And I remember when you posted this on FB. Pretty sure I snagged the picture and posted it here as a post from FB.

Someone local posted this handsome bird on FB.

Once in awhile you just have to cool down.

I have not reactivated my feeder yet, but Morganna’s Sept. 10 comment reminded me of this brief article from about 4 weeks ago saying “all clear”. At least down in Maryland. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/summer-bird-illness/2021/08/24/0380f856-04ea-11ec-a266-7c7fe02fa374_story.html

dickf3 said:

I have not reactivated my feeder yet, but Morganna’s Sept. 10 comment reminded me of this brief article from about 4 weeks ago saying “all clear”. At least down in Maryland. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/summer-bird-illness/2021/08/24/0380f856-04ea-11ec-a266-7c7fe02fa374_story.html

Thanks for the heads up. I get Audubon emails as well as Cornell Ornithology and hadn't seen anything. 

As for the Hummingbirds they are getting chubby. Lots of action at the feeder this morning as 2 chased each other around. Tried to get a picture, pretty blurry but they were wicked fast.

Enjoy the last sights of the hummingbirds. Last week I was filling the feeders almost twice a day( they are smaller ones). For the past few days, the level hasn’t moved. 
Farewell my sweet little friends. Until next year…..

I was driving back from the train station around 7am this morning, on my own. No dash cam, and we’re not allowed to activate our phones in anyway while driving or else it’s a massive fine (mine was out of reach).

The car ahead of me suddenly slowed at the pedestrian crossing in front of a care home although no-one was there. Then I saw why: two sizeable bush turkeys raced across the road, he pursuing her, she racing hell-for-leather to get away from his lecherous grasp for at least 5 minutes!! Wings spread wide, necks stretched long - high drama all over in a matter of seconds. And yet it was so funny, more so because of their traffic awareness. 
(internet pic)

joanne said:

I was driving back from the train station around 7am this morning, on my own. No dash cam, and we’re not allowed to activate our phones in anyway while driving or else it’s a massive fine (mine was out of reach).

The car ahead of me suddenly slowed at the pedestrian crossing in front of a care home although no-one was there. Then I saw why: two sizeable bush turkeys raced across the road, he pursuing her, she racing hell-for-leather to get away from his lecherous grasp for at least 5 minutes!! Wings spread wide, necks stretched long - high drama all over in a matter of seconds. And yet it was so funny, more so because of their traffic awareness. 
(internet pic)

Now that is drama!

Anyone know anyone who keeps chickens? This cutie is in the Elizabeth shelter.

Hummingbirds still dining.

Saw Hummingbirds yesterday.

An interesting article on taking better photos of our feathered friends.

The take-away?  Aim for the eyes!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/28/avian-eye-how-to-take-photos-of-birds-that-stand-out-from-the-flock

I’ve run out of locals to share this excitement with - and it ALWAYS happens when I can’t get to my phone/camera!

I saw a real, live, wild quoll yesterday! No bigger than my hand; I had to look closely to be sure it wasn’t just a cheeky brown bush mouse and then I noticed the white coin-spots on its back and its long elegant tail. In the foothills of the ‘hinterland’ around the southern part of the Gold Coast : look up Mudgeeraba/Tallai and the Springbrook rainforest. (I was on Old Coach Rd) 

And yeah, seeing wallabies in the morning, in the wetlands as I drive D to the station.  rolleyes Not birds, but great critters. (Sorry, couldn’t turn off bold)

joanne said:

(Sorry, couldn’t turn off bold)

The B icon at the top of the comment box, or Ctrl B

Either will do the trick.

Yep, I know. But this time neither worked on the iPad screen. cheese

marksierra said:

The B icon at the top of the comment box, or Ctrl B

Either will do the trick.

Alas, Humberto has not made any more appearances at Fallen Oaks Manor this season.

I'm going to up my game for next spring though. There's a rose of Sharon tree that does this summer and instead of digging it up, in going to plant trumpet vine below it and train it to grow all over it. I'm just weird like that but maybe it will be a nice multi layer feeding station.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.