The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

Morganna said:

... @joanne. You were one of the first MOL posters who kept this thread going with lovely pictures of Aussie birds. 

Speaking of Aussie birds ... (I think we've met this person further up-thread):

marksierra said:

Morganna said:

... @joanne. You were one of the first MOL posters who kept this thread going with lovely pictures of Aussie birds. 

Speaking of Aussie birds ... (I think we've met this person further up-thread):

Love it! But I do feel bad for her being all alone and not socializing. At least she has them...

I have been a devoted Snoopy fan and as his fans know, this was one of his favorite fantasies.

Oh, I’ve missed Snoopy-Vulture, thank you for reviving him!!

Usually I let @marksierra post these really special finds, but this morning I just can’t help myself. The weekly compilation of our ABC readers/viewers/listeners photos includes some breathtaking studies of birds, sunsets and sunrises, and other moments of beauty people ‘forget’ to see. Eg: the rainbow bee eater, from Western Australia, and the gorgeous rosey galah, the cute numbat, and the stunning planet parade taken on eclipse night….

https://www.abc.net.au/news/abcmyphoto/?nw=0 

joanne said:

Oh, I’ve missed Snoopy-Vulture, thank you for reviving him!!

Usually I let @marksierra post these really special finds, but this morning I just can’t help myself. The weekly compilation of our ABC readers/viewers/listeners photos includes some breathtaking studies of birds, sunsets and sunrises, and other moments of beauty people ‘forget’ to see. Eg: the rainbow bee eater, from Western Australia, and the gorgeous rosey galah, the cute numbat, and the stunning planet parade taken on eclipse night….

https://www.abc.net.au/news/abcmyphoto/?nw=0 

That Numbat is crazy adorable. I've never seen one before. Thank you joanne for the stunning photos!

I'm not seeing anymore Hummingbirds. But the last sighting was a doozy. I was watering the flowers in my Hummingbird garden when the first male of the season buzzed me, first sipping from one of my Foxgloves, then purple perennial Salvias and for his finale he hovered right in front of me assessing the water source. I was transfixed. Then he left me. Heartbreaker.

bikefixed said:

Not the right coloring for any of the hawks in the area. I would have to say turkey vultures.

https://natureintheburbs.wordpress.com/tag/turkey-vultures/

Vultures are very cool birds. Still no hummingbirds, but at least the woodpeckers have been visiting. 

Looks a bit like a pied butcher bird cheese

birdwatcher said:

Vultures are very cool birds. Still no hummingbirds, but at least the woodpeckers have been visiting. 

It looks like the smaller one, the Downy Woodpecker right?

Have you discovered the delightful Tico and Frank, filmed by Mrs Frank (Gina)?
I’ve posted links in the Feathers and Tails news thread…

Morganna said:

Yes- I just enlarged a crummy I-phone photo. We’ve had a number of red bellied woodpeckers too- which we never saw in NY. Love them.  

Morganna said:

Handsome guy.

Cat bird? 

I think it’s a Northern Mockingbird. 

birdwatcher said:

Cat bird? 

Sweetsnuggles said:

I think it’s a Northern Mockingbird. 

birdwatcher said:

Cat bird? 

I would agree. Catbirds are much smoother, and not at all white.

marylago said:

While we were at a vet's office for Keegan we heard some little guy that sounded like a mockingbird but not quite. Eventually we saw him. A little smaller and with a prominent black field on his head. Similar stature and shape but without the white feathers.

bikefixed said:

marylago said:

While we were at a vet's office for Keegan we heard some little guy that sounded like a mockingbird but not quite. Eventually we saw him. A little smaller and with a prominent black field on his head. Similar stature and shape but without the white feathers.

Likely a catbird. They are quite good at mimicry. We had one "call in" a cardinal. The cardinal flew away (seemingly in disgust) when he saw it was a catbird. Pretty funny. 

Morganna said:

birdwatcher said:

Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers look very much alike other than their size.  And, just to be difficult, their size ranges overlap slightly.  I believe there is some other difference also (length of bill perhaps) that is not as obvious at a glance, but I would have to ask my birder spouse.  We recently had the biggest Hairy woodpecker we've ever seen on our feeder ... it was more like Blue Jay size.  But usually what we see are the Downy woodpeckers.

birdwatcher said:

Cat bird? su

Mockingbird. This is a Catbird and speaking of cats, I'm putting together suggestions for protecting birds from Community Cats.

As a cat rescue, I work with friends who do TNVR, (trap, neuter, vaccinate, return). I take the kittens and an occasional a friendly and put them up for adoption, with a contract that they will be indoor only but the ferals, are returned. I did about 50 adoptions last year.

I have had an occasional feral live in my yard and try to cat proof my garden for my bird friends. Even without a feeder, I have plenty of worm, berry and insect eaters in the trees and on the lawn so here are a couple of tricks I've come up with. 

Place large round stones under plants or shrubs, like Peonies, that offer hiding spots.

Sprinkle coffee grounds around hiding spots as the smell is a deterrent.

If you feed a feral, do not leave the plate out beyond mealtime. Leftover cat food attracts Blue Jays to the plate who may be unaware of a nearby cat. An alternate idea is to put plate in a very open spot leaving the cat no close hiding place.

No shrubs under feeders for hiding spots. 

This also helps to protect Chipmunks, Bunnies and Voles.

In a perfect world there would be no homeless cats and certainly no indoor outdoor cats. Between 3 of my trapper friends about 2000 cats were spayed and neutered last year, lots of kittens and friendlies taken off the street but we always need help and the cooperation of pet owners.

bikefixed said:

Agreed on catbird. They make some amazing noises and can screech like a cat. Handsome birds. There are a ton of them around but they hide a bit within the trees. You hear them more than see them. 

Morganna said:

Mockingbird. This is a Catbird and speaking of cats, I'm putting together suggestions for protecting birds from Community Cats.

As a cat rescue, I work with friends who do TNVR, (trap, neuter, vaccinate, return). I take the kittens and an occasional a friendly and put them up for adoption, with a contract that they will be indoor only but the ferals, are returned. I did about 50 adoptions last year.

I have had an occasional feral live in my yard and try to cat proof my garden for my bird friends. Even without a feeder, I have plenty of worm, berry and insect eaters in the trees and on the lawn so here are a couple of tricks I've come up with. 

Place large round stones under plants or shrubs, like Peonies, that offer hiding spots.

Sprinkle coffee grounds around hiding spots as the smell is a deterrent.

If you feed a feral, do not leave the plate out beyond mealtime. Leftover cat food attracts Blue Jays to the plate who may be unaware of a nearby cat. An alternate idea is to put plate in a very open spot leaving the cat no close hiding place.

No shrubs under feeders for hiding spots. 

This also helps to protect Chipmunks, Bunnies and Voles.

In a perfect world there would be no homeless cats and certainly no indoor outdoor cats. Between 3 of my trapper friends about 2000 cats were spayed and neutered last year, lots of kittens and friendlies taken off the street but we always need help and the cooperation of pet owners.

Wow on 2000 thousand cats. Amazing work!

birdwatcher said:

On a different note. I still haven’t seen a hummingbird at my feeder. Are they around (and just avoiding me)?

birdwatcher said:

birdwatcher said:

On a different note. I still haven’t seen a hummingbird at my feeder. Are they around (and just avoiding me)?

I didn't get started soon enough this year (just coming out of a home renovation that has more or less destroyed our yard.)  But I have tried a number of seasons and only seen them once or twice.  They just never seemed to decide on my feeders (and I tried several different ones, had flowers nearby, etc.)  But other friends here have hummers that come back year after year (or maybe their offspring.)  They definitely seem to return again and again once they decide to "adopt" you/your feeder(s).  So I would say keep trying as I plan to do also.

birdwatcher said:

I'm seeing them sporadically. They usually show up at dawn and dusk except for migration season. Most activity is in the late summer early fall when they have to gain weight for the long flight south. I've often noticed activity during rainy days.

birdwatcher said:

I took 2 kittens last week and I'm getting 4 tomorrow.

Hummer back at the feeder tonight near Underhill field. Male last here on May 4. Never saw a female this spring.

I missed it, but my husband saw it...not sure male or female.

I spotted a female Hummingbird after the rain this week. She went for the Honeysuckle not the feeder.

I wish I could have gotten a video of this just now. I was mowing the back yard and I could hear the birdies asking me to get the hell out of there so they could eat. So, I finish and am cleaning the mower and putting it to bed as I hear Mr. & Mrs. Frankie (downy woodpeckers). I look over and I thought I saw one feed the other from the suet cage.

I go inside to get the binoculars and I see that there is a third one. I think it was a fledgling but I don't know. The head plumage seemed a little 'fuzzier' in terms of the black & white pattern. But it was getting fed over and over again. I guess that's a thing.

bikefixed said:

I wish I could have gotten a video of this just now. I was mowing the back yard and I could hear the birdies asking me to get the hell out of there so they could eat. So, I finish and am cleaning the mower and putting it to bed as I hear Mr. & Mrs. Frankie (downy woodpeckers). I look over and I thought I saw one feed the other from the suet cage.

I go inside to get the binoculars and I see that there is a third one. I think it was a fledgling but I don't know. The head plumage seemed a little 'fuzzier' in terms of the black & white pattern. But it was getting fed over and over again. I guess that's a thing.

Sounds cool. I'm getting a lot of action at the suet cage but I'm taking it in at night to deter the raccoons. The nyjer feeder is getting no traffic and I tried adding nyjer to my other feeder but the birds ignore it. Anyone getting any nyjer diners?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.