The Trump Agenda

ml1 said:

It's not a partisan FB page for Republicans. My understanding is that it is a political discussion group and they don't want anyone with a dissenting view.

If it was an advocacy group organized around an issue I get you don't want dissent. But this sounds exactly like what I described. People who want to be protected from other views.
ctrzaska said:

I'll go out on a limb and surmise that the corresponding local Dem groups on FB wouldn't tolerate a Republican interloper in their midst, particularly with debate that doesn't fit the particular worldview espoused within. Hardly surprising the Rep group would be any different.

My understanding of the conservative/libertarian/rep group (and I'm not a member of any politically-aligned FB group, so I'll defer to those who are) is that they felt the need to have a private FB forum (aren't they ALL private?) to freely express opinions and beliefs contrary to the local majority. I hardly think everyone is as open to dissent as they'd like to say they are, and if other local FB comments are any indication (let alone those so hilariously partisan here on MOL), it isn't hard to understand why one group might like a breather from the torches and pitchforks in order to actually hold a conversation.

isn't this all kinda obvious?

you say "freely", but what you're actually describing is "free from dissension"

Yah, that's always healthy.

yet another mark about their poor choices.

ctrzaska said:

ml1 said:

It's not a partisan FB page for Republicans. My understanding is that it is a political discussion group and they don't want anyone with a dissenting view.

If it was an advocacy group organized around an issue I get you don't want dissent. But this sounds exactly like what I described. People who want to be protected from other views.
ctrzaska said:

I'll go out on a limb and surmise that the corresponding local Dem groups on FB wouldn't tolerate a Republican interloper in their midst, particularly with debate that doesn't fit the particular worldview espoused within. Hardly surprising the Rep group would be any different.

My understanding of the conservative/libertarian/rep group (and I'm not a member of any politically-aligned FB group, so I'll defer to those who are) is that they felt the need to have a private FB forum (aren't they ALL private?) to freely express opinions and beliefs contrary to the local majority. I hardly think everyone is as open to dissent as they'd like to say they are, and if other local FB comments are any indication (let alone those so hilariously partisan here on MOL), it isn't hard to understand why one group might like a breather from the torches and pitchforks in order to actually hold a conversation.

If that's the goal, they can enforce a code of conduct to keep the discussion civil. But they don't want dissent of any kind, even if it's polite and well-reasoned. They are entitled to that. But I'm entitled to think they're being wimps. Or "snowflakes" if you prefer.

DaveSchmidt said:

ridski said:

ml1 said:

ctrzaska said:

You know that Monty Python sketch where the guy is looking for the room for an argument?

The entire planet has become an argument room for these people.

They're looking for the room without an argument.

For all we know they're exchanging pot pie recipes in there.

My impression from the article and political conversations I've had with some local conservatives (I'm not on FB, so I can't speak to ml1's broader observation) is that they'd feel perfectly comfortable in the argument clinic. What they don't need is that first room Palin stumbled into.

Sounds like you haven't been checking FB lately.

Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying this. For years conservatives have swaggered around as if they're tough guys. And liberals are all a bunch of weak wusses looking for safe spaces to avoid microagressions.

And now these tough guys need a place to avoid liberals being mean to them.

smile

There IS that. Though that's just here in the bubble, from my experience. The stuff I see coming out of friends' pages not in NY/NJ or even the whole of NE (except SI really), is positively exuberant at times.

I belong to some private political forums on FB. I think this is another area where certain members here show their ignorance. Or maybe it's just the zillionth thing DB knows to his very core, but happens to be false.

You guys should join a private Libertarian forum and watch the insults fly. There was a notable incident where a prominent podcaster started tossing people who were critical of him. This got some play on various web news outlets.

That being said the SJWs have started something here. This victimization rhetoric has definitely spread beyond the left and is now being used by the right and even Chinese nationals to go after the daiai lama.

ml1 said:

Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying this. For years conservatives have swaggered around as if they're tough guys. And liberals are all a bunch of weak wusses looking for safe spaces to avoid microagressions.

And now these tough guys need a place to avoid liberals being mean to them.

smile

It's like watching Revenge of the Nerds now and realizing that the Nerds, who were our heroes as children, invade a sorority to place hidden cameras all over it so that they can post naked pictures of the women, and trick other women into having sex with them by pretending to be their boyfriends, and actually come off as bigger ******** and bullies than the Jocks, but we're still supposed to get behind these guys because they're weird-looking and listen to Devo. You yell "Yay! Go libs! You totally made those Cons cower into their own FB group!" but did you really win, libs? Did you really win?

You gotta hand it to the Repubs. They're even managing to take the victimization card away from exclusive Dem ownership. The irony is just hilarious.

re Democrat vs Democratic:

Democrat is a noun. Democratic is an adjective. Furthermore, the name of the political party is "Democratic Party". Those who say "Democrat Party" are either ignorant of grammar or intentionally insulting by making "Democrat" into a perjorative adjective. Either way, I assume bias as soon as I hear or read that.

They're not being insulting, I think. One is a Republican and a member of the Republican Party. It's not hard for someone to similarly assume a Democrat is a member of the Democrat Party. (Though I just say "Dem" and avoid the whole thing.)

I belong to a Mets fan FB group where a guy had to be tossed for threatening someone. So I'm well aware that any group can get contentious.

I'm just amused at this one specific SOMA conservative group that was formed specifically so these delicate flowers won't have to see responses from big bad liberals like me question

terp said:

I belong to some private political forums on FB. I think this is another area where certain members here show their ignorance. Or maybe it's just the zillionth thing DB knows to his very core, but happens to be false.

You guys should join a private Libertarian forum and watch the insults fly. There was a notable incident where a prominent podcaster started tossing people who were critical of him. This got some play on various web news outlets.

That being said the SJWs have started something here. This victimization rhetoric has definitely spread beyond the left and is now being used by the right and even Chinese nationals to go after the daiai lama.

Many people know the correct name and are choosing to taunt Democrats

ctrzaska said:

They're not being insulting, I think. One is a Republican and a member of the Republican Party. It's not hard for someone to similarly assume a Democrat is a member of the Democrat Party. (Though I just say "Dem" and avoid the whole thing.)

you are quite wrong. The name of the party is the Democratic Party. Every Republican says Democrat Party. It has a long tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

As always with a disputed article, read the comments. But it pretty much nails the history on this.

ctrzaska said:

drummerboy said:

tjohn, ctrzaska, pabulum et al....

I'll ask for the gazillionth time. What is the strategy for capturing the vote of the Trump voter? If we're nice to them and respect them they'll come around?

If you can't answer that question, your other opinions on the subject mean jacksh!t.

By describing people you need to bring onboard as stupid you are lowering yourself to their level. The elitist liberals like yourself base opinions on emotions, once they can get past that who knows if a reasonable dialogue can progress. Unfortunately both parties have been crap for a few decades, putting forth their own survival over the good of the nation.

why can no one answer my question about how to appeal to these people.

The reason I feel free to insult them is because I see them as lost causes. Dems have no chance in hell of winning by trying to appeal to these people. They are dead to me as potential votes.

The obvious solution, as Obama proved in 2008 and 2012, is to turn out new voters, not to go after people who hate you.

I have seen nothing to tell me otherwise.

And please - as if conservatives haven't been insulting liberals for decades now. Do you think "coastal elite" and libtard are terms of endearment? There is an entire media infrastructure dedicated to demonizing liberals.

But you complacent ones don't listen to that media, so you have no clue what's going on on the other side.

You folks pushing this "be polite" line are so naive....

lord_pabulum said:

drummerboy said:

tjohn, ctrzaska, pabulum et al....

I'll ask for the gazillionth time. What is the strategy for capturing the vote of the Trump voter? If we're nice to them and respect them they'll come around?

If you can't answer that question, your other opinions on the subject mean jacksh!t.

By describing people you need to bring onboard as stupid you are lowering yourself to their level. The elitist liberals like yourself base opinions on emotions, once they can get past that who knows if a reasonable dialogue can progress. Unfortunately both parties have been crap for a few decades, putting forth their own survival over the good of the nation.

drummerboy said:

The reason I feel free to insult them is because I see them as lost causes. Dems have no chance in hell of winning by trying to appeal to these people. They are dead to me as potential votes.

The obvious solution, as Obama proved in 2008 and 2012, is to turn out new voters, not to go after people who hate you.

And please - as if conservatives haven't been insulting liberals for decades now. Do you "coastal elite" and libtard are terms of endearment?

totally agree with this statement.

Until these Trump voters realize what Trump is, and what todays "conservatism" is, and recognize how badly they are misled by their belief systems, they can not be reached.

I do not insult people with a broad brush intentionally however its easy to have harsh feelings towards those that saddle us with the insane, religious zealots, bigots and corporatists who rule for the wealthy.

drummerboy said:

And please - as if conservatives haven't been insulting liberals for decades now. Do you think "coastal elite" and libtard are terms of endearment? There is an entire media infrastructure dedicated to demonizing liberals.

But you complacent ones don't listen to that media, so you have no clue what's going on on the other side.

Sure I've heard and read libtard being used in right wing media and comments after articles, the people who use that and like words 'rise' to your level. "Coastal elite" is more descriptive than pejorative. But since Occupy Democrats, VOX and Daily Kos are your go to avenues of information your bubble is safe. BTW I prefer News Hour, the beeb and The Economist

lord_pabulum said:

"Coastal elite" is more descriptive than pejorative.

As a coastal elite, I call BS. (fixed)

Now you've done it, dave23. That typo is going to make our egaligrammarian's day.

DaveSchmidt said:

Now you've done it, dave23. That typo is going to make our egaligrammarian's day.

d'oh!

dave23 said:

lord_pabulum said:

See - descriptive like I said. (thanks db)

Ben Bernake was spotted at the White House.

if you think coastal elite is descriptive, please officially go join the dark side.

lord_pabulum said:

dave23 said:

lord_pabulum said:

See - descriptive like I said. (thanks db)

drummerboy said:

you are quite wrong. The name of the party is the Democratic Party. Every Republican says Democrat Party. It has a long tradition.

As always with a disputed article, read the comments. But it pretty much nails the history on this.
ctrzaska said:

I learn something new and trivial every day.

You think a party deliberately using the wrong word, for decades and decades, to name the other major party in the country is trivia? Other people might think it's an important insight to their generally miserable attitude towards life and childish need to tweak people just to annoy.

Trivia does not automatically consist of that which you are ignorant of.

ctrzaska said:

drummerboy said:

ctrzaska said:

I learn something new and trivial every day.

Sticks and stones and all that. Frankly it's not worth my ire or outrage. Meh.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!