The Supermarket thread

Ya'll are awesome!  grin

@shh I will PM you and for Paypal/Venmo info for the Nutritional Yeast.

@berkeley - Thank you for the offer. If someone else is in need of it, I'll let them take you up on your generosity.

sprout said:

Got firm tofu at Whole Foods a few days ago.

Spouse just saw baking yeast at Stop & Shop this morning.

Anyone know where nutritional yeast can be purchased locally?

I see that company Bob's Red Mill carries it and I know there is a section of his products in Shoprite West Orange. 

Vauxhall Target this morning was pretty good - low on dairy and virtually no meat, but tons of cereal, bread galore, lots of produce and plenty of canned goods. No line to get in or to check out - but the staff seemed to think the rain had a lot to do with that. 

Maplewood Kings had a variety of toilet paper this afternoon - both Charmin and Cottonelle.

I've been hearing talk of coming meat shortages, with all the plant closings. I don't think it's hit yet though.

I had read Shop Rite is now limiting the amount of meat you can buy, I think to two packages per shopper. I understand it’s a way of making more available to more people in a shortage, but I feel like it’s going to result in people feeding families making more trips to more stores more often - which is a lose-lose on many levels. 

Heynj said:

I had read Shop Rite is now limiting the amount of meat you can buy, I think to two packages per shopper. I understand it’s a way of making more available to more people in a shortage, but I feel like it’s going to result in people feeding families making more trips to more stores more often - which is a lose-lose on many levels. 

This was in place last Saturday.  It was two packages of any particular kind of meat. I bought two packages of pork and two of chicken, for instance.  It applies to all sizes, so there was a 2.5 lb bag of chicken leg quarters that counted the same as a package of two boneless breasts.

I understand the goal is to prevent someone doesn't coming in and filling their cart with meat.  We have a freezer we could fill with a 3 month supply but that wouldn't leave much for other people.  We're a family of three so it was manageable for me but I can see where it might be frustrating for larger families.  Or people who are shopping for someone else as well as themselves.

my better half went to millburn shop rite wednesday at 7:30am.  she said she barely passed anyone else in the aisles. 

mrincredible said:

This was in place last Saturday.  It was two packages of any particular kind of meat.

That’s what I thought at first, but as I recall (last Friday) there was sign posted back there saying only two total of any combination of meat, and it gave examples, like you can buy one package of chicken legs and one package of ground beef, etc. The reason I remember is that I had picked up a pack of Italian sausage, a pack of ground turkey and a roaster and then, after reading the sign, spent some time deciding which two I needed most.

Maybe the policy changed by the next day. Or maybe I misread or misinterpreted whatever the sign said.

That 'limit two' policy has been off and on at the South Orange Stop & Shop for several weeks, I assume based on their shipments. It is frustrating as it does cause me to visit more often than I'd prefer, but I understand their challenges. The last couple of times I went (most recently 4/30 AM), the signs simply requested that we buy only what we need (no panic-buying, hoarding). I do worry about shortages with the plant closings. 

I bought 3 meats today at Livingston Shop Rite. (pork, chicken and sausages)  Not sure if I broke a rule or not.

If I did - sorry about that.

DaveSchmidt said:

mrincredible said:

This was in place last Saturday.  It was two packages of any particular kind of meat.

Maybe the policy changed by the next day. Or maybe I misread or misinterpreted whatever the sign said.

Sorry, my mistake: I was in the South Orange Stop & Shop, not a ShopRite. 

Am I imagining it, or has shopping become more expensive? As I was scanning groceries today, I found myself quite surprised at the cost of some of my items - items on my standard list, that I've been buying for years.

Certainly there are far fewer sales and discounts right now.

mrincredible said:

Certainly there are far fewer sales and discounts right now.

This. Fewer items on sale and they are often not in stock. We're paying full price and sometimes more for stuff I usually buy on sale. Also, we're buying substitutions for what we normally buy.  And, at this household where hubster is doing most of the shopping a lot more sweets and what I consider nonessential treats are coming into the house. 

Essex Green Shoprite is stuffed to the gills with brand name toilet paper and paper towels.

mrincredible said:

Essex Green Shoprite is stuffed to the gills with brand name toilet paper and paper towels.

Millburn Shoprite was the same, I was pleasantly surprised, had Wet Ones also, still no Clorox/Lysol wipes however.

Stop and Shop had lots of Puffs tissues and Charmin Soft toilet paper this morning.

Cleaning products are still in short supply.  I just want to find some basic liquid hand soap (not the anti-bacterial stuff that dries out our hands).

Maybe Harmon for hand soap? A friend was there over the weekend - Short Hills - and said the shelves seemed filled in every category. 

Shoprite Essex Green today (this is becoming my Saturday morning ritual). Almost back to normal.

Lots of stuff in paper goods, although much more store brand shelf space than pre-COVID. 

Still no Lysol spray or antiseptic wipes of any kind. Liquid hand soap and a bunch of bottles of hand sanitizer were on display.

Meat section is different. Only 80% ground beef ... maybe there's too much waste in making the 85% or 93% stuff. Not much pork or other beef cuts. Lots of chicken but largely legs and thighs on the bone. I didn't see any whole chickens for sale at all. I got some baby back ribs.

Ice cream is well-stocked. 

There was lots of 93% ground turkey.

rhw said:

rhw said:

What did they do with the other 7% of the turkey?

ridski said:

rhw said:

What did they do with the other 7% of the turkey?

Stuffed pillows and made dusters.

drummerboy said:

Am I imagining it, or has shopping become more expensive? As I was scanning groceries today, I found myself quite surprised at the cost of some of my items - items on my standard list, that I've been buying for years.

I would be surprised if it wasn't.  I'm sure that the stores are incurring more costs for extra cleaning and all of the other precautions they must be putting into place.  And likely up the supply chain as well.

sac said:

I would be surprised if it wasn't.  I'm sure that the stores are incurring more costs for extra cleaning and all of the other precautions they must be putting into place.  And likely up the supply chain as well.

The Shoprite weekly flyer has been very thin these last couple of weeks so far fewer specials. And yes, there are probably higher labor costs associated with what's going on, both locally and on the production and delivery sides.

Two kosher supermarkets will deliver - Aron's in West Orange and Seasons from Clifton.  Both have apps online.  I have used Aron's three times, they usually deliver the next day.   I am getting my first order from Season's tomorrow.  Minimum order for Aron's is $150;  Season's is $50.

Both have expanded the areas that they deliver to and the frequency.  Maplewood was just added to the Aron's list.  Note that Aron's is smaller than Seasons, so it has a smaller selection, but has quicker delivery.

Being a kosher supermarket, you don't get non-kosher food. (Yes, that's like who's buried in Grant's Tomb).  But so far, there's no meat or poultry shortages because kosher meat has dedicated slaughterhouses.  On the other hand, no pork products or shellfish or anything that isn't aligned with the kosher laws.  Lots of things are available although both are light on cleaning products.  

The pricing is overall higher than Shoprite, and they both have delivery fees, Aron's has a $2 shoppers fee, and i think they also have a delivery fee of $10, but can't find it on my receipt.  Season's is $13 delivery with optional tipping for the shopper and delivery person.

The cost of kosher products and meat are higher than the usual supermarket although Aron's has good sales.  

You may want to look at the websites to see if you can find what you want, and see if this interests you.  If nothing else it is a good option for delivery service.

This past Saturday, King’s Short Hills meat dept was packed. No signs indicating purchase limits. Of course their prices are much higher than other chains, but at least they had stock. The last two times I hit Wegman’s in Hanover, there weren’t any chicken thighs, a staple in our household. 

sac said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/us-grocery-costs-jump-the-most-in-46-years-led-by-rising-prices-for-meat-and-eggs.html

Today I reached the promised land.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.