The Supermarket thread

I was at Ashley this morning and it was probably my best shopping experience since this whole thing started - stuff was reasonably in stock except for the usual suspects, decent amount of other customers and employees behaving courteously and normally, and just a general absence of tension that has been the norm at stores recently.

Maybe it was just a one-off but I hope it’s a sign things are moving in the right direction. 

My neighbor was at the Stop & Shop yesterday.  He reported there were multiple types of toilet paper and most items were in stock.  Although there were some empty shelves in some places.

Another neighbor said the same was true of the Maplewood Kings.  

As Smedley wrote, hopefully things are moving in the right direction.

The Shoprite app now offers pickup at the Millburn store. I placed an order last week and picked it up on Saturday. There were a few substitutions (which an employee checked with me) and some stuff wasn't available, but it was a good way to stock up. There are four dedicated parking spots near the clothing collection bin, and you can communicate by text. 

Any idea why City Supermarket closed? Probably a routine closing for sanitization efforts? I love that place. 

lots of toilet paper at Livingston SR. Yogurt was relatively scarce though. (Livingston SR has, I think, the largest yogurt section around here. It's just ridiculous.)

I'm watching CNBC right now and they're talking about Beyond Meat stock being up 41% this week - just as I'm putting a couple of Beyond Burgers under the broiler. 

with all of those plant closings in the mid-west, I'm sure we'll be experiencing meat shortages pretty soon.

Costco this afternoon, Pallets and pallets of Charmin' . Probably a limit of one case since I saw an employee replacing a package.

EBennett said:

My neighbor was at the Stop & Shop yesterday.  He reported there were multiple types of toilet paper and most items were in stock. 

So that was Tuesday. Today, not a pack of TP to be found.

I’ve found that a lot depends on the day, and there doesn’t appear to be a pattern. One week a certain day is good; the next week it isn’t. 

Kings, MPL, 7 PM today. Toilet paper, Bounty towels.

I am getting that maybe the shortage of paper products is over... or people ran out of money to buy the stuff, having spent their last farthing buying the stuff at the end of March.

Lots of paper towels (Bounty) and TP (Scott and Charmin) at Shop Rite of Essex Green.

The checkout line is daunting.

Essex Green Shoprite.

Lots of chicken in stock, but not much beef. Decent pork and seafood.

Pasta, dairy and eggs are in decent supply, although there's almost no bacon. Plenty of cereal. No Lysol or Clorox products to be found. 

Social distancing is hit or miss. I would stand and wait for a clump of shoppers to be done in one particular area, and someone would pass me and join the clump.

If I were Jewish I'd probably be annoyed that they direct the checkout line down the kosher aisle. 

My wife was very impressed with the way Trader Joe's in Millburn handles social distancing. She was not happy with ShopRite.

STANV said:

My wife was very impressed with the way Trader Joe's in Millburn handles social distancing. She was not happy with ShopRite.

The rude/clueless shopper percentage is ordinarily pretty high at Essex Green Shoprite, so I think it's just magnified right now.

Standing online at Trader Joe’s Millburn location since 10:30 AM. It will likely be another 20-30 minutes wait time. 

I am genuinely curious and this is not a criticism: Before social distancing, I was an occasional TJ shopper for fun food or an egg emergency, but it was never a regular thing -- and I live a short walk away. So my question isn't so much what's good there, but rather why people are willing to line up?

Sweetsnuggles said:

Standing online at Trader Joe’s Millburn location since 10:30 AM. It will likely be another 20-30 minutes wait time. 

I saw that line as I was doing curb side pick up at Petsmart. 

j_r said:

I am genuinely curious and this is not a criticism: Before social distancing, I was an occasional TJ shopper for fun food or an egg emergency, but it was never a regular thing -- and I live a short walk away. So my question isn't so much what's good there, but rather why people are willing to line up?

Great products at reasonable prices. 

j_r said:

They do a splendid job marketing their stores and creating a unique shopping experience. 

I don't find their products to be any better or less expensive than what I can get elsewhere. But I've never met a Trader Joe's employee who wasn't helpful and cordial (at least) whenever I needed assistance.

I don't regularly shop there but I have done so enough to know I'm not interested in making it my "go-to" store. 

Incidentally I stopped at Maplewood Kings this morning after Shoprite. I needed a couple of things the big store didn't have. They have paper towels, TP and facial tissues. Milk section is looking like the day before Max tells us we're getting 4" of snow.

j_r:  "I am genuinely curious and this is not a criticism: Before social distancing, I was an occasional TJ shopper for fun food or an egg emergency, but it was never a regular thing -- and I live a short walk away. So my question isn't so much what's good there, but rather why people are willing to line up?

imo, Trader Joe was early and is still ahead of the game in protecting both shoppers and workers.  I don't mind waiting a while to shop where there are fewer people in the store and i can mostly stay farther from the at-risk checkers.  Though i've also driven by if the line is long.  Line length varies a lot, both waiting to enter and waiting to check out, changes minute to minute and moves quickly.

More to the point of your question, there are some products i can't find elsewhere, and some that are better or better-priced than elsewhere.  And to confess, it's fun and the staff are esp. pleasant.

(This is a TJ in Wisconsin, not NJ, but I've had the same experiences in other states, and i would bet the safety practices are chain-wide)

TJ has the best frozen food selection around here. So many interesting products.

Hell, they even sell shakshuka!

Another vote for Trader Joe's. Part of the fun is the return of the holiday or seasonal specials. Sipping Chocolate in it's little tin (just happens to be vegan as well as decadently delicious) will appear just when you want it in the winter and before you are ready to say good-bye it is gone until next year.

Then some items like Trader Joe's Organic Carrot Juice with Turmeric, they discontinue after you are hooked. 

It's an adventure.

Hit Stop and Shop today.  It was fairly well stocked.  No filet mignon though.

I think the one way arrows in the aisle are useless - they're too hard to notice.

Aron's Kosher Supermarket in West Orange will deliver orders over $150 to West Orange, Millburn and Livingston.  They have a pretty wide selection of food including produce and of course kosher meats, chicken and fish.  You use their website and they usually can fill it within one to two days.  

rhw said:

Does anyone know where to find firm tofu and yeast?

Got firm tofu at Whole Foods a few days ago.

Spouse just saw baking yeast at Stop & Shop this morning.

Anyone know where nutritional yeast can be purchased locally?

sprout said:

I ordered online from a company called Noochy. Waiting for the delivery.

Sprout-Have you tried Trader Joe's? That's where I normally get it. I *think* I saw it at Kings/Short Hills the other day. I have one extra unopened TJ's packet I'm happy to drop off if you PM your address.

Berk

Is there a *good* time to go to Whole Foods/Vauxhall when I might not have to wait in line? 

Anyone have experience with the West Orange or Montclair WF stores?

TIA

@sprout, I have mine on a subscription from amazon and a brand new lb pouch arrived yesterday. I still have plenty from my last shipment if you want a brand new pouch. I linked it below. Maplewood front step contact-free pickup, you could venmo or PayPal the cost  

sprout said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016XJM4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.