The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

Yes, it was much too beautiful to spend the entire day in front of the computer. I had to settle for amazing. 

KarenMarlowe said:

Yes, it was much too beautiful to spend the entire day in front of the computer. I had to settle for amazing. 

same here.  I had 46 words and realized I still had nearly 30 to go and I just gave up.

ml1 said:

same here.  I had 46 words and realized I still had nearly 30 to go and I just gave up.

I managed to stick with it and got to within 7 words of QB but it was quite the struggle

alha said:

ml1 said:

I managed to stick with it and got to within 7 words of QB but it was quite the struggle

All hail Alha! That was quite a feat! I'm a few words away today, but I just can't see them. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Good luck to everyone!

Woot! Final 4-letter word was just stringing letters together. 

jimmurphy said:

Woot! Final 4-letter word was just stringing letters together. 

Woot! Good job, Jim! I am a few words shy. Probably won't get there. 

KarenMarlowe said:

Thanks Karen!

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Thanks Karen!

Was your final word "haka"? Never heard of it, and likely won't remember it. They are so arbitrary in their use of words... Although the editor is only 26 years old.

KarenMarlowe said:

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Thanks Karen!

Was your final word "haka"? Never heard of it, and likely won't remember it. They are so arbitrary in their use of words... Although the editor is only 26 years old.

I was too busy yesterday (went to see Ringo last night grin  ) to get back to the puzzle, so finished 5 words short.  But when I saw "haka," I knew there was no way I would have got QB. Somehow I thought I had entered "cakey" but apparently I hadn't. So I'm not sure I would have noticed I didn't have that one either.

ml1 said:

KarenMarlowe said:

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Thanks Karen!

I was too busy yesterday (went to see Ringo last night
grin
  ) to get back to the puzzle, so finished 5 words short.  But when I saw "haka," I knew there was no way I would have got QB. Somehow I thought I had entered "cakey" but apparently I hadn't. So I'm not sure I would have noticed I didn't have that one either.

Well, that's a very good and fun reason not to finish! I was surprised "cakey" and "caky" made the list but I got them both, because, why not try? I missed "haka," "papaya" and "papacy." Should have only been one shy...

KarenMarlowe said:

It was indeed.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

It was indeed.

sometimes it does seem arbitrary.  "Kappa" was a word yesterday. I'm pretty sure "gamma" is not one of their words. I don't care if a word I guess isn't in the puzzle. But if they're not going to have some Greek letters, it means sometimes I don't think to try others. Sometimes I do because what the heck. But why should "kappa" be in a puzzle, but "gamma" isn't. 

My first QB in a while and probably the most words of all my QB’s. I had to take a break and come back with a fresh mind.

yahooyahoo said:

My first QB in a while and probably the most words of all my QB’s. I had to take a break and come back with a fresh mind.

Well done!

I missed it by one word - “goody”

Grrr…

Spelling Bee now posts the number of points needed for Queen Bee. 

Another very long list of words today.  I will not be going for QB.

I think the Times may be overestimating the time people can spend on the bee. Hundreds and hundreds of points? Like 300-plus? That seems like a major commitment for something that’s supposed to be a fun brain teaser. 

Heynj said:

I think the Times may be overestimating the time people can spend on the bee. Hundreds and hundreds of points? Like 300-plus? That seems like a major commitment for something that’s supposed to be a fun brain teaser. 

Whew! Got to genius! I feel accomplished. grin

KarenMarlowe said:

Heynj said:

Whew! Got to genius! I feel accomplished.
grin

I'm generally content with Genius. It's really hard to get every single word. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but some of the words are awfully obscure ("haka"? really? I'm supposed to be familiar with a Maori posture dance that involves the entire body in vigorous rhythmic movements?)

ml1 said:

I'm generally content with Genius. It's really hard to get every single word. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but some of the words are awfully obscure ("haka"? really? I'm supposed to be familiar with a Maori posture dance that involves the entire body in vigorous rhythmic movements?)

I'm always happy to get to Genius and even happier when I get to within striking distance of QB. So far this year, I've only gotten to QB once.

KarenMarlowe said:

Whew! Got to genius! I feel accomplished.
grin

As you should. That was a LOT of words!

I got to QB with the most recent game, but, unlike recent games, you only need 25 words to get there!

And now maybe not? It was listed for a couple of days and now it’s gone. Though it’s a matter of only one point either way. 

zucca said:

zucca said:

And now maybe not? It was listed for a couple of days and now it’s gone. Though it’s a matter of only one point either way. 

zucca said:

They always post that number in "Today's Hints."

never in a million years was I going to get "pinniped"

I got pinniped but missed a few easier words. I can usually get to the genius level, but never have reached Queen Bee.

ml1 said:

Pinniped is not--or was not--a word in my vocabulary. But I settled on genius yesterday without trying to get to QB. 

ml1 said:

Got it, but I think I learned the word through the Bee, which I appreciate. Missed four other easier ones that I’d normally get.

Three away today. Not happenin… LGM!

Ah, of course! Puli and pipit.  How could I have missed those?  

yahooyahoo said:

They always post that number in "Today's Hints."

I have heard, but I don’t look at the hints. I like not knowing the exact number or the exact number of words. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.