The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

A few days ago (I think) the pangram was mezzotint.

First time I've seen that word.

alha said:

congrats on both QB's....I missed yesterday by two: "gotta", a word I usually get, and "glottal" I word I've heard of but just didn't see.. 

My only miss was "gotta'" which I usually get, too.

Pulled glottal from some deep recess and was very proud of myself grin

Nice on the back-to-back QBs! Just got there today. Thanks for the inspiration!

I had been playing without the hints for a few months for the challenge. And what I've learned is that for myself it's roughly 10 times more difficult to get QB without hints. 

zucca said:

Well done! QB-1 for me. No way I was getting “flanging.”

QB-1 again so far today. Not hopeful.

Edited because spellcheck corrected “flanging.” Hmph.

jimmurphy said:

zucca said:

Well done! QB-1 for me. No way I was getting “flanging.”

QB-1 again so far today. Not hopeful.

Edited because spellcheck corrected “flanging.” Hmph.

Got QB late last night. Flanging was my last word.

I got the QB today without hints. When I got to Genius, I was only two words short (and one was the pangram), so I decided to try for it without hints. It's a good day to go for it. Only one weird word (truthfully I got it by guessing).

ml1 said:

I got the QB today without hints. When I got to Genius, I was only two words short (and one was the pangram), so I decided to try for it without hints. It's a good day to go for it. Only one weird word (truthfully I got it by guessing).

I'm missing the weird word.  9 letters.

jimmurphy said:

same here

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

my weird word was only 4 letters grin

yeah, the nine letter word is a little weird. but I've heard it before, so not too outlandish

I got Genius for the first time yesterday. I think yesterday's puzzle was easier than average from what I've seen so far though.

sac said:

I got Genius for the first time yesterday. I think yesterday's puzzle was easier than average from what I've seen so far though.

congrats!

ml1 said:

Similar situation here. Got to genius without the pangram, then once I got the pangram I had just one point left. I like it when the number of total points is low. 

jimmurphy said:

Colorific. Really?

exactly my sentiments  cheese

jimmurphy said:

Colorific. Really?

I got that one fairly easily. I guess I'm more fabulous than you guys to have that word in my vocabulary grin

"Moil" was the one I ended up guessing. I thought maybe there was an alternative spelling of "mohel." grin

Looks like my winning streak will come to an end today, even with the hints. I'm three short, and those words are not emerging for me even if I know the first two letters.

ml1 said:

I got that one fairly easily. I guess I'm more fabulous than you guys to have that word in my vocabulary
grin
"Moil" was the one I ended up guessing. I thought maybe there was an alternative spelling of "mohel."
grin

Looks like my winning streak will come to an end today, even with the hints. I'm three short, and those words are not emerging for me even if I know the first two letters.

You are unquestionably more fabulous than I am.  grin

Went back multiple times today and haven’t seen another word since 8 a.m. 

Four short.

Ended up.missinf by one yesterday. "Battement" was not in my vocabulary. 

ml1 said:

Ended up.missinf by one yesterday. "Battement" was not in my vocabulary. 

... nor was it in mine, but it wasn't my only miss. Today I'm 3 short of QB and strongly doubt that I'll get any closer.

alha said:

... nor was it in mine, but it wasn't my only miss. Today I'm 3 short of QB and strongly doubt that I'll get any closer.

2 away for me and same.

I'm 5 away, and even with hints I'm stumped. I'm sure a few will be familiar words, but at least a couple will probably be new to me.

went back in and got the last 5 words grin

Definitely a lot easier for me to get the QB with the hints. This is four times this week (one without hints).

and not for nothing, but posting here that I'm stumped seems to break the mental block for me. This is 3 or 4 times I've solved the QB right after saying I thought I was done grin

Got the QB again today with hints. My little experiment with using the hints has given me 5 QBs in the past 7 days. So yes, roughly 10 times more difficult for me without hints. 

ml1 said:

Got the QB again today with hints. My little experiment with using the hints has given me 5 QBs in the past 7 days. So yes, roughly 10 times more difficult for me without hints. 

that's quite a difference....in keeping with those stats, I'd think it would be 10x more rewarding for you to get to QB without hints.  big surprise

alha said:

ml1 said:

that's quite a difference....in keeping with those stats, I'd think it would be 10x more rewarding for you to get to QB without hints. 
big surprise

it is. And I got it without hints once last week. But honestly if I get to Genius and there's 12 or 14 words to go, I'm probably not going to even go for QB.  So there are days it's either get QB with hints, or not try for it grin

Anyone get "Moiety?"

Certainly not moi.

jimmurphy said:

Anyone get "Moiety?"

Certainly not moi.

nice play on words..."not moi" for me too..."moiety" was my only missing word yesterday

alha said:

nice play on words..."not moi" for me too..."moiety" was my only missing word yesterday

Me too.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.