The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

just got QB
question

I too missed "homonymy" yesterday, but it wasn't my only miss

Well done!

I take issue with homonymy. It’s like adding -ish to a word.

I missed a few yesterday that I had not heard before.

Homonymy, hogan, and mynah.

Of course I've heard of anyhoo but I thought that was slang.

Today must have been one the intern made. I haven't made QB in ages. I did have to look at the hints to know how many were left once I got a few past Genius though.

Got the QB today. Fourth time this month (including one where I got the last word using the hints), after going weeks without getting it. Seems like there have been several SBs with relatively few words over the past few weeks. That's to my advantage, because even if all the words in a puzzle are in my vocabulary, I'm not likely to get 65 or 70 words. After about 50 or 55 words or so, I tend to burn out staring at the puzzle. 

QB for me too! Had to look at how many words were left but I got it! At first I thought you all were talking about yesterday. I was no where near QB yesterday...

One short today, otherwise went very fast.  I'm sure i'll be embarrassed tomorrow when i find out what the one is.

eta: found, and yes it would have been an eyeroll

Ok, you all inspired me! I did it too. Thanks for the challenge!

zucca said:

Ok, you all inspired me! I did it too. Thanks for the challenge!

Woo hoo!

Today’s Pangram is kinda ridiculous.

I lucked into it, but could never imagine using it in oral or written communication.

jimmurphy said:

Today’s Pangram is kinda ridiculous.

I lucked into it, but could never imagine using it in oral or written communication.

Really stupid. I kept trying combinations of words and like you, stumbled into it. That's what you get when you have a 20 something editing the puzzle. Words that are real are not included; words that are not, are.

I'm a newbie, but I already see a word today that is not recognized.

sac said:

Get used to it, and accept it.  There is no point in emailing about the word. Resist the temptation to enter the word in future puzzles, as it wont be accepted then either.

jimmurphy said:

sac said:

Get used to it, and accept it.  There is no point in emailing about the word. Resist the temptation to enter the word in future puzzles, as it wont be accepted then either.

There are words they should accept but don't, words that are accepted that shouldn't be, and proper nouns occassionally sneak in there.  

It bugs me that "viva" is not accepted as a word. 

ml1 said:

"nametape"?

Really?

Yesterday was a disaster for me. 

"Bimbo" does not count today. Is that because it's derogatory?

cool cheese

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

"nametape"?

Really?

I made it to Genius but glad I didn't try hard for QB. Never would have gotten it in a nonillion years. 

yahooyahoo said:

you and me both...missed "nametape" and 6 others.

I didn't even try for genius yesterday. Just couldn't see the words. That happens to me sometimes.

KarenMarlowe said:

I didn't even try for genius yesterday. Just couldn't see the words. That happens to me sometimes.

me too, and always wonder whether it's the combination of letters or my state of mind

just made it to QB... question

hopefully, I won't be the only one today.

Feb 28.  I like the short ones.

(Yes, I did use the hints.  There were some words that I don't normally use.)

alha said:

just made it to QB...
question

Well done alha!

I missed one that day, don’t remember what, missed “waylay” yesterday, got QB today.

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

just made it to QB...
question

Well done alha!

I missed one that day, don’t remember what, missed “waylay” yesterday, got QB today.

Got QB yesterday, "waylay" was my final word. It took a little while.

jimmurphy said:

Well done alha!

hope the one you missed wasn't "veld" ...  cheese ... today I'm 2 short of QB and likely to stay there

alha said:

hope the one you missed wasn't "veld" ... 
cheese
... today I'm 2 short of QB and likely to stay there

It was not - finally in my vocabulary, as is the alternate spelling.

Just looked up the answers for that day.  It was "venule."

jimmurphy said:

It was not - finally in my vocabulary, as is the alternate spelling.

Just looked up the answers for that day.  It was "venule."

"venule" was the word that got me to QB,,,yesterday these were the two words that stumped me: "railbird" and "biradial"

got the QB today. Used hints for the last two, and ended up shaking my head that I needed them. Two of the most common words in the English language.

so the two words I got with hints were: "auto" and "tattoo"  vampire

I'm trying an experiment this week. I'm going to try to get to Genius without hints and then use them to try to get QB. Today I got QB in about 15 minutes after starting to use the hints. It's a good day to go for it. Only a couple of words that aren't that common in usage (but very common in SB).

ml1 said:

so the two words I got with hints were: "auto" and "tattoo" 
vampire

I'm trying an experiment this week. I'm going to try to get to Genius without hints and then use them to try to get QB. Today I got QB in about 15 minutes after starting to use the hints. It's a good day to go for it. Only a couple of words that aren't that common in usage (but very common in SB).

congrats on both QB's....I missed yesterday by two: "gotta", a word I usually get, and "glottal" I word I've heard of but just didn't see.. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.