The New York Times - They're even more evil now

Police gun down children and people like mtierney go on and on and on about smashed shop windows. A woman who is part of a violent mob forces her way into chamber of the House of Representatives, and mtierney is suddenly worried about police shooting people.

So the fact that this officer had two fatal strokes shortly after the riots was just a coincidence?

The Post article uses the term "unruly" to describe people who broke windows, broke down doors, assaulted officers and chanted that they wanted to hang the VP. 

The shooting death of a member of the mob resulted from the actions of the mob and they are responsible for her death. 

If she had been shot to death as a result of trying to pay for a cup of coffee in the Congressional cafeteria with a counterfeit $20.00 I would feel differently. 

Is this true? The first time "lies" has been in a NYT headline regarding Trump? What bravery!!

food for thought in light of a judge's recent revelations regarding Barr's Mueller summary.

I agree with Menschel

this is the laziest kind of reporting.

here they go again. How can they definitively characterize the reason for her visit as a response to GOP criticism? The answer is they can't and they shouldn't. They're not mind readers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/us/politics/harris-visits-border.html

drummerboy said:

here they go again. How can they definitively characterize the reason for her visit as a response to GOP criticism? The answer is they can't and they shouldn't. They're not mind readers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/us/politics/harris-visits-border.html

I try to not open a NYT rant by you if it appears the paper has an article, even remotely balanced, but this quote from the VP has to be added to the list of brainless comments by her.

the only quote is "don't come". She never said the first part, as far as I can see.

Anyway, don't you agree with that sentiment?

Cartoon doesn't look much like the VP but at least she is not green

Dumbass cartoonist shows his ignorance by misusing words.

STANV said:

Cartoon doesn't look much like the VP but at least she is not green

It doesn't have to look like her. "Minstrel show female" is enough to trigger the synapses in Republicans to respond with "It's Kuh-MA-luh Harris".

Peter Baker continues to get suckier, bringing the Times down with him..

Here's an analysis/takedown of a recent Baker piece, about the supposed "middle-ground" that Biden ignored..

https://thecolumn.substack.com/p/on-afghanistan-withdrawal-nyts-peter?justPublished=true

excerpt from the link:

And who is the primary “critic” he invokes to hand-wring over Biden’s refusal to adopt this supposed “middle ground”? (The middle ground meaning the U.S. remains in Afghanistan, in clear violation of the terms agreed upon with the Taliban, but more on this later.)

Meghan O’Sullivan, board member of US-based weapons contractor Raytheon. Baker writes:

Critics consider that either disingenuous or at the very least unimaginative, arguing that there were viable alternatives, even if not especially satisfying ones, that may not have ever led to outright victory but could have avoided the disaster now unfolding in Kabul and the provinces.

“The administration is presenting the choices in a way that is, at best, incomplete,” said Meghan O’Sullivan, a deputy national security adviser under President George W. Bush who oversaw earlier stages of the Afghan war. “No one I knew was advocating the return of tens of thousands of Americans into ‘open combat’ with the Taliban.”

Left unmentioned, because it would be super awkward to note this in her bio, is that Meghan O’Sullivan is currently on the board of directors of Raytheon––the second largest military contractor in the U.S., billing the Pentagon over $27 billion a year (greater than the entire annual military budget of Canada or Israel), including a $145 million contract to train Afghan Air Force pilots—a contract that was, presumably, adversely affected this week.

and for a twofer, the Times manages to publish a piece about the COVID situation in Florida while barely mentioning DeSantis.

drummerboy said:

and for a twofer, the Times manages to publish a piece about the COVID situation in Florida while barely mentioning DeSantis.

These are still for sale by DeSantis' campaign.

https://secure.winred.com/ron-desantis/storefront/don-t-fauci-my-florida-black-fine-jersey-t-shirt/details

seriously, they're beyond parody

drummerboy said:

The Conversation is something I always avoid.  Gail Collins and Bret Stephens.  The worst.

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

The Conversation is something I always avoid.  Gail Collins and Bret Stephens.  The worst.

yup. There aren't two people who I'd rather hear opinions from less.

there they go again, scaremongering on Social Security

drummerboy said:

What do you see as scaremongering? It is factual. Unless something changes, this will happen and there will be pressure to cut benefits. I see it as prudent. 

jimmurphy said:

drummerboy said:

What do you see as scaremongering? It is factual. Unless something changes, this will happen and there will be pressure to cut benefits. I see it as prudent. 

And by “something changes,” I mean raising Social Security taxes for those earning over 400k.

the word "insolvent" is about 1 degree away from the word "bankrupt". those are scary words.

neither of which is true, and neither of which reflects the historical fact that Congress has always moved to make sure benefits do not get cut.

Of what use is this article to us? Is there any other government program in which we hear about what may happen 10+ years in the future?

It is the definition of scare mongering.

Past performance is not predictive of future results.

this is from the tweet:

"Social Security will be depleted in 2033"

depleted? doesn't that imply there will be zero dollars available to pay benefits?

pretty scary!

Yup. That’s why something should change.

jimmurphy said:

How useful is a 12-year economic forecast?

We've been hearing that SS will go "bankrupt" by such and such a date forever. After the 2008 great recession, wasn't it supposed to run out of money by 2021?

It should be presented as GOOD news. Because this time last year the prediction was for "insolvency" two years earlier. 

drummerboy said:

this is from the tweet:

depleted? doesn't that imply there will be zero dollars available to pay benefits?

pretty scary!

Isn't your beef with the 

page3image623991072

rather than the NY Times?

Smedley said:

drummerboy said:

this is from the tweet:

pretty scary!

Isn't your beef with the 

page3image623991072

rather than the NY Times?

say what now?

Sorry, it seemed to copy and paste ok but it’s not appearing now. 

my question is, isn’t your beef with the source of the information, which is some obscure government agency with a long name, rather than the NYT, which only reported the information. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.