The New York Times - They're even more evil now

maggie. oh maggie. resign already.

Nothing to do with politics, or editorial decisions, but personally I consider the NYT a force for evil because they almost NEVER allow my comments on their web page.  And none of them are profane or insulting.  Just today, I commented that they failed to identify Charlie Giordano in the photo caption on this Springsteen article.  

Bruce Springsteen Is Living in the Moment

And yet they allowed two comments after mine to point out the same error, but mine wasn't approved.  Why on earth would I have been shut out of their comments section?

ml1 said:

Nothing to do with politics, or editorial decisions, but personally I consider the NYT a force for evil because they almost NEVER allow my comments on their web page.  And none of them are profane or insulting.  Just today, I commented that they failed to identify Charlie Giordano in the photo caption on this Springsteen article.  

Bruce Springsteen Is Living in the Moment

And yet they allowed two comments after mine to point out the same error, but mine wasn't approved.  Why on earth would I have been shut out of their comments section?

Switch your party affiliation to Republican and you can raise a boatload of money doing the rounds alleging this is proof of a deep conspiracy to suppress free speech.

PVW said:

Switch your party affiliation to Republican and you can raise a boatload of money doing the rounds alleging this is proof of a deep conspiracy to suppress free speech.

brilliant!

NYT recently ran a story by a former National Review reporter that purported to be about your average Republican voter, and it turns out that they were Republican operatives.

hey, it only took them 4 years to write this story!

In an odd coincidence, Justice Kavanaugh worked on the recount litigations in Florida, on the Republican side, as a young lawyer. So did Justice Barrett and Chief Justice Roberts.

That's the LAST paragraph in this story.

drummerboy said:

In an odd coincidence, Justice Kavanaugh worked on the recount litigations in Florida, on the Republican side, as a young lawyer. So did Justice Barrett and Chief Justice Roberts.

That's the LAST paragraph in this story.

yes, it sure is a coincidence, isn't it?

on Maggie Haberman

===============================================

Amazing.

But she did her real work in Room 4a, in the basement, where the junior reporters for the tabloids and assorted other misfits like me were relegated, downstairs from the legendary main press room, Room 9. Room 4a was a cluttered office with mismatched desks and, once, a squirrel. I sat facing her and every morning watched her routine, which was terrifying. First, she picked up the competing newspaper, The Daily News, and leafed through for stories she wished she’d broken, deducing who had been the source of each one. Then, she called the sources — she already knew them well, of course — and chatted in a friendly way, before telling them she felt genuinely betrayed that they hadn’t gone to her, that she was worried she’d be in trouble with her boss for getting beaten and, honestly, that she was incredibly angry at them.

So Maggie's a sociopath who emotionally abuses her potential sources that she gained access to through her parents' social circles, almost assuredly (though unstated here) promising them beat sweeteners as part of the deal to steal them away from other journalists.

Nobody cares what young reporter Maggie thinks about them unless young reporter Maggie is MAGGIE HABERMAN daughter of New York Times reporter Clyde Haberman and PR mogul Nancy Haberman, and daughter-in-law of wealthy philanthropists and socialites Vartan and Clare Gergorian. "She already knew them well, of course."

Emotionally abuses people and poisons the entire source-journalist relationship structure for the rest of the profession, all for 98% court gossip.

Truly the Trump Whisperer, I suppose.

Just for the record, from the newspaper of record...

-s.

there they go again...

one of the worst "both sides" headlines that I can recall

they just can't stop.

drummerboy said:

they just can't stop.

yeah. Saw that today. They could just have easily framed it as congressional Republicans obstructing 

yeah, WaPo's headline was more in line with that.

to wit

My interest in the NYT over the last couple of months has been focused on its Nexus puzzle. The rest of the paper is just one long, opinionated,  liberal mess. 

No one else addicted?

Biden has barely warmed up his office chair and the Times is already at it.

your liberal media

drummerboy said:

your liberal media

wait I thought "canceling" someone was something that only "woke" people demanded.  Could it be possible that's not true?

drummerboy said:

your liberal media

The criticism was started by Glenn Greenwald, an incredible phony who decided that he'd question a journalist's principles on the basis of a single tweet.  Glenn is a poster boy for unprincipled journalism, so getting criticized by him is a badge of honor. 

So the NYT is in the midst of a controversy over whether its reporters and editors are sufficiently committed to being objective and fair. Meanwhile, over at Fox there's been a purge because the news side correctly called Arizona for Biden, angering Trump. It's not even a controversy.

I think one lens for evaluating media outlets is to ask "what constitutes a scandal" there. The difference between a real news organization like the NYT and a propaganda outlet like Fox becomes pretty clear here.

Former NYT editor Jennifer Barnett writes a tell all about the sexism and general dysfunction at the NYT under former editor James Bennett, who resigned after the Tom Cotton op-ed controversy.

https://jenzerb.medium.com/i-left-my-career-in-prestige-media-because-of-the-****-men-in-charge-and-they-are-still-in-4963374ec6b8

It's pretty brutal..

drummerboy said:

Former NYT editor Jennifer Barnett writes a tell all about the sexism and general dysfunction at the NYT under former editor James Bennett, who resigned after the Tom Cotton op-ed controversy.

Former Atlantic editor Jennifer Barnett writes a tell-all about the sexism and general dysfunction at The Atlantic under former editor James Bennet, who went on to become opinion editor at The Times and ended up resigning after the Tom Cotton op-ed controversy. 

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

Former Atlantic editor Jennifer Barnett writes a tell-all about the sexism and general dysfunction at The Atlantic under former editor James Bennet, who went on to become opinion editor at The Times and ended up resigning after the Tom Cotton op-ed controversy. 

yup, that's what I said.

drummerboy said:

yup, that's what I said.

Just pointing out the misspelling of Bennet. 

PVW said:

So the NYT is in the midst of a controversy over whether its reporters and editors are sufficiently committed to being objective and fair. Meanwhile, over at Fox there's been a purge because the news side correctly called Arizona for Biden, angering Trump. It's not even a controversy.

I think one lens for evaluating media outlets is to ask "what constitutes a scandal" there. The difference between a real news organization like the NYT and a propaganda outlet like Fox becomes pretty clear here.

I'm not sure what the "scandal" was at all, given how many of the nation's pundits were gushing about the "peaceful transfer of power" as if that sort of thing doesn't happen in much of the world.  I guess if Wolfe had used that phrase and said it gave her chills, she'd still be at the NYT.  Her apparent great sin was writing it in regard to Biden's arrival. 

Seems more that it was capitulating to the right wing howler monkeys than responding to any sort of egregious act that necessitated firing.  Unless of course there were other unstated reasons that preceded the tweet, which is always possible.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

your liberal media

The criticism was started by Glenn Greenwald, an incredible phony who decided that he'd question a journalist's principles on the basis of a single tweet.  Glenn is a poster boy for unprincipled journalism, so getting criticized by him is a badge of honor. 

What is wrong with you?

terp said:

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

your liberal media

What is wrong with you?

you're the GG fan - it's you who needs to answer that question.

Glenn Greenwald goes to JimmyfuckinDore for affirmation, and makes light of the thugs in the Capitol.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.