The NEW Biden VP discussion thread

drummerboy said:

I'm not sure why Duckworth gets so much praise. Anyone who volunteered for the Iraq war is kind of suspect in my book. Horrible judgement.

Respectfully, statements like this are why they hate us. 

drummerboy said:

Yeah, good points - I didn't know that history.

If you don't mind my saying so (well, you might) - that's something to try to find out about, before making a statement about anybody who found themselves in the middle of the Iraq War.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

If you don't mind my saying so (well, you might) - that's something to try to find out about, before making a statement about anybody who found themselves in the middle of the Iraq War.

meh, not really. given my attitudes towards the military, even Duckworth's history doesn't give her an excuse  for poor judgement so much. It just makes it more explainable.

People in a military family don't a get a free pass for poor judgement from me. It's people like them that help make America's Forever War Against the Browns policy possible, so, you know, eff em.

Red_Barchetta said:

drummerboy said:

I'm not sure why Duckworth gets so much praise. Anyone who volunteered for the Iraq war is kind of suspect in my book. Horrible judgement.

Respectfully, statements like this are why they hate us. 

Why is that? We're supposed to support the Iraq War - or blindly support any soldier who happened to volunteer for it (my assumption when I made the comment)?

Duckworth aside, anyone volunteering for that war made a horrible, horrible mistake, which was readily apparent at the time.

Duckworth's mistake was different, which was to decide to live a military life.

As to "why they hate us" - I call ******** on that. Sadly, there are way too few Democrats who don't blindly support and praise our military to make a difference in people's attitudes.

drummerboy said:

If you're arguing that we should not have a military at all, then saying it was a mistake to choose a military life makes sense. If not, then I don't really understand your point.

PVW said:

drummerboy said:

If you're arguing that we should not have a military at all, then saying it was a mistake to choose a military life makes sense. If not, then I don't really understand your point.

That ship has sailed, unfortunately. (the ship of having no, or only a shell of a standing military) Just like the fact of our military budget being far too intertwined with our economy, so too is our military far too intertwined with the world. I'm not naive enough to think either can simply be dismantled.

Having said all of that, I do not, ipso facto, find the choosing of a military life any kind of noble deed that should be honored.  Regardless of how you try to frame it, choosing a military life is choosing to support America's policy of endless war against brown people. Actually volunteering when there's a war on is an order of magnitude worse. (Unless it's a war where we are actually threatened, which hasn't happened in generations.)

drummerboy said:

Sadly, there are way too few Democrats who don't blindly support and praise our military to make a difference in people's attitudes.

I don't understand your point here.  It seems like you're saying my choice is to blindly support and praise our military, or attribute horrible judgement to anyone who enlists.  

Red_Barchetta said:

drummerboy said:

Sadly, there are way too few Democrats who don't blindly support and praise our military to make a difference in people's attitudes.

I don't understand your point here.  It seems like you're saying my choice is to blindly support and praise our military, or attribute horrible judgement to anyone who enlists.  

there's always a middle ground, so don't worry about what your choices may be.

All I'm saying is that there are far too many Americans, on all sides, who worship the military. And I personally think that joining the military is a bad decision under pretty much all circumstances. But its effect is more on a group than an individual level. It's like voting - your individual vote is pretty meaningless, and only gains effects when joined by many others. Same with joining the military. (not a perfect analogy, but close enough)

Interestingly, just saw this piece about AOC pushing to end funding for military recruitment at schools and other venues targeting young people.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/budget-appropriations/509218-ocasio-cortez-calls-for-end-to-federal-funding-for

Ahem, all this blathering about the Biden running mate, and hardly a word on Biden, himself. Why?  My guess would be that Biden’s VP is an understudy for him, and the foot-in-door for president in 2024. 

Biden Campaign Turns Down Interview with Fox News Anchor Who Grilled Trump

BY ZACHARY STIEBER July 27, 2020 Updated: July 27, 2020 Print

“Former Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign declined a request to have Biden sit down with Fox News’ Chris Wallace, who grilled President Donald Trump earlier this month.

“This week, we asked the Biden campaign for an interview and they said the former vice president was not available,” Wallace said on “Fox News Sunday.”

“We’ll keep asking every week,” he added.

Biden, 77, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, has repeatedly dodged reporters in recent months. He held his first press conference since March on June 30 and has not held another since then.

The Biden campaign didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Trump, 73, a Republican running for re-election, takes questions from reporters on a near-daily basis.”

We’ll keep asking every week,” he added.

Biden, 77, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, has repeatedly dodged reporters in recent months. He held his first press conference since March on June 30 and has not held another since then.

The Biden campaign didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Trump, 73, a Republican running for re-election, takes questions from reporters on a near-daily basis.

Yes he gets asked a lot of questions, but he really never answers. If he doesn’t like the person asking the question he refuses point blank to answer...or they are “fake”. 
Biden is smart not to go on Fox News for any interview. When trump disclosed his taxes maybe then. Pathetic people.

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

meh, not really. given my attitudes towards the military, even Duckworth's history doesn't give her an excuse  for poor judgement so much. It just makes it more explainable.

People in a military family don't a get a free pass for poor judgement from me. It's people like them that help make America's Forever War Against the Browns policy possible, so, you know, eff em.

Your approach is just like that of the uninformed Trump voters that you constantly criticize.  The topic is different, but the approach is the same.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

Your approach is just like that of the uninformed Trump voters that you constantly criticize.  The topic is different, but the approach is the same.

How so?

"Ahem, all this blathering about the Biden running mate, and hardly a word on Biden"

Well, this is the "Biden VP Discussion Thread."

mjc said:

"Ahem, all this blathering about the Biden running mate, and hardly a word on Biden"

Where is the Biden thread?

mtierney said:

mjc said:

Any thread discussing the Presidential election.  This one happens to be about the VP pick.

If you really don't think there's a place to talk about Biden anywhere else on the message board, you can start one.

Just don't troll and pretend that you're not.  Thanks. 

mtierney said:

Ahem, all this blathering about the Biden running mate, and hardly a word on Biden, himself. Why?  My guess would be that Biden’s VP is an understudy for him, and the foot-in-door for president in 2024. 

Biden Campaign Turns Down Interview with Fox News Anchor Who Grilled Trump

BY ZACHARY STIEBER July 27, 2020 Updated: July 27, 2020 Print

I'm focused on Biden's running mate because it is going to be a woman.

And if Zachary Stieber posted this on July 27 2020, why did he keep making a point of Trump's age as 73? . He's 74.

drummerboy said:

And I personally think that joining the military is a bad decision under pretty much all circumstances. But its effect is more on a group than an individual level. It's like voting - your individual vote is pretty meaningless, and only gains effects when joined by many others. Same with joining the military. (not a perfect analogy, but close enough)

Did you vote for John Kerry or George Bush? 

STANV said:

drummerboy said:

And I personally think that joining the military is a bad decision under pretty much all circumstances. But its effect is more on a group than an individual level. It's like voting - your individual vote is pretty meaningless, and only gains effects when joined by many others. Same with joining the military. (not a perfect analogy, but close enough)

Did you vote for John Kerry or George Bush? 

What does that have to do with anything?

Kerry = combat vet, GWB = absentee ?

mjc said:

Kerry = combat vet, GWB = absentee ?

well, yeah. Is he trying to say that by my voting for Kerry, I'm being hypocritical?

Anyway, Kerry is the worst example to use, since he turned into an anti-war hero. One of the rare combat veterans to so vociferously attack our military actions. He went in as one kind of man, but came out another.

In my opinion going into the Military at the time of Vietnam was a worse decision than going in at any other time. And Kerry wasn't the only one who came back totally opposed to the War. In fact his was the leader of a large group of such people.

I will not hold Tammy Duckworth's decision to join the military against her. I do not know her reasons. She certainly paid a big price.

On February 18, 1966, John Kerry enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve.[1] He began his active duty military service on August 19, 1966. After completing sixteen weeks of Officer Candidate School at the U.S. Naval Training Center in Newport, Rhode Island, he received his commission on December 16, 1966.

To be continued.

Three months before Kerry signed up:

On November 27, Coretta Scott King, SDS President Carl Oglesby, and Dr. Benjamin Spock, among others, spoke at an anti-war rally of about 30,000 in Washington, D.C., in the largest demonstration to date. Parallel protests occurred elsewhere around the nation.[99] On that same day, President Johnson announced a significant escalation of U.S. involvement in Indochina, from 120,000 to 400,000 troops.

Following in the footsteps of her father, who served in World War II and the Vietnam War,[6] and ancestors who served in every major conflict since the Revolutionary War,[7] Duckworth joined the Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps[16] in 1990 as a graduate student at George Washington University.[17][18] She became a commissioned officer in the United States Army Reserve in 1992 and chose to fly helicopters[16] because it was one of the few combat jobs open to women at that time.

On 2 August 1990, the Iraqi Army invaded and occupied Kuwait, which was met with international condemnation and brought immediate economic sanctions against Iraq by members of the UN Security Council. Together with the UK prime minister Margaret Thatcher,[29] American President George H. W. Bush deployed US forces into Saudi Arabia, and urged other countries to send their own forces to the scene. An array of nations joined the coalition, forming the largest military alliance since World War II.

mtierney said:

mjc said:

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/subforum/2020-candidates-c/politics-plus?page=next&limit=13050#discussion-replies-3519137

STANV said:

California newspaper endorses Bass over Harris.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/editorial-board-kamala-harris-aide-endorses-karen-bass-389373

Fair enough.  But that's not how it works.

Since when do newspapers endorse VP candidates?

drummerboy said:

Since when do newspapers endorse VP candidates?

If two of the leading options weren’t from its own backyard, I doubt The Bee’s editorial board would have weighed in on which one it liked better, and why. As it is, the board apparently thought it had some light to shed.

DaveSchmidt said:

If two of the leading options weren’t from its own backyard, I doubt The Bee’s editorial board would have weighed in on which one it liked better, and why. As it is, the board apparently thought it had some light to shed.

Not to mention the person who writes the editorials was a press secretary for various California politicians, including Harris when she was attorney general.  He's criticized her before, and must have decided that this was another chance to do so.

I'm betting Biden picks Harris. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of Dem VP version of a football pool online.

If he does I'm celebrating with champagne! 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.