The Trump Indictments

It's actually Sarah Palin in the photo. 

cramer said:

Are you sure you’re comfortable laughing off being a dupe for disinformation?

DaveSchmidt said:

cramer said:

I'm not laughing - I'm cringing. 

eta - But she does look like Sarah Palin. 

DaveSchmidt said:

I’m comfortable laughing it off. It’s funny as hell that it’s on Twitter and musk hasn’t commented yet…

Jaytee said:

I’m comfortable laughing it off. It’s funny as hell that it’s on Twitter and musk hasn’t commented yet…

I assumed you were.

It likely needs a million views before it comes up on Elon's feed.  

dave said:

It likely needs a million views before it comes up on Elon's feed.  

what if he follows Walsh? Just curious, I don’t know much about twitter 

I have to say, I'm pretty pessimistic that Cannon will oversee this case fairly. I wonder if there'll even be a trial.

DaveSchmidt said:

Jaytee said:

There she is….ms cannon on the left 

No, it isn’t. 

(ETA: Because this tweet, which contained the same photo posted above, has been deleted, the reply that shows that it’s a Getty Images stock photo from a rally in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., no longer appears in the embed.)

The woman in the photo (on the left) is significantly older than Cannon.

Why isn’t anyone addressing Barr’s statement?? (For example)

Why isn’t there discussion in the Rose Garden on amending the relevant sections of the Constitution to ensure work practice for incoming and outgoing presidents is clearer, and documents won’t be shredded/removed from federal premises again??

I’ve got so many more questions swirling in my head.

PVW said:

I have to say, I'm pretty pessimistic that Cannon will oversee this case fairly. I wonder if there'll even be a trial.

For instance, when I see headlines like this:
Trump Indictment Shows Critical Evidence Came From One of His Own Lawyers (NYT)

I think that Trump will probably challenge the admissibility of that evidence, claiming attorney client privilege should not have been set aside. And I would be shocked if Cannon disagreed.

PVW said:

PVW said:

For instance, when I see headlines like this:
Trump Indictment Shows Critical Evidence Came From One of His Own Lawyers (NYT)

I think that Trump will probably challenge the admissibility of that evidence, claiming attorney client privilege should not have been set aside. And I would be shocked if Cannon disagreed.

I don't think that's Judge Cannon's call right now. A Federal judge in D.C. had specifically authorized the turning over of the attorney's materials under the "crime fraud" exception to the privilege. 

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe you're right, but my understanding is that judges have a great deal of latitude over what they allow or disallow to be introduced at trial. If I were on Trump's defense, I'd argue something like "that authorization covered the investigation, not the trial, and furthermore it should never have been granted" (again, admitting I'm not a lawyer so can't say how plausible this is)

It might end up being a good thing that a trump appointed judge will be taking this case. The pressure on her might be too much. We shall see. 

joanne said:

Why isn’t there discussion in the Rose Garden on amending the relevant sections of the Constitution to ensure work practice for incoming and outgoing presidents is clearer, and documents won’t be shredded/removed from federal premises again??

It’s very difficult to amend the Constitution, and a lot of people believe the Presidential Records Act of 1978 couldn’t be any clearer:

“The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

“Through the implementation of records management controls and other necessary actions, the President shall take all such steps as may be necessary to assure that the activities, deliberations, decisions, and policies that reflect the performance of the President’s constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties are adequately documented and that such records are preserved and maintained as Presidential records pursuant to the requirements of this section and other provisions of law.”

DaveSchmidt said:

joanne said:

It’s very difficult to amend the Constitution, and a lot of people believe the Presidential Records Act of 1978 couldn’t be any clearer:

“The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

“Through the implementation of records management controls and other necessary actions, the President shall take all such steps as may be necessary to assure that the activities, deliberations, decisions, and policies that reflect the performance of the President’s constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties are adequately documented and that such records are preserved and maintained as Presidential records pursuant to the requirements of this section and other provisions of law.”

I'm one of those people who think current law is clear, and as comprehensive as it needs to be. Sure, some documents slipped past and were found in past president's or VP's possession, but when they were found they were returned.

In the case of someone like Trump who was dead set on defying the law, there's not likely anything more that could have been done from the standpoint of writing new statutes that would have stopped him.

What should happen when Donald Trump is arraigned.

"Defendant faces significant jail time, has access to a private jet, likely has assets outside the U.S., and has multiple foreign governments which could give him asylum without extradition.

"Bail denied, remand for trial."

Re the Trump files: The thing that baffles me is there multiple media accounts as he left office of how many  vehicles were required for the highly classified documents, and the bulkiness of those files. People wondered what he was moving? How personal could all that paperwork be? So to be ‘shocked’ now seems very naïve indeed.  

Oh wait - am I in the right thread?? It’s after 2 am, I have to sleep!!

joanne said:

Re the Trump files: The thing that baffles me is there multiple media accounts as he left office of how many  vehicles were required for the highly classified documents, and the bulkiness of those files. People wondered what he was moving? How personal could all that paperwork be? So to be ‘shocked’ now seems very naïve indeed.  

Oh wait - am I in the right thread?? It’s after 2 am, I have to sleep!!

my understanding of the presidential records act is that presidents can take copies of non-sensitive documents as long as the originals stay with the archives. For all anyone knew, Trump was just taking mundane correspondence, meeting notes, schedules, etc. For a president, over four years, I imagine even unclassified documents come to a pretty hefty amount.

His lawyers (?) supporters have been on the radio saying the laws regarding documents/classified documents were not intended to apply to presidents.  Odd when the title of the one law is Presidential Records Act. 

And i do wish NPR (and presumably others) would stop broadcasting the above and tfg's sound bites without immediate and equally punchy counters. sigh.  Sometimes i think it would be nice if he just took off for [name of cooperative country], leaving us in relative peace and making his allegiances clear to most.

mjc said:

His lawyers (?) supporters have been on the radio saying the laws regarding documents/classified documents were not intended to apply to presidents.  Odd when the title of the one law is Presidential Records Act. 

And i do wish NPR (and presumably others) would stop broadcasting the above and tfg's sound bites without immediate and equally punchy counters. sigh.  Sometimes i think it would be nice if he just took off for [name of cooperative country], leaving us in relative peace and making his allegiances clear to most.

I'm sure he could spend the rest of his days living comfortably playing golf in Saudi Arabia

Places trump would run to…

Scotland…maybe but won’t stay long 

Russia…he and vlad IV could relax on the Black Sea

North Korea…kiss lil Kim’s baxide every day

Lake trump.. Kosovo … he and Jared could stop the fighting with Serbia 

Definitely not Mexico (no way Jose)

Definitely not Africa ( siht hole)

Definitely not Belgium ( Hell hole)

Saudi Arabia…all eighteen… and then some 

I’ve messed up previous post, couldn’t add my comment - sorry. That’s one of the nicest recent parodies I’ve heard. 

Our nastier leaders tend to defraud and hand-off jobs to friends in big companies, or reserve themselves cushy jobs for their ‘retirement’.  They can easily access all this kind of info through the National Archives so there’s no need to filch physical files, let alone hoard them in ridiculous storage spaces. Especially these days. 
So it’s quite baffling to observe a political party tying itself into knots supposedly defending someone who has clearly broken the law many times, and boasted of doing so, not simply slipped up. (As others have said, ignorance of the law is no defence anyway)

He’s an unsuitable candidate, and should be replaced. I’m sure the party has more suitable people it can highlight. Focussing on ethics would be helpful. cheese 

Oh, Robert Reich has a good article today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/12/trump-civil-war-chances-documents-indictment

ridski said:

terp said:

nohero said:

Does anyone take issue with the fact that one guy in this photo had his son's laptop recovered & 50 members of the intelligence community signed a letter saying it was Russian disinformation and then the whole media apparatus circled their wagons around this story and the big tech companies even censored the original story?  

Deference to Trump?  Sure. 

COVID really did a number on you, didn't it, terp?

As you know, I haven't been a fan of our institutions for quite some time.  They are clearly failing.  

They failed miserably during Covid.  Not only do most of the people around me not realize that, they switched on a dime to Ukraine from Covid.  Literally overnight.  It was a sight to see. 

Covid was a tough day.  The response to Covid was an eye opener.  Not just how broken our institutions are but how demoralized most of our citizens are.  They are victims of tyranny and all they can do is ask for more. 

50 members of the intelligence community signed a letter saying it was Russian disinformation

Did they? Or did they say it smelled like Russian disinformation and ask that maybe someone should look into it?

Sooo…a federal judge appointed by trump….signed a search warrant, issued by the director of the FBI, also appointed by trump….which is then executed by an attorney for the DOJ who trump appointed…for violating a law that trump signed into law…yet this is a witch hunt by the Democrats? 
I used to love watching “the twilight zone”…

Jaytee said:

Sooo…a federal judge appointed by trump….signed a search warrant, issued by the director of the FBI, also appointed by trump….which is then executed by an attorney for the DOJ who trump appointed…for violating a law that trump signed into law…yet this is a witch hunt by the Democrats?
I used to love watching “the twilight zone”…

The judge who signed the warrant, Bruce Reinhart, is a federal magistrate judge. Magistrate judges are appointed by U.S. district judges, without any involvement of the president.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/08/12/fact-check-false-claim-magistrate-who-approved-trump-warrant/10290114002/

Although Trump signed the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017, which made the mishandling of classified documents a felony instead of a misdemeanor, he was indicted under the Espionage Act, which was signed into law 29 years before he was born.

Ok. I’m going to sleep at a sane time tonight (11:30pm). I’m praying that despite the anticipated protests, fair-dinkum angry supporters and rabble-rousers just out to join the ‘fun’,  not much actually happens outside the courtrooms. 
There’s enough drama already, for one day, without this event blowing up scarily all over the news & tv screens as the day proceeds…

On the bright side, there’s always the plagiarism excuse.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.