SOMA Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Group

Hi! I moved to Maplewood this year and I'd like to come... I'm not sure I can make it on the 11th, though. How often do you meet?

We try to meet once a month. I post here and on Facebook at SOMA SF&F Book Group. Not always on a Thursday but frequently. This Thursday is our next lively discussion. All are welcome.

Please send me a message for the location of this Thursday's get together at 8 p.m. Hope you can join us!

Anyone have ideas on the book for October? I'll be doing a fair bit of traveling and wouldn't mind getting a head start.

Let's brainstorm tomorrow night! Looking forward to meeting the newcomers and getting suggestions for the next readings. See everyone at 8!

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/10/graham-joyce-fantasy-author-dies-aged-59

might i suggest one of his books?

leighan said:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/10/graham-joyce-fantasy-author-dies-aged-59

might i suggest one of his books?

You certainly can. There's been quite the outpouring from my Facebook friends who knew him and I'm afraid I've never heard of the guy, despite my proximity.

I don't think I'll be there tomorrow night but I'd like to suggest the Karen Joy Fowler "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" which was just shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize.

http://www.amazon.com/Are-All-Completely-Beside-Ourselves-ebook/dp/B00B4FU6KE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410386280&sr=1-1&keywords=karen+joy+fowler

Thank you! Both suggestions will be discussed. See you tonight!

I'm thinking about Ancillary Justice by Lackie first and then Goddesses and stories by Nagata. Opinions?

Ann Leckie. Looks interesting, I can go with that.

Ancillary Justice looks great. I'm looking forward to reading it. The Linda Nagata looks good to.

October's book is Ancillary Justice and November's Goddesses and other stories. Please join us for lively and thoughtful discussions. Even if you haven't finished the books.

Leckie. Thanks! And Nagata. Enjoy the books!

Which is better? October 23rd or the 30th for the discussion. Please volunteer to host and you get to choose the date!

I can't volunteer to host but the 30th is better for me.

We will meet on the 23rd of October, a Thursday, at 8 p.m. Apologies if it is inconvenient. Would you like to host? Ancillary Justice by Leckie.

We have a host for the 23rd! Thank you. Please join us at 8 p.m.

Happy October! We now have 12-13 members. Exciting! It may be time to close the group to new people, but let's see how many are coming to each meeting. I don't want to scare away potential hosts. See you on the 23rd. Please RSVP. Message me for the 23rd's host info. Thanks.

Finished both Ancillary Justice and Goddesses and Other Stories. Enjoyable reads. October 23rd and December 4th (how does this December date sound?).

Comicbooklady said:

Finished both Ancillary Justice and Goddesses and Other Stories. Enjoyable reads. October 23rd and December 4th (how does this December date sound?).

I won't be able to make Thursdays (or will be late at any rate) in November and December. May need a cliffs notes book on Ancillary Justice, the audiobook actress is weird and I tend to zone out on her.

Late is fine, and book not read is fine. Before 10 is fine too. Message me for the host's address.

I'll be there for next week, but next two months we have Panto rehearsals on Thursdays, so it'll be dicey whether I have the energy to go.

See you all in a week at 8 for our lively discussion of Ancillary Justice. Contact me for our host's address please.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday. Ancillary Justice was eye opening. Hope you feel the same. If not, please join us for a lively discussion. ;-)

Have tried to get the meeting place several times; is it a mystery for anyone else?

Send a PM to comicbooklady and she'll send you back the details. As its a private address, we prefer not to post it publicly, but you're more than welcome to join us!

Hi! Was looking forward to this meeting on Thursday, but I threw my back out. Enjoy the Ancillary Justice discussion. I can message the address of our kind host.

Tomorrow's meeting will be at 8 p.m. Sadly I will not attend. Message me please for the address.

Did you get in touch with AndrewL_0313, comicbooklady?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.