Nugget's Forever Thread...

Ok, here we go. I have always posted pics of rainbows when I see them, as, to me, it shows Nugget (our rescue bunny, who passed away a couple years ago) is looking down upon us, and wishing us success. I don't ask for her blessing very often, but when it happens, it is always welcomed.

Things are going awesomely at Defcon Sauces, and since they are, I'm not one to sit around, and as of recently, started looking for a job, as I can't sit at home all day. Being a tad picky in my job search, as I have set up all the wholesale/distribution channels in an expert manner, so Defcon pretty much does it's own thing at this point, with myself and Maggie always at the helm.

Well, I've been on a couple of select interviews, and their was a NICE position I had applied for.

What few know is the fact that I have been grooming for a Crossing Guard position in our town at the same time (hey, $20+/hr...Who wouldn't?), and will be finishing up my training as of Friday.

Then enters Nugget, the all-seeing bunny. This morning, this AWESOME rainbow appeared (a double), while I was training at a said post. I took these shots, and it was truly the BRIGHTEST rainbow I have ever seen...I'm being honest. Training ended this morning, and I bid my time at home, filling online orders and cooking lunch, when the phone rang. It was the company I interviewed for last week, for THE position I truly WANTED (THAT is saying a LOT). Well, they offered me the position.

Rainbows mean a lot to me, especially when they are sent from our bunny, Nugget von Beelzebunny, who resides upon The Rainbow Bridge, and sends down her blessing. Thank you, Little Girl, you shall always remain in my heart.

Well, here's a story that has been developing since Saturday night. I will give fair warning, it's an emotional writeup.

Saturday night, myself and The Awesome Wife Unit, Maggie were sitting down to a fantastic dinner (steak and potatoes reigns supreme in our household). As we were enjoying our dinner, the phone rang. It was the New Providence First Aid Squad. The Captain explained to Maggie that they had an extreme problem. When Maggie asked what it was, it was explained to her that two baby bunnies had fallen through the storm drain grate. Needless to say, we didn’t finish our dinner, grabbed gloves, and assorted tools we thought we may need, and out the door we went, in full rescue mode.

We arrived on scene, and there were a number of EMS members gathered around a storm drain in front of the EMS building itself. The Fire Department has raised the grate, so we could physically climb into the sewer pit. I took no time, and immediately climbed into the pit. It was kinda nasty down there, but I didn’t even notice. There was one pipe leading away from the pit. I looked down it, and saw the two little critters, huddled together about 15-20 feet into the pipe (the pipe diameter was only about 10 inches in diameter). They were terrified, and only had each other.

I’m known as the “Bunny Whisperer” amongst the EMS, PD and FD Departments in town, so they kinda let me take charge of the rescue for the most part. I had learned they had been feeding them grass, dandelions and romaine lettuce, and they had been coming out into the pit infrequently to eat.

At the other end of the pipe (about 100 feet away) was another grate, which linked to this pit, but also led away in the opposite direction. We HAD to keep them in the 100 foot pipe if we wanted to secure any chance of recovery. We laid in wait for what seemed an eternity, when the two of them were spotted peeking into the pit from the storm drain. We set up the EMS Captain with a snow shovel, which would be used to block exit once the two of them entered the pit.

Momma bunny was also hanging around, which was a good sign as well. She stayed with us up until some stupid outdoor cat sprung out and nearly caught and killed her. Yeah, I HATE OUTDOOR CATS!!! Momma showed up again a few hours later, after her near-death experience, and assumed her post as overseer.

We tried using a small Have-A-Heart trap first, and loaded it with greens. They entered the trap, but did not trigger it, as they were far too small to trip the trap. We attempted to retrieve the trap while they were running through it, but to no avail. These little guys are quick! They retreated back down into the storm drain pipe quicker than you could blink.

We lay in wait, which again felt like an eternity. Then, all of a sudden, we again flew into action. The two baby bunnies entered the pit, Susan lowered the shovel and blocked the exit. I immediately climbed down to grab them. They were in opposite corners, terrified, about 8 feet away from one another. I tried to grab the first one, but it scurried to the other, and they both panicked. I was able to grab one, but in the melee, the other was able to somehow find a way around the snow shovel, and re-entered the 100-foot underground pipe. Rabbits are quick, baby rabbits move like lightning.

We secured the one little critter, who from now on will be named “Dawn”. She was adorable and about 2.5 inches long, yeah, a little one, about the size of a fuzzy ping pong ball. Well, we had a large Have-A-Heart trap, put it on end, and put Dawn in there, with some food and water to calm her down.

A few more hours went by, but Dawn’s brother, whose name going forward will be Dusk, for reasons not yet explained, did not come out into the pit again that evening. Our hearts were pretty much broken at this point, but it was getting late, and we had to call off the rescue.

I didn’t sleep much that evening, as my thoughts could only envision how lonely and scared Dusk was now, without his sister, Dawn. The poor thing must’ve been terrified. Sunday came, and I had to check on Dawn, who was hanging out in the Rescue Squad Building, with plenty of food and water. She looked to be doing fine, and was eating like a little champ. Her brother, Dusk, was spotted as well Sunday afternoon, which broke my heart, as the grate was now closed. Maggie stayed at the Squad Building, and I went home, having a hard time just looking into the pit.

That evening, Maggie and the other Squad members released Dawn on the side of the building, which was where we all thought her nest (or ‘scrape’ as it properly called) was located in the tall grasses and shrubs. She was greeted immediately by another baby bunny, and both of them hopped off together. I wasn’t there for this, purposely, as I don’t think I could mentally handle it, knowing that Dusk was still trapped underground.

Monday was Memorial Day, and the Squad put out a huge party for the Police, Fire and Rescue personnel. Dusk was a main topic that day, and it was decided we’d give it one more go Tuesday night. I thought it was a great idea, although, to be honest, I had mixed feelings. It was either going to be success or utter failure rescuing Dusk.

The Fire Dept was scheduled to open both storm drain grates that evening, which would allow us to close off both sides of the one pipe that Dusk had been hanging out in. Overnight some fresh hay and greens were dropped into the original pit so as to coax Dusk to come into the pit. One of the town members has mentioned a great idea to get Dusk to run into the pit, as we rigged up a cool gadget to block off escape once in the pit. It was to use a remote controlled car, which we just happened to have, and it would fit perfectly into the pipe. We rigged it with paracord just in case it got stuck by any obstruction in the pipe. It was also loaded with a bunch of LED lights which would allow us to view the length of the pipe, once the vehicle entered.

The DPW guys arrived, and we quickly opened up both grates. There was a level of emotion you could just feel among the many who arrived to witness the event. Maggie descended intot he far pit with the R/C vehicle, and I climbed back into the original pit. I said a little prayer before looking into the pipe, as I knew if Dusk wasn’t in the pipe, all was lost. I looked into the pipe, and my worst fears came to fruition. Dusk was gone. Everyone’s hearts sunk, and I kinda lost it a little bit in the pit.

We slowly gathered up all the tools and equipment, and the DPW guys once again secured the grates, closing off the last hope we had of rescuing Dusk. It was now sunset, and Dusk had fallen.

We covered the sewer grate with chicken wire, so as to avoid this from happening again. If anything, perhaps we are saving this from happening to other baby bunnies.

We did the best we could, and I want to personally thank all those who helped us in this humanitarian effort. It was awesome to see not only townspeople, but the Fire Dept, Police Dept, EMS Dept and DPW Dept ALL come together as one as well. We’re extremely proud of our town, and the fact so many came together for such a little reason, is nothing short of awesome.

The next few nights, I know I will not be sleeping well, as my mind is having a hard time erasing the picture of Dusk, locked in an underground prison for his own eternity. His life never really having a chance to begin. He never knew anything but abject fear and terror, and must’ve silently cried as he sat in his concrete tomb, his last memory being his sister, his only friend, being ripped away from him. He must’ve lost hope after this, and passed in silence, alone. The sorrow I feel for his tiny heart is immeasurable, and I only wish him safe travel to the Rainbow Bridge, as I know our bunny, Nugget von Beelzebunny, will be waiting for him with open arms.

There are some that may read this is find it humorous, or even silly or stupid, that so much effort went into something that in the grand scheme of things, doesn’t matter at all. It is this exact reason why animals are so much better than humans in many instances. As it is said, “A person’s true character is judged by how they treat others that can do nothing for them”. This saying has more weight in it than most realize, and it is this reason that this little critter meant so much to me, as well as the many others who helped in this endeavor. Goodbye Dusk, and may your heart find solace in our thoughts.

The first couple shots are Dawn, Dusk's Sister, the night we caught her (in my gloves) and the next day, after eating and calming down. I put the house key there for a size reference. The other shots are of the pit, the r/c unit we were going to use, the Scott Tank we were going to use for noise to get Dusk to run to the original pit, and the shot of the side of the EMS building we're their nest is. The last couple are of the chicken-wire covering that now exists, and a flask, as a shot of Johnny Blue was required as a final salute to a little hero.

Sorry, can't figure out how to shrink the rest of the pics.

Here's the latest from Pallet, a wild rabbit I've been feeding for a couple years, when she was still a kit. We'll be moving in about a month, and if we could take her with us we would. However, she lost an eye about a month ago, probably from an "outdoor cat" (killers of the wildlife), and moving her (which would be an easy feat with a normal bunny), would be horrible for her. She would not know the new terrain, nor would she know the local wildlife. So, sadly, we will have to leave her behind. All Hail Pallet!

Best of luck to Pallet.

Hope the people who buy your house continue to care for these fuzz butts.   rolleyes 

As do I, but who knows. I do wish her the best, she is one little bunny that stands out amongst the many that are in our neighborhood, and yes, I have thought about taking her with us, and SERIOUSLY thought about it. But then reality hits, and strikes down the idea.

Rabbits (Eastern Cottontail) are VERY instinctually (if that's a word, if it isn't, it should be) driven, and most do not wander more than 100 yards or so from their birthplace during their entire lifetime. If you think of this in depth, that would mean that an Eastern Cottontail, in the 'average' 4 year lifespan (due to numerous obstacles) gets to know their specific area VERY well. Add in the fact she lost an eye a few months ago, and it becomes abruptly apparent that to take her to a new location altogether would be an immediate death sentence.

Bunnies are one of those animals that really put reality into perspective. I have been slowing down the daily feedings of seed to a few days a week, as I don't want her to rely on what I put out. It'll be a rough separation, but hey, it's also Nature doing what it does.

Well, here's the latest Pallet the Bunny vid. We'll be moving out soon, so these vids will be ending, and we can't take her with us, as she only has one eye, she's wild, and she knows THIS territory. To take her across town would be a detriment to her well-being. Enjoy the vid, I did taking it!

https://youtu.be/gnodh2piKcQ

Here's the latest from Pallet, the awesome one-eyed bunny!

Took this from the basement window of our new place. THIS is what an elder bunny looks like.

Can't wait for more bunny-whisperer pics and stories. I'm sure they'll be coming! grin 

You should check out the "Nugget von Beelzebunny" page on Facebook, that's where a vast majority of my bunny stories are located, complete with plenty of videos. To be honest, I don't know very many people around here anymore, as most of the people I spoke to throughout the many years pretty much don't post anymore. Kinda sad, but hey, whaddya gonna do?

I will continue to post every now and then here, as I love this thread, but like I said, most of the bunny stuff is on Facebook.

Happy Thanksgiving !  Thought bunny fans would enjoy this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/calenbundalas/

And this is what heroes are made out of.

Best part about this is, if you are a true bunny person, this just reinforced what you already knew.

Nugget would like to wish everyone Merry Christmas from the Rainbow Bridge!

Something you don't see every day.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.