Nugget's Forever Thread...

I don't think I could bring myself to read this thread from the beginning. It is making me tear up just thinking about it...

That's kind of the idea. Nugget's story is a perfect story of animal rescue.

Ok, the latest with Pallet & Link, this time with a cameo from Momma Bunny!

https://youtu.be/e0CZB-JoORo

rolleyes 

Deffie, you would love our Connecticut house: We have bunnies everywhere. Bunnies as far as the eye can see. 

Hope you are feeding them daily!

Oh man, it's been a while since I posted. My bad, we've had a lot going on. That being said, I took this about 90 minutes ago. I have learned one thing from Pallet & Link, for one, they are bunnies and are always hungry, for two, they greet me every night, and for three, well, that kinda goes unsaid, they are stupid cute. Here's the latest of the Dynamic Duo!

https://youtu.be/DMKN0EYIpDU

Ok, a new video! Went to go feed the "kids" tonight. Looks Like Link must've had a date. Pallet joined me for a discussion over dinner.

Ok, now for something completely different. I was on Facebook last night, on Nugget's page (Nugget von Beelzebunny), explaining how about a year ago Facebook just decided to erase ALL narrative on Nugget's page, without warning. Whatever, but ALL of the information for years, on adoptive agencies, local support agencies, etc, etc, etc, across the nation, for rabbit adoption was erased. I fought it, and lost. But I rekindled the page under one of my pages, and it's slowly getting back to form. Well, I had posted a couple days ago, that if anyone wanted to read about the WHOLE story of Nugget and Nugget's Rescue, which involved a great number of MOL'ers many years ago, they will have every question answered on this thread, and gave them the link.

Well, the response was awesome, as virtually all of the original info on Nugget was lost on FB, when they nuked it. One of our long-time friends in the hot sauce industry, Marilyn, had thanked me. She knows my hardcore side, but also knows the other side as well. This is our conversation last night. By the time I was done writing my response, Maggie had just come home from the hospital (that's where she works), and saw me pretty much tearing up a bit, as I finished my last few keystrokes in my reply. Perhaps my words will give a bit of insight into what this little bunny's rescue meant AND still means to us.

Enjoy......

Marilyn - Thank you for providing the link. My day at work has been well spent, reading all the posts and seeing the pictures. I sit here with tears rolling down my face, and had to stop reading further.. My heart goes out to you both. Even after all these years, it's easy to see how she will always hold a special place in your hearts. She was The Queen~

Nugget von Beelzebunny Thank you Marilyn. It was my intent to show who I can, what it means to rescue an animal. Yeah, as the Defcon Sauces sauces guy, it's fun, but when it comes to how I can help animals, it's a completely different story. I have been given the talent of writing, and I use it as best I can. The Nugget story is one for the Ages when it comes to the life I have lived. She meant an extraordinary amount to us. To think, Nugget and I only knew each other for a few short years, but she was able to impart to me, a stronger feeling of empathy than I have ever felt. When she passed in my arms, I felt true loss, as if a part of me had been ripped from my very heart. This wound was healed, over time, with the knowledge that I was able to impart to Nugget, the fact that she was loved, and that her early years bore no resemblance to what she had finally found, although Her happy years did not equate, if only in number, to her years of misery. Perhaps Nugget had a simple mind, who is to know? For they do not speak as we do. For all I could do for her, my only hope is her realization that she was loved. I can ask for nothing more. As said in the requiem, She was born a pauper, yet died a Princess. Within my power, there was not much more I could do. I just hope she remembers us, as she looks down from the Rainbow Bridge, and accepts us. Here's a picture of her Shrine, posted by our front door, so Nugget can greet everyone who enters our home, as best she can.

It's been a while since I've had any updates. Well, HERE'S a good one. Not sure of the exact Mother Bunny (it might be Pallet), but Maggie spotted the newest addition to our backyard family. Meet Hitch (1st pic taken by our hot sauce trailer, hence the name). I'll have many updates on this new little Fuzzball. Welcome Hitch!

Here's a quick vid of Hitch a few nights ago. They little Dude is hilarious, and has already started following me around when I feed them each night.

Thanks, with everything going on in the world I was in desperate need of a cute bunny video.

Glad to be of help. Now, if you thought THAT was good, you're gonna LOVE this one!

Many of you weren't friends of Nugget when this happened to us. It's a bunny story, a true one, I lived it. It's a bit of a tear-jerker, but please don't stop reading until you reach the end. This was an insane roller-coaster ride for me both physically as well as emotionally. There is one picture of the device I used, you'll get the idea of how bad it was. Enjoy the story of Cassiopeia.
------------------------------------------------------------------
March 22, 2015 11PM
Many of you may not know the odyssey I have had since last Wednesday. Many of you probably do know that I have a soft spot in my heart for rabbits. Well, here we go.
It was Wednesday evening, after work at the regular job, and I did what I usually do, go out back and feed the multitude of wile Eastern Cottontails that stop by nightly. We have an average of about 7-8 each evening. They are cute as Hell, and are hilarious to watch. Anyway, Thursday night, in addition to the "regulars" there was a domestic black and white rabbit among them. Well, domestic rabbits are doomed to a death sentence in the wild, as they have no acclimation to predators or what foods to eat. I was at a loss as what to do, as there was an impending snowstorm coming Friday night, and chances were he wouldn't make it.
At work on Thursday, I told a couple co-workers of my dilemma, and one woman happened to catch stray cats on a regular basis to have them spayed and neutered, and had access to many different types of traps, and supplied me with one on Friday, a large drop trap (as seen below). I set it up Friday night, put out the normal seed for the "regulars", but knowing the domestic wouldn't know what to eat, I put fresh kale, carrots, carrot tops, flat-leaf parsley and a pile of Timothy Hay under the trap (food we fed our bunny, Nugget von Beelzebunny, when she was alive). The new one arrived, and came within 1 foot of going under the trap, but to no avail. I sat up until about 2am, and wasn't able to catch it.
Friday came, and so did the snowstorm. I set the trap out again. The regulars showed up as usual, and so did the domestic. This time, the domestic had a hurt back leg, and was walking with quite a limp. I stayed up until about 4am Friday night, but again was unsuccessful. Now, with the bad leg, this poor thing's days were numbered. I don't do it very often, but I actually said a Prayer for the little lost one, and fought back tears as I fell asleep. When I said the Prayer outside, I just happened to be staring at the constellation Cassiopeia, so that is the name I am giving the little lost one.
Saturday came, and once again, I set up the trap with all fresh food again. It was an odd evening, as we normally had only about 7-8 "regulars". This night the backyard was TEEMING with wild bunnies, 17 at the highest count, but no domestic. I stayed up again until about 4am, when exhaustion and fatigue began to set in.
Well, I'm kind of forced to consider the worst. I have not seen the little lost one since Friday night, and he had a gimp back leg. He had followed the regular bunnies around all the time, and with the crazy number of bunnies out back last night, and he didn't show up, I fear he is no longer with us. I have stood vigil for 3 nights and have only gotten about 12 hours of sleep. I can't keep this up any longer, as fatigue is definitely setting in. Maggie feels bad, as she has been on the overnight shift with the local cop shop since Thursday, so she couldn't help standing watch, and is pretty much forcing me to get some sleep. I tried, I really did, and I feel horrible I wasn't able to do anything, to help the little lost one who was given a death sentence by being set out into the wild.
I just wish there was a happier ending. Perhaps some of you will read this, and understand that domestic rabbits are unable to survive the wild, and their demise comes quickly. So, if you know anyone that is thinking of letting their house rabbit out, please explain to them they are not wired for it at all. Besides the plethora of predators, they do not know anything of the local flora and fauna, and could very well eat something poisonous just out of hunger. If anyone is ever looking to give away a domestic rabbit, please contact your local veterinarian.
I'm sorry Cassiopeia, I tried as best I could to save you. I wish you a painless journey to the Rainbow Bridge, and look forward to holding you when we meet again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
March 22, 2015 2AM
STOP THE F******G PRESSES!!!
Just when you think you have life figured out, it reminds you that you have a long way to go. I was gettin' ready to hit the sheets about 10pm. I figured I'd say good night to the "regulars" out back, when, as if reborn, THERE SHE WAS!!! I quickly put out the trap. She came back about 20 minutes later. She now resides in our home, for at least a couple of days, just to calm her down.
I GIVE TO YOU, CASSIOPEIA, THE LOST ONE WHO FOUND HER WAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!
March 23, 2015
Words cannot describe how happy I am right now. For the first time since Wednesday, I slept happy. Checked on her this morning, she's doing fine. Maggie will be stopping by the vet today to set up a checkup. Not sure about the leg yet, she seemed much better last night before I trapped her. Time will tell. We're going to keep her for a few days, just so she can get some long awaited good food, and to just let her relax. The little one has been through a LOT, and I think she is due for a few days of R&R. Perhaps the Prayer I said the other night had something to do with it.
March 28, 2015
Well, as stated before, Life itself has a nasty habit of putting your feet back on the ground. We let Cassiopeia run around the house for the first time yesterday afternoon. Well, her roaming and handling triggered the worst asthma attack I've had in 4 years (oh yeah, I'm allergic to bunnies, but that's another story). We have to give her up, as I cannot continue regular life like this. We've contacted St. Huberts and Safe Haven to take her. THIS sucks, but there isn't much I can do about it. She is an awesome bunny, and totally handle-able. See that? We call that Karma. I stay up for 3 days with 4 hours of sleep trying to trap her, and this happens. I just hope a true family gets her. I fear for her because Easter is coming, and a bunch of idiotic parents who buy/adopt rabbits for their children for Easter, and then discard them when the children don't care 2 days later. I love this little fuzzball, and will always stick with this picture. God bless you Cassiopeia!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
March 30, 2015
Well, the woman who is interested in the bunny needed a couple days to make the decision to take her or not. As live would have it, my asthma EXPLODED last night because of the rabbit dander, and Maggie dropped off the little girl at St. Huberts shelter this morning. Who would've thought that this little fuzzy would turn me into an emotional rollercoaster. Well played Cassiopeia, well played. Anyway, the people at the shelter took one look at her and fell in love. They stated she won't be there for long, as someone will definitely take her. That makes me feel a little better. Good luck Cassie, I did the best I could for you, and hope you find someone that loved you as much as I did. Man this sucks, I gotta go wipe off my face now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
April 4, 2015
Well, many of you followed the journey of the domestic rabbit that I had to trap for it to survive. Well, here's the final update. It seems my assumption that the neighbors that moved out abandoned her was incorrect. Cassiopeia was taken to a well-respected shelter last Monday, after my asthma exploded while she was here. The shelter put out an email to the local residents stating she was found, and would hold her for 7 days in case the owners showed up. Well, they did, Cassie was reunited with her previous owners, who had to show veterinary records as well as pictures before she would be released into their custody. I wish Cassie the best with her previous owners, perhaps some day they will thank us for saving her.

So never a thank you? LOL Did you find out who (or where) the owners were?

Maybe St. Huberts didn't give out your name.

Never found out. I thought it was a little weird they never came forward with at least a thank you. But, to be honest, it doesn't really matter. I was happy to have saved the fuzzballs life.

Came across this the day day - had to repost:

WOW! Now THERE's an oldie! Luv ya Dude!

Ok, well, I realize not many people read this thread anymore. I also realize there are a TON of new people that frequent MOL. Well, that being said, if you do read this, and want to get the awesome warm fuzzy feeling of doing something for someone who can never repay you, you owe it to yourself to read this thread from the beginning. It's a true Odyssey.

That being said, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and if it wasn't for Just The Aunt, who started this thread, and has since passed to the other side, to hang with Nugget on the Rainbow Bridge, this story would have never been possible.

Always enjoy reading your thread but don't always comment. Merry Christmas to you and family!

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you well.

Merry Christmas, Deffy Darlin'!

I always see what's up when there's something new on this thread.

Happy New Year! question Peace.

Be this guy, always be this guy.

I decided to spend part of today reading Nugget's forever thread to learn about the beautiful life and love experiences within. I was glad to have a box of tissues on my bed tray because I cried and I cried!

You know, all of you who have posted in this thread are really really really good people.

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, the story kinda grips the heart, but in a good way. We were proud to have been able to give Nugget an awesome life, albeit only a few years. The outpouring of support when we first got her from the MOL'ers many years ago was nothing short of amazing.

Thank you - I needed that today !

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.