Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

DanDietrich said:

Mathematically eliminated last night.  In my mind eliminated by the losses to Pittsburgh and Miami around the all star break.

Note to self: Remember to cancel Hulu Live. 

Soul_29 said:

DanDietrich said:

Mathematically eliminated last night.  In my mind eliminated by the losses to Pittsburgh and Miami around the all star break.

Note to self: Remember to cancel Hulu Live. 

I don't get it.  Please enlighten me

DanDietrich said:

You can get SNY on Hulu Live if you don’t have cable. 

jimmurphy said:

DanDietrich said:

You can get SNY on Hulu Live if you don’t have cable. 

Ah.  Thanks.  Sometimes I'm not so bright.

DanDietrich said:

Ah.  Thanks.  Sometimes I'm not so bright.

Nah, all that streaming stuff is so confusing and frustrating.

I would love to cut the cable cord but there is no way to get Mets, Yankees, and all of the playoff games with one streaming service. (For the record I am not a Yankee hater and I have a Yankee-fan son.)

Hulu has the Mets, DirecTV has the Yanks, TBS and TNT usually have the early rounds of the playoffs, so you need a streaming service that has both of those. 

Pretty maddening.  I cannot wait for the day when TV is truly a-la-carte.  

I'll probably be dead first...

Mets -- new MLB record for most days spent in first place by a team to finish the season with a losing record. So does that make them a good bad team or a bad good team?

Train_of_Thought said:

Mets -- new MLB record for most days spent in first place by a team to finish the season with a losing record. So does that make them a good bad team or a bad good team?

A good bad team.

A good bad team would be good at being bad to collect draft picks.  The Mets are a bad bad team, which is not good.

They're Metiocre. That 1 inning from Syndergaard should get him $20 mil next year.

I am surprised by how much negativity I see online about Stroman.  I consider him to be an excellent pitcher.  Easily our best starter this year and a great fielder.  I think the fact that he dared to discuss racism has cost him fans.  He would be my first priority when it comes to signing pitchers, although I would re sign all of the other starters as well 

Agreed that he's an excellent pitcher.

The racism discussion is an element for some, I'm sure. 

In my opinion, he also comes across in interviews as a bit self-centered and his handling of the Covid situation last season rubbed me the wrong way. Left the team in a lurch at the last minute.

That said, I'd sign him too. 

The Covid situation last year and supporting the thumbs down nonsense this year didn't help either, but I would sign him. Bring back Loup and Villar as well. Why is he playing Pillar instead of Dom? There's no point in playing Pillar. .220 hitters that piss off the fan base are a dime a dozen.

jfinnegan said:

The Covid situation last year and supporting the thumbs down nonsense this year didn't help either, but I would sign him. Bring back Loup and Villar as well. Why is he playing Pillar instead of Dom? There's no point in playing Pillar. .220 hitters that piss off the fan base are a dime a dozen.

I think Dom has had a bunch of nagging injuries all year, and once the team fell out of contention, Rojas hasn't been playing him much, especially with the expanded roster.

I would prefer to see somebody like Khalil Lee playing. It's actually worse if they win these meaningless games. See if the young guys have anything to offer. They're going to have to overpay Stroman. Robbie Ray is the only somewhat young good free agent pitcher out there that probably won't return to his current team. 

I, for one, would gladly have Michael Conforto in right next year. That's just me.

Train_of_Thought said:

I, for one, would gladly have Michael Conforto in right next year. That's just me.

are we in agreement for once? 

grin

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

are we in agreement for once? 

grin

For once?! That hurts. Get me Soul on the horn.

Train_of_Thought said:

The issue comes down to finding a better replacement.  There may not be a better right fielder available.

I like Conforto, but I'm done with them basing their following season on how a player performed the last month of the season. He's the 5th best outfielder out there, maybe. They talk about his leadership ability. Where was he during the thumbs down nonsense? 

I suppose they can get rid of the manager and coaches, and all of the medical and training staff again and send out the exact same lineup and it will all work out. 

Alas, it's going to be hot stove time soon. Can't come fast enough.

BTW, I'm not really a Mets fan but I'm chiming in on threads I am effort to sink a thread. Carry on.

I think deciding to not extend Conforto before the start of this season was a mistake. He seemed to swing from being ridiculously aggressive to overly cautious at the plate early in the season. I haven't seen the breakdown, but I'd be interested to see how many strike outs looking he had. After his injury his bat was nowhere to be found - until September.

On the other hand, now that the Padres have fired their manager, how long does Rojas have?

Any recommendations for manager? I would like Billy Beane and Bob Melvin to come over from the A's. I liked Eddie Perez a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if they're going to go for another manager with no experience.

jfinnegan said:

Any recommendations for manager? I would like Billy Beane and Bob Melvin to come over from the A's. I liked Eddie Perez a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if they're going to go for another manager with no experience.

who knows these days?  Gabe Kapler was a complete bust in Philly, now he's Manager of the Year.  As long as the guy isn't a creep or an idiot, I'm not sure how much it matters.  The players gotta play.

if the Mets had hit with RISP, they'd be in the postseason, and Rojas would be the manager next year.  And no amount of effort by anyone is going to convince me the lack of scoring was the fault of the manager and not the hitters.

ml1 said:

who knows these days?  Gabe Kapler was a complete bust in Philly, now he's Manager of the Year.  As long as the guy isn't a creep or an idiot, I'm not sure how much it matters.  The players gotta play.

if the Mets had hit with RISP, they'd be in the postseason, and Rojas would be the manager next year.  And no amount of effort by anyone is going to convince me the lack of scoring was the fault of the manager and not the hitters.

I'm Mrincredible and I approve this message 

mrincredible said:

ml1 said:

I'm Mrincredible and I approve this message 

I agree completely.  They bring players along until they are polished.  Was Rojas hopeless?  Maybe he should have put up a blackboard with "Hitting into DP=Bad" on it.

3 things off the top of my head that you don't see other teams do: 1)celebrate like you won the championship during spring training 2) ratcoon 3) have the players do thumbs down for a week and say you never noticed it. He seems like a nice guy, but unless they are going to get rid of 80% of their team they have to go for somebody else. 

I blame more of it on Sandy and the front office, but Sandy seems to get away with everything. His percentage of success on his moves over the last year is about the same as Almora's batting average.

ml1 said:

I agree for the most part, certainly on the offensive side.

I do think that he made some questionable moves on the pitching side, predominantly lifting guys too early, and inconsistently using relievers. 

The trouble is that you never do know how much they are just following orders these days. I do get the sense that Rojas had no choice but to be a good soldier in that regard.

One would think that a more veteran manager might hold more sway. Not a fossil, but someone with some experience at the major league level.

And Sandy should go too.

My question when people want someone fired or replaced is always "with whom"?  What manager who is willing to be run by a gm and analytics department, but still has baseball smarts and the respect of players and also makes perfect in game moves is sitting idly by waiting for a call?

DanDietrich said:

My question when people want someone fired or replaced is always "with whom"?  What manager who is willing to be run by a gm and analytics department, but still has baseball smarts and the respect of players and also makes perfect in game moves is sitting idly by waiting for a call?

I’m not as familiar with all of the minor league organizations’ staffs as someone in the industry would be. One would think others are more-so, so I don’t think it’s really fair to expect a replacement suggestion. Gotta be a few guys down there with the desired skill set.

And when I said “more veteran,” that doesn’t necessarily include MLB managerial experience. I agree with you that the guys on the sidelines, like Showalter for example, don’t fit that bill.

I also hope that the pendulum swings away a bit from analytics as seemingly the sole driver of decisions.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!