Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I really like Howie.  Troubling.  

Soul_29 said:

Ugh.

Poor guy. I hope he's ok. I haven't heard what he's battling, but he missed some games earlier in the year. They're difficult to listen to when he's not on.

jfinnegan said:

Soul_29 said:

Ugh.

Poor guy. I hope he's ok. I haven't heard what he's battling, but he missed some games earlier in the year. They're difficult to listen to when he's not on.

I had noticed that in photos taken this year Howie looked like he lost weight.  I had thought it was on purpose, but maybe not.  Hoping for the best for him.

bub said:

Yeah the booing is not productive but this unusual thumbs down thing ain't gonna help.  It's fine for players to say booing doesn't help and it hurts.  The thumbs down thing though is, literally, giving the finger to the people who are paying your salary.

I think a lot more pro sports players are cynical or indifferent about fans then they let on.  They mouth the obligatory love for their fans and then move on in free agency or trades and immediately love their new fans.  

agree, it was a really, really dumb move by Baez to talk about it.  If it had stayed an inside joke among the players, nobody would have been the wiser.

and of course the talk radio guys are going ballistic this afternoon.  Michael Kay was shouting that the Mets should release Baez immediately.  To send a message to the fans that the club is on their side.  I'm a fan, and I don't boo players for striking out.  What message does that send to people like me?  That the knuckleheads are the valued fans?

I think it would be better to clear the air, and just have a few of the players including Baez come out and admit that yes, the booing bothers them.  And that they are as frustrated with the losing as the fans are.  I think that might be enough to put this behind them with most of the fan base, maybe even some of the ones booing.  It would at least show the fans that the players do care about what's going on with the team.

This is why I never have my son sit on my lap during interviews. It was odd that right after ripping the Mets fans apart he says he would love to play with Francisco. Obviously there's no chance of that happening now.

jfinnegan said:

This is why I never have my son sit on my lap during interviews. It was odd that right after ripping the Mets fans apart he says he would love to play with Francisco. Obviously there's no chance of that happening now.

I had no interest in the Mets re-signing Baez before with all of the ridiculous Ks, and even less now.

The real problem is Lindor, who is locked in for 10 years.  He has to extricate himself from this diplomatically if that's possible.   I'm not saying the Mets would play the card but is this a contract thing?   Insulting the fans?

bub said:

The real problem is Lindor, who is locked in for 10 years.  He has to extricate himself from this diplomatically if that's possible.   I'm not saying the Mets would play the card but is this a contract thing?   Insulting the fans?

I think it's easy to back away from this. Just admit that the losing is driving him crazy just like it's driving the fans crazy. I don't think anyone thinks he doesn't care or isn't trying. 

jimmurphy said:

I had no interest in the Mets re-signing Baez before with all of the ridiculous Ks, and even less now.

I completely agree with this. I hate watching guys go up to the plate and have no game plan whatsoever. I also can't stand how often Dom Smith has been taking called third strikes. You can't be guessing when you have two strikes. Look fastball and try to foul it off if it's something else. I was trying to think of who the leader is in the clubhouse. Nobody spoke up and told them this is a bad idea? Then again nobody spoke up with the Donnie Stevenson nonsense either or didn't tell Lindor the raccoon story wasn't a good idea. I suppose the guy making $300 mil is supposed to be the leader.

I like Lindor.  I don't expect him to be the first, best, or top dog of everything just because he's getting paid.  This year offensively has sucked for him, and I don't expect that he will ever be the player he used to be.  Everyone changes.  But he has a lot of energy, a lot of enthusiasm, and his presence is felt in every game he plays.  There can be several leaders on a team.  I really hope they re sign Stroman.  He is another high energy guy who I think could lead the staff.  DeGrom is the best on the mound, but he may not be the guy to sit next to a guy who just blew a game and chat.  Mortals relate best to other mortals.

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

On July 1 Rojas was legitimately in the conversation for NL Manager of the Year. Now seven weeks later he should be fired? 

Was he? They faced bad teams up until July. Since then they haven't been able to consistently beat mediocre teams. I don't know of anybody else out there so why not give him another year? Just get a couple of hitting coaches. I figure Cohen is going to clean house and either Scott or a new GM is going to want their own manager.

He was never in the conversation.  Please.  Barely over .500 in the worst division in baseball?

Well he only has one month left if that. He had to have heard them talking about the thumbs down or at the very least have seen them doing it in the games and he is acting like he had no idea. Either way it's a bad look for him. So who do they hire? Kai Correa, the bench/infield coach for the Giants? They have to go outside of the organization, though I do miss David Wright. 

Wow! Didn’t realize how much of a noodle-arm Dom has.

yahooyahoo said:

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

On July 1 Rojas was legitimately in the conversation for NL Manager of the Year. Now seven weeks later he should be fired? 

Was he? They faced bad teams up until July. Since then they haven't been able to consistently beat mediocre teams. I don't know of anybody else out there so why not give him another year? Just get a couple of hitting coaches. I figure Cohen is going to clean house and either Scott or a new GM is going to want their own manager.

He was never in the conversation.  Please.  Barely over .500 in the worst division in baseball?

he sure was.  This was LITERALLY a conversation about Rojas as MOY.  

Does Luis Rojas have a strong case for NL Manager of the Year? | Shea Anything

ml1 said:

yahooyahoo said:

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

True. And, to be fair, he was doing it with smoke and mirrors, with players dropping like flies. 

I listened to Shea Anything today and they feel as if Rojas will not survive this season. Their sentiment, and I agree, is that he might not be the problem but he ain't part of the solution. I like him and think he'll be a great manager for a team that's not historically dysfunctional. 

Shea Anything mentioned Lindor "Mr. Smile" and Bobby Bonilla "You won't wipe this smile off my face..." Interesting juxtaposition. 

maybe they'll bring Beltran back.  Hinch and Cora got jobs.

I watched some of Lindor's press conference earlier. Why don't they just say they made a mistake and they're sorry? Rambling on with excuses isn't helping matters. I'm afraid he's going to work a raccoon into the story at this point. He was getting booed while he was talking. Tonight isn't going to be pretty. 

Good thing he didn't listen to DiSarcina. It's odd that he has such bad ABs, because he makes a lot of smart plays in every other facet of the game.

jfinnegan said:

Good thing he didn't listen to DiSarcina. It's odd that he has such bad ABs, because he makes a lot of smart plays in every other facet of the game.

that's why he's el Mago

5.5 GB with 30 games to go. 

Ya Gotta Believe!

Nothing like some wins against the Nats and Marlins to infuse some optimism! So how many wins do you think it takes to make it? I think at least 22 of 30. I wish the WC was around in the 80s. The Mets would have made the playoffs almost every year. 

Every day something new. So who will be the GM for the rest of the year? Is John Ricco still around?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32127671/new-york-mets-acting-gm-zack-scott-facing-dui-charge-join-team-road-trip

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

yahooyahoo said:

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

True. And, to be fair, he was doing it with smoke and mirrors, with players dropping like flies. 

I listened to Shea Anything today and they feel as if Rojas will not survive this season. Their sentiment, and I agree, is that he might not be the problem but he ain't part of the solution. I like him and think he'll be a great manager for a team that's not historically dysfunctional. 

Shea Anything mentioned Lindor "Mr. Smile" and Bobby Bonilla "You won't wipe this smile off my face..." Interesting juxtaposition. 

Who was talking about it that does not work for the Mets or the network that covers the Mets?

yahooyahoo said:

Who was talking about it that does not work for the Mets or the network that covers the Mets?

https://lastwordonsports.com/baseball/2021/06/03/national-league-awards-check-in/

“While Kapler’s Giants have the best record in the NL, the same cannot be said about the New York Mets. At 27-21, they are first in the NL East, four games ahead of the Atlanta Braves. If you just take a peek at the Mets injured list, you will know how much they have had to overcome to even be six games over .500. They are not doing it with great offense, but with great pitching instead. Rojas deserves credit for his team’s success as it can be easy for teams and players to feel defeated with so many impact players on the injured list.”

jimmurphy said:

https://lastwordonsports.com/baseball/2021/06/03/national-league-awards-check-in/

“While Kapler’s Giants have the best record in the NL, the same cannot be said about the New York Mets. At 27-21, they are first in the NL East, four games ahead of the Atlanta Braves. If you just take a peek at the Mets injured list, you will know how much they have had to overcome to even be six games over .500. They are not doing it with great offense, but with great pitching instead. Rojas deserves credit for his team’s success as it can be easy for teams and players to feel defeated with so many impact players on the injured list.”

that was easy. 

Soul_29 said:

5.5 GB with 30 games to go. 

Ya Gotta Believe!

If I give u a pass on posting a week ago "It's over," can I finally get some good will?

question

Don't look now, but the Mets have picked up 4.5 games on the Braves in a week. 

ml1 said:

Don't look now, but the Mets have picked up 4.5 games on the Braves in a week. 

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I want to re sign Stroman, even more so after that play at third.  What an athlete.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.