Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

FilmCarp said:

i think the magic of springer is not just his ability, but that Nimmo belongs in left, where he may do well.  Just leave him there, instead of trying to shoehorn a first baseman into left field.  Conforto, Springer, Nimmo, is a pretty good outfield.

Don’t disagree, but then where does Smith play? If first, where does Alonzo play?

jimmurphy said:

FilmCarp said:

i think the magic of springer is not just his ability, but that Nimmo belongs in left, where he may do well.  Just leave him there, instead of trying to shoehorn a first baseman into left field.  Conforto, Springer, Nimmo, is a pretty good outfield.

Don’t disagree, but then where does Smith play? If first, where does Alonzo play?

If there is no DH one of them is prime trade bait in a hunt for a true third baseman.  I really like Smith because he plays my type of baseball, but Alonso deserves a full season to see if he is as good as people think.  I can handle a power hitter hitting 260, but not 230.  No more Dave Kingmans, please.

so the Mets apparently are getting McCann:

Mets, McCann agree to 4-yr. deal (source)

McCann has also posted positive metrics behind the plate the past two seasons, including 9 Defensive Runs Saved. He has made significant improvements to his pitch framing, which was an area of issue throughout former Mets catcher Wilson Ramos’ tenure with the team. But McCann split time with Yasmani Grandal last season in Chicago and has spent much of his career as a backup, never appearing in more than 118 games. Now in New York, the Mets will count on him as their everyday catcher, likely with Tomás Nido behind him on the depth chart.

It's a good sign, IMHO that they didn't just throw stupid money at the biggest name out there.  They got a guy who will be a big upgrade at a position that was a weakness, and still have budget left to do another deal or two,.

Have they said for certain that there isn't a DH in 2020? I would think they would make that announcement by now. If there isn't a DH they'll probably have to move Smith or Alonso. Alonso looked lost at the plate and in the field all year. I don't know why some games Rojas would have Smith DH instead of Alonso. Alonso continues to range all the way to his right and try to make hard plays on grounders that are routine grounders to the 2nd baseman. My preference would be to keep Dom, but they would be selling low with Alonso.

jfinnegan said:

Have they said for certain that there isn't a DH in 2020? I would think they would make that announcement by now. If there isn't a DH they'll probably have to move Smith or Alonso. Alonso looked lost at the plate and in the field all year. I don't know why some games Rojas would have Smith DH instead of Alonso. Alonso continues to range all the way to his right and try to make hard plays on grounders that are routine grounders to the 2nd baseman. My preference would be to keep Dom, but they would be selling low with Alonso.

Hasn’t been said for certain but a memo was sent out telling teams to prepare as if there’d be no DH. 

No comments on the new GM. I heard rumors that they hired him, because he worked with Theo Epstein and they might try to get Theo in a year or two to take over for Sandy. Doesn't really make sense to me. I would think if they do well and Sandy retires that the GM would be promoted. 

jfinnegan said:

No comments on the new GM. I heard rumors that they hired him, because he worked with Theo Epstein and they might try to get Theo in a year or two to take over for Sandy. Doesn't really make sense to me. I would think if they do well and Sandy retires that the GM would be promoted. 

I think the jobs are different.  Sandy is on charge of everything.  Running the entire organization including travel, catering, etc.  The GM focuses on what's on the field at various levels.  A good GM should be happy to not have to think about the other stuff.

jfinnegan said:

I love this decision. He's an analytics wiz coming from several great organizations. This is exactly what the Mets needed.

Lindor and Carrasco to the Mets!

Losing Gimenez and Rosario and 2 minor leaguers, one a pitcher, the other an OFer and both top 10 Mets prospects.

Gotta extend Lindor though.

Gulp.  That's a steep price, considering the additional salary commitment.  I hope they both live up to it. 

Whatdya think? Guillorme backs up Lindor?

That's a deal they have to make. I think they only make that deal if a long term contract has already been discussed. I also hate Rosario's approach at the plate so I won't miss him. I did like Gimenez. A top 5 SS and a quality starter for what they gave up seems like a good deal to me. 

jfinnegan said:

That's a deal they have to make. I think they only make that deal if a long term contract has already been discussed. 

You'd think, if only because they aren't the Phillies. (Realmuto, grumble, grumble.) 

I have unrealistic expectations for Sandy and Cohen at the moment. I don't see any way they give away 4 of their top young players without expecting Lindor to sign long term. That's something I would expect from BVW. 

jfinnegan said:

That's a deal they have to make. I think they only make that deal if a long term contract has already been discussed. I also hate Rosario's approach at the plate so I won't miss him. I did like Gimenez. A top 5 SS and a quality starter for what they gave up seems like a good deal to me. 

I agree. I hated that Rosario just would not take a walk and swung at garbage as a result. The 2 prospects were somewhere between 7 and 10. 

Hope you are right on the contract.

I still wish the best to Rosario and Gimenez.  I always hate that trades are depicted as win/lose

Especially when the Mets lose most of them. I wish Gimenez and Rosario well, but it's tough to not see this as a salary dump by Cleveland. 

Dodgers traded for Mookie Betts in February, but didn't sign him to an extension until July.  I have to believe that Cohen has instructed his front office to do everything in their power to get Lindor to sign a long term deal.  I can't believe they aren't going to make it happen.

Trivia: The Phillies signed Carrasco as a 16-year-old out of Venezuela. Six years later, he was the most promising of four prospects traded for Clifton Phifer Lee.

A trade that worked out for everybody! 

(Wellll ... the Phillies got 12 regular-season starts and an amazing playoff run out of Lee, then inexplicably  -- even to this day -- dealt him to Seattle. So they had to trade for Lee again to have him for his final four, mostly stellar seasons.)

Who did they get from Seattle for him? That deal didn't make sense. He was still in his prime and had carried them. He was unhittable when he was on.

The Phils got three prospects: Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies and JC Ramirez. Aumont was supposed to become a hard-throwing, back-end reliever; he didn't. Gillies was supposed to be a plus outfielder and leadoff guy; he never made it to the bigs. Ramirez was supposed to be the throw-in; he didn't disappoint there.

The stated reasons for dealing Lee, on the same day Halladay was acquired, were payroll and a depleted farm system. Neither held water.

ETA: "He was unhittable when he was on." One of my favorite Phillies pitchers ever to watch. Just so cool and commanding. (Halladay was right up there, too, of course, but Lee had a magnetic serenity.)

Well I think your current GM won't be trading top pitchers if he wouldn't trade Wheeler for Babe Ruth.    

Heh. That was the owner. Many Phillies fans are panicked that the GM will trade the entire farm system, maybe even for a bag of this guy’s baseballs.

Maybe bring in that guy to help Neris with his control issues.  

DaveSchmidt said:

The Phils got three prospects: Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies and JC Ramirez. Aumont was supposed to become a hard-throwing, back-end reliever; he didn't. Gillies was supposed to be a plus outfielder and leadoff guy; he never made it to the bigs. Ramirez was supposed to be the throw-in; he didn't disappoint there.

The stated reasons for dealing Lee, on the same day Halladay was acquired, were payroll and a depleted farm system. Neither held water.

ETA: "He was unhittable when he was on." One of my favorite Phillies pitchers ever to watch. Just so cool and commanding. (Halladay was right up there, too, of course, but Lee had a magnetic serenity.)

Excuse me, sir. Did you notice the title of this thread? 

Train of Thought, please show this young man the door. 

Aw, nuts. A fella answers a question. Doomed again by Tyson Gillies.

No need to get up, Train. I’ll see myself out.

jfinnegan said:

Especially when the Mets lose most of them. I wish Gimenez and Rosario well, but it's tough to not see this as a salary dump by Cleveland. 

yes. 

But in a year or two they may be very happy with Gimenez as their SS. He isn't going to hit like Lindor, but he could be a GG fielder who hits above average for a SS. Last year he was only 21 and skipped Triple A entirely and was adequate at the plate. He might be very good in the pretty near future. 

Given that I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland flip Rosario before the start of this season. 

I know it's not my money and I'm actually not a big fan of his, but Springer seems like a good fit for the lineup and defensively.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.