Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I think BVW traded all their double A pitchers.

FilmCarp said:

I'd rather see a double A pitcher get beat up than ever see Porcello or Wacha on the mound again.  Syndergaard would have been great this year with this offense.  

I'd be ok with Porcello still in the rotation. He's had a couple of good games, so he could still turn things around.  Wacha seems to be done.  I'd rather they sent anyone else out there.  What an opportunity it could have been for Gsellman.  What a strange injury he came down with.  Wonder if it was a stress fracture.

I can't believe Gsellman is only 27. I thought he was older. I keep thinking he might do well, but he hasn't been all that great since 2016. Is Oswalt done? They might have to keep sending Wacha out there. I don't know what other options they have. Stroman opting out really hurt.

deGrom is getting a year's worth of runs in two games.

Surprising this didn't happen to Wheeler in NY. It's about as Mets an injury as you can have. 

'Can't Make It Up': Wheeler Injured By Pants

Who knew Zack was short for Mordecai?

That's too bad.  I want him to do well. Maybe not against the Mets, but he's a good guy.

Love everything about Dom Smith.   

FilmCarp said:

That's too bad.  I want him to do well. Maybe not against the Mets, but he's a good guy.

I want him to do well. But I want the Phils to lose when he pitches anyway. 

I root for the Mets even against the Phillies, because no other team has suffered freakish injuries or been the victim of Cruel and Unusual Fate the way they have. Poor 58-year-old franchise and its fans just can’t catch a break.

So how did Ramirez get a save yesterday?  He pitched three good innings,  I'm not bashing him.  But he had a 14 run lead when he came in.

FilmCarp said:

So how did Ramirez get a save yesterday?  He pitched three good innings,  I'm not bashing him.  But he had a 14 run lead when he came in.

One of the criteria of a save is finishing with at least three innings, no matter what the lead was.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/standard-stats/save 

FilmCarp said:

dude got a save this week coming in with a 20 run lead. 

DaveSchmidt said:

I root for the Mets even against the Phillies, because no other team has suffered freakish injuries or been the victim of Cruel and Unusual Fate the way they have. Poor 58-year-old franchise and its fans just can’t catch a break.

at least there are teenagers who can recall watching your team's last championship. 

That’s why I weep for the Dodgers, too.

Ramirez seemed very amped up for a guy with a massive lead.  Looking at him, you'd think it was a 1 run game.

I was a bit surprised Wayne Randazzo thought Geddy Lee was Bono, but even more surprised that Darling was quoting lyrics from The Spirit of  Radio

Looks like the sale is going through. The Wilpons can't be gone soon enough. 

jfinnegan said:

but of course they sold to another crook. 

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

but of course they sold to another crook. 

Agreed.  Not to mention that diversity is in name only when it comes to ownership 

Don't get me wrong, I hate Cohen. I would have preferred practically anybody else, but I won't be complaining if he goes out and signs Realmuto and Bauer in the offseason. And not having Jeff Wilpon involved with the team will be phenomenal. A friend of mine worked for the Mets from the mid 90s until the early 2000s. He said they'll never win while anybody that he worked with was still involved with the team. I have to check with him. I think after the Wilpons are gone there might be only one person left.

jfinnegan said:

Don't get me wrong, I hate Cohen. I would have preferred practically anybody else, but I won't be complaining if he goes out and signs Realmuto and Bauer in the offseason. And not having Jeff Wilpon involved with the team will be phenomenal. A friend of mine worked for the Mets from the mid 90s until the early 2000s. He said they'll never win while anybody that he worked with was still involved with the team. I have to check with him. I think after the Wilpons are gone there might be only one person left.

getting rid of Jeff is a definite plus.  But I'm going to wait and see if Cohen turns things over to the experts, or if he acts like he's the expert on how to win baseball games just because he's a really rich guy.  If he makes a serious commitment to putting the Mets at the forefront of player development technology and practice, and doesn't just try to spend big on free agents, I'll be optimistic. But until then, Cohen's arrival doesn't mean much to me, other than maybe addition by subtraction.

I wonder about the timeline.  How long does it take to complete the deal?  Who is running the draft this year, or pursuing free agents?  Is it an off-season of nothing while we wait?

FilmCarp said:

I wonder about the timeline.  How long does it take to complete the deal?  Who is running the draft this year, or pursuing free agents?  Is it an off-season of nothing while we wait?

I read yesterday that the MLB approval might come about fairly quickly, given that Cohen has been pursuing this purchase for a very long time.  If there wasn't a near certainty of approval, Manfred would probably have already signaled to Cohen that he should drop out.  But there's probably not enough time to bring in any new personnel to run the offseason, so it would seem the BVW regime will run all that. I would think the only thing that might change would be the budget for next year's payroll.  Which means if I'm the agent for Realmuto or Stroman, I'd keep the Mets on speed dial next winter.  Even if their clients don't sign with the Mets, they'll probably expect Cohen to bid up the pricing.

F Stroman.  How about Bauer.

FilmCarp said:

F Stroman.  How about Bauer.

I'd root for Bauer if the Mets signed him. But all evidence points to him being a major *******. 

Agree with F Stroman.  

I have two questions for the stat gurus.  Has that new catcher got even one hit as a Met?  And what is Cano's average since the trade deadline.  I am guessing about 250.

I get the fans' frustration with Stroman.  But I think he did go into summer camp and then rehab with the intention of playing this season.  But once there was a COVID outbreak among the Marlins, I get why he or any other player would opt out of the season.  If the team thinks he can help them in future, I'm not going to hold a grudge against a player because of his reaction to the pandemic.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.