I'd vote for Oprah. How about you?

flimbro said:

I was about to tick thru this and comment on some points and then I realized that I was actually debating whether Barack Obama's professional experiences left him better prepared for the presidency than a wildly popular talk show host. On TV I watched a news reader extol the findings of a recent 'poll' that pitted Trump against Oprah and then Rosanne Barr against Oprah. I laughed and decided that maybe we get exactly what we deserve.

Getting what we deserve is, of course, H. L. Mencken's theory/quip on democracy.

On this whole discussion, and the current POTUS, there's a sad irony in that when Obama ran, one of the "attacks" on him was that he was just a celebrity. It was a weird attack, all the odder now in light of the fact that the GOP literally elected someone purely on the basis of celebrity. 

Well, not purely on that basis -- his comments about not wanting people from "sh*thole countries" like Haiti, El Salvador, and Africa (a country, apparently) get to the true heart of his appeal... But I digress, I think? Or maybe there's some point about celebrity and America and politics somewhere in that mess. 

re Oprah and woo - if she were to actually run, she has a lot of 'splaining to do. Could be a deal breaker.

So far, we've had two president celebrities: Reagan and Trump. Reagan ran up the national debt and would rather ride horses with his wife than run the country and Trump is, well...horrid and lacks decorum. A few years ago a friend of a friend intro'd me to a lovely African couple. I could have sat there all night listening to them speak. They were so elegant and refined. They were extremely kind and very wealthy; both with degrees from their native land. Trump, as @PVW pointed out, didn't even know that Africa isn't a country. He thinks Africa is what he remembers from childhood Tarzan movies. 

kibbegirl said:

So far, we've had two president celebrities: Reagan and Trump. Reagan ran up the national debt and would rather ride horses with his wife than run the country and Trump is, well...horrid and lacks decorum. A few years ago a friend of a friend intro'd me to a lovely African couple. I could have sat there all night listening to them speak. They were so elegant and refined. They were extremely kind and very wealthy; both with degrees from their native land. Trump, as @PVW pointed out, didn't even know that Africa isn't a country. He thinks Africa is what he remembers from childhood Tarzan movies. 

Just a point of information:  The debt doubled under Obama. 

Maybe, but Reagan was a lying  deficit hawk while he did it.

The debt issue is b.s. anyway.

terp said:

kibbegirl said:

Just a point of information:  The debt doubled under Obama. 

This is a nonissue and there are way more important things to focus on right now, with this country being led by a madman.  Who gives a **** if Oprah might or might not make a good president.   We're in crisis mode here.

Finding a viable candidate should certainly be an area of focus right now. Not Oprah but somebody.

as much as I despised him and his policies, Reagan at least has significant political experience, didn’t behave like a pig and wasn’t a disaster every time he opened his mouth.

Naturally, the corporate Democrats love Oprah, because she is "big-hearted" and they don't have a clue about her policies.  They can just download the neoliberal script and they know she will parrot.

what’s a neoliberal script? I’m curious about a concise definition....

boomie said:

This is a nonissue and there are way more important things to focus on right now, with this country being led by a madman.  Who gives a **** if Oprah might or might not make a good president.   We're in crisis mode here.

Comic relief

Do you do you think you could edit the title of this thread? "What say you" is an expression bill o'reilly always used so I can't look at this thread without being reminded of him. Blaah.

Good reasons to oppose Oprah running for President.  

blianderson said:

Do you do you think you could edit the title of this thread? "What say you" is an expression bill o'reilly always used so I can't look at this thread without being reminded of him. Blaah.

Agreed. Do u speak like that in real life? Couldn’t it just say “what do you think?”

Who talks like that?

sheesh. tough room.

annielou said:

blianderson said:

Agreed. Do u speak like that in real life? Couldn’t it just say “what do you think?”

Who talks like that?

I wasn't going to bring it up but "what say you" sounds a little pretentious.  Probably why it's a pet phrase of O'Reilly.

nan said:

Not spending time watching the video.  From the intro picture, do they have a problem with an African-American woman being President so soon after an African-American man?

They don't believe in identity politics. They only look at policies.

nohero said:

nan said:

Not spending time watching the video.  From the intro picture, do they have a problem with an African-American woman being President so soon after an African-American man?

nan said:

They don't believe in identity politics. 

I can believe that about them. 

"Identity politics is the dismissive term for what we used to call ‘civil rights’ and ‘equality." - Samantha Bee

https://www.vox.com/2016/12/13/13936226/samantha-bee-identity-politics-democrats

nohero said:

nan said:

They don't believe in identity politics. 

I can believe that about them. 

"Identity politics is the dismissive term for what we used to call ‘civil rights’ and ‘equality." - Samantha Bee

https://www.vox.com/2016/12/13/13936226/samantha-bee-identity-politics-democrats

Your link did not work for me, but I can't stand Samantha Bee--she is funny and charming, but a total mouthpiece for the establishment. She is always giving not so subtle digs to Progressives.  She also thinks the Deep State is fiction. Wonder if she will do one of her reports on how 55 Democrats, led by  (a women!!!--yeah identity politics), Nancy Pelosi voted for warrantless surveillance of all Americans.  I'm not holding my breath. 

Anyway, the person in the video I posted, Emma Vigland, is a true progressive and she focuses on policies above race or gender.  If you watched the video, you would see that. 

drummerboy said:

sheesh. tough room.

annielou said:

blianderson said:

Who talks like that?

Thank you ; )

The hypocrisy of throwing around the term "mental illness" due to not enjoying Trump's behavior.  He was voted because he is the anti-politicican.  Apparently it was time. Ding dong. Sure he can be cringe-worthy, but you can't turn away, and no holds are barred. So here we are.  Like it or not. That said, if he does have a mental illness, every foundation and non-profit relating to mental illness awareness and education, should extol the fact someone with "mental illness"  can run and win the presidency against an old machine!! HE WON!  So I'm running with that. Not because I enjoy Trump per se, hardly, but because it's an unfair assessment to label your non-candidate as having mental illness solely because your candidate didn't win, and he just pisses you off. (not YOU C&R, but well, anyone claiming "he exhibits characteristics of a person with mental illness".  I mean we can point to people right here on this forum, that have obvious or potential "mental issues" by the way they treat people who say come here with innocuous questions or seeking advice, only to be met with vitriol by, I don't know, some of us.  Consistently.

conandrob240 said:

Well, it’s not really a joke. It is an actual concern that he exhibits characteristics of a person with mental illness.

mtierney said:

I wonder how millions of Americans who struggle with mental illnesses react to the jabs against POTUS that he is mentally compromised! The term should not be fodder for late night joksters.
nohero said:

mtierney said:

would fat jokes be banned?

No, but your GOP friends would probably go back to the watermelon, gorilla, and witch doctor jokes they guffawed over during the Obama Administration.

As for leadership competencies- it would be awesome if they were created for this job. Few companies hire senior level positions without defining them. 

Personality is a whole different story. It’s tough to measure. The best tests aren’t very good measures of personality constructs. And personality tests aren’t great predictors of behavior. But perhaps a basic test of psychometric stability might be a good start. There are a few that measure for major personality derailers. I’ll bet Trump has many. Then, a defined set of leadership competencies and some minimum experience requirements.

Certainly can't argue with any of that.

Ding dong indeed.

I don't want a celebrity for my president. I don't care what color the president is or gender. I want the president to be smarter than me and in areas where he lacks, have the capability to choose people who are well versed in those areas. It would be nice if our president was bilingual. It would be nice if our president was not affiliated with any one religion, but well educated on many. It would be advantageous if our president came from humble means and worked his way up, you know, like real Americans. I wouldn't care if the president was married or divorced. Our future president should be honest and hard working and unafraid. He should not use a Twitter account to disparage, humiliate or threaten. This individual should have no qualms on taking a mental fitness test. No person is perfect and this fictitious person will not be perfect either but if we continue to suggest that celebrities are options then we are the failures. 

I want a President who favors the policies and programs I favor. I would also like him or her to be a mature adult with some basic level of decency.

In that the person will be a politician who was able to be elected that's about all I can hope for.

Wow. It would take days to unravel the nonsense in this.

Just one question - do you think the fact that Trump has told 2000 documented lies in his first year is pertinent to anything?

Starsong said:

The hypocrisy of throwing around the term "mental illness" due to not enjoying Trump's behavior.  He was voted because he is the anti-politicican.  Apparently it was time. Ding dong. Sure he can be cringe-worthy, but you can't turn away, and no holds are barred. So here we are.  Like it or not. That said, if he does have a mental illness, every foundation and non-profit relating to mental illness awareness and education, should extol the fact someone with "mental illness"  can run and win the presidency against an old machine!! HE WON!  So I'm running with that. Not because I enjoy Trump per se, hardly, but because it's an unfair assessment to label your non-candidate as having mental illness solely because your candidate didn't win, and he just pisses you off. (not YOU C&R, but well, anyone claiming "he exhibits characteristics of a person with mental illness".  I mean we can point to people right here on this forum, that have obvious or potential "mental issues" by the way they treat people who say come here with innocuous questions or seeking advice, only to be met with vitriol by, I don't know, some of us.  Consistently.

I don't recall anyone suggesting GWB had any mental illness. People suggest it regarding Trump because his behavior is erratic. Two thousand lies in a year does suggest some sort of pathology.

And mental illness of some sort is no barrier to winning an election. Provided someone isn't having hallucinations and paranoid delusions there's no reason a person with any of a number of mental illnesses could win an election. 

Is racism a mental illness?  Is the irrational belief that the color of someone's skin presents a less than human condition evidence of some sort of mental deficiency?

He is the duly elected president.  Efforts, by any means necessary, to destroy him while he is in office--they hurt more than just him, and I wish they would stop.   I find the media landscape these days unrecognizable.  

The focus should be on running a candidate who can beat him.  

I would vote for Oprah Winfrey over Donald Trump.  Because:

1.  She is the executive of huge and powerful company that she herself built, which proves she is a very smart and very shrewd and hires good people.  It goes without saying that she must also fire bad people. 

2.  If she held a rally, people would show up.  

3.  She's not a politician.

4.  She means well. 

With regard to Commander in Chief duties, she is steelier and more ruthless than you think.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.