Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

cramer said:

Yesterday, McGreevey said it's a race between the vaccines and the variants. 

?

STANV said:

?

I guess meaning, we need to ramp up to herd immunity or we will have to deal with the variants that can only multiply among those spreading the current virus.

STANV said:

cramer said:

?

One of the explanations for the rise in infections is that there has been a rise in the number of people infected by the variants, and the variants are more contagious. The vaccines are effective against the variants. 

"COVID-19 vaccinations are on the rise in the U.S. — and so are coronavirus cases.

After a plateau lasting several weeks, the number of cases is once again on the increase in parts of the country."

"New cases, test positivity rates and hospital admissions are creeping upward. An increase in daily COVID-19 deaths is likely to follow, health officials say.

Calling it a race between vaccinations and variants, Ashish Jha, a public health policy researcher and dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health, tweeted: “Well, despite phenomenal vaccination rates, variants pulled ahead this week."

https://wamu.org/story/21/03/28/u-s-is-in-a-race-between-vaccines-and-variants-says-public-health-expert/

eta - Also, the more people that are vaccinated the less chance there is for the coronavirus to mutate. 

cramer said:

Yesterday, McGreevey said it's a race between the vaccines and the variants. The president of University Hospital in Newark was on Morning Joe and said the same thing. He said that the variants are stronger and are causing more hospitalizations, mainly among young people. He said that only 6% of the population in Newark has been fully vaccinated compared to 16% statewide, and hopes that the new FEMA megacenter in Newark will help close the gap. 

McGreevey?

FilmCarp said:

cramer said:

Yesterday, McGreevey said it's a race between the vaccines and the variants. The president of University Hospital in Newark was on Morning Joe and said the same thing. He said that the variants are stronger and are causing more hospitalizations, mainly among young people. He said that only 6% of the population in Newark has been fully vaccinated compared to 16% statewide, and hopes that the new FEMA megacenter in Newark will help close the gap. 

McGreevey?

Whoops.  

STANV said:

cramer said:

?

Whoops. 

If someone is aged 55-64 and resides in Maplewood, can she sign up now and schedule her vaccination date on or after April 5 ?

Slots open right now for Tuesday 4/6 at Sears.  Going fast.

sbenois said:

Slots open right now for Tuesday 4/6 at Sears.  Going fast.

Thank you !

sbenois:

In light of

tkc said:

If someone is aged 55-64 and resides in Maplewood, can she sign up now and schedule her vaccination date on or after April 5 ?

and 

sbenois

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:45pm

Yes

what is your understanding of why the Essexcovid site still (4/2 at 11P) advises:

Beginning April 5th, individuals aged 55 and older, additional frontline essential workers, and individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities 16 and over, detailed below, will be eligible to book appointments.

?

Does the answer, sbenois, hinge on the distinction between “can” and “may”?

dickf3 said:

You didn’t ask me, but in an attempt to shed light: Given that my wife, who is 55, was able to sign up this week for a slot next Wednesday, I’d say that “Beginning April 5th ... will be eligible to book appointments” means “Are eligible to book appointments that will begin April 5th.”

DaveSchmidt said:

dickf3 said:

You didn’t ask me, but in an attempt to shed light: Given that my wife, who is 55, was able to sign up this week for a slot next Wednesday, I’d say that “Beginning April 5th ... will be eligible to book appointments” means “Are eligible to book appointments that will begin April 5th.”

Correct

Here's a puzzle -- I registered for an appointment and subsequently received two emails, with two separate appointments, both using the same number.  There is no guidance on who to contact, and if I try to cancel one, I fear that both will be canceled, since they're both linked to the same number.  

If you applied to the County, the email will include two appointments, one for the first shot and the second one for the second dose 28 days later.  Other venues are also scheduling both shots if they are administering Pfizer or Moderna.

Dave and sbenois:

There is no question the essexcovid system allows someone like Dave's wife, who is 55, to sign up now for vaccination. But I question if doing so contravene's Gov. Murphy's regulations and even Essex County's intent.

If (IF) Essex County's rule is " ... 55-64 year olds are eligible for vaccination beginning April 5, and they can sign up for an appointment now", why did they not just say that? Your interpretation of their guidance has them using, at best, highly ambiguous language.

Matt Arco, one of NJ.com's regular reporters on NJ's covid response, wrote this at the beginning of this week:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/03/big-covid-vaccine-eligibility-expansion-starts-today-heres-everyone-in-nj-who-can-now-book-shots.html

And, The State of NJ "Who is Eligible for Vaccination?" web page includes both this:

Who is eligible for vaccination next?

Beginning, Monday, April 5, the following groups of individuals will be eligible for vaccination:

Individuals aged 55-64

and this:

Upcoming Eligibility Changes:

Beginning April 5th, individuals aged 55 and older, additional frontline essential workers, and individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities 16 and over, detailed below, will be eligible to book appointments.

So: are you still confident in the accuracy of your interpretation of Essex County's regulation?

dickf3 said:

Your interpretation of their guidance has them using, at best, highly ambiguous language.

If you had never before encountered ambiguous language (“highly” is a subjective amplifier, which I cannot subscribe to in this instance), you are a lucky person, even if it may have left you unpracticed in navigating it.

So: are you still confident in the accuracy of your interpretation of Essex County's regulation?

Since the interpretation was backed up by an actual appointment, yes.

I should have clarified that the two appointments are on the same day, so it's definitely not the follow up appointment. 

RichardR said:

I should have clarified that the two appointments are on the same day, so it's definitely not the follow up appointment. 

Same thing happened to Simone.  Same # - same date.  2 different times - 2:30pm and 3:50pm

The Essex covid and pharmacy websites screen people seeking vaccine appts with a checkbox that asks if you are “currently eligible”. If today is April 3rd and eligibility begins April 5th, then you are not yet currently eligible— you should not check the box to proceed. It doesn’t seem ambiguous to me. 

RichardR said:

So show up for the first one and let them know about the second one. I doubt that they will make you wait an hour and twenty minutes.

dickf3 said:

Dave and sbenois:

There is no question the essexcovid system allows someone like Dave's wife, who is 55, to sign up now for vaccination. But I question if doing so contravene's Gov. Murphy's regulations and even Essex County's intent.

If (IF) Essex County's rule is " ... 55-64 year olds are eligible for vaccination beginning April 5, and they can sign up for an appointment now", why did they not just say that? Your interpretation of their guidance has them using, at best, highly ambiguous language.

Matt Arco, one of NJ.com's regular reporters on NJ's covid response, wrote this at the beginning of this week:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/03/big-covid-vaccine-eligibility-expansion-starts-today-heres-everyone-in-nj-who-can-now-book-shots.html

And, The State of NJ "Who is Eligible for Vaccination?" web page includes both this:

Beginning, Monday, April 5, the following groups of individuals will be eligible for vaccination:

Individuals aged 55-64

and this:

1,000,000,000,000,000,000%

Dave:

How do you reconcile your interpretation with the State of NJ  website (as noted above) indicating 

"Beginning April 5. individuals aged 55 and over ... will be eligible to book appointments" ? 

Essexcovid repeats these guidelines at its own site. 

Did mmh, Matt Arco and I get it wrong (about what is right)?

dickf3 said:

How do you reconcile your interpretation with the State of NJ  website (as noted above) indicating 

"Beginning April 5. individuals aged 55 and over ... will be eligible to book appointments" ? 

Perhaps my language was ambiguous. As I intended to convey: Practical experience. 

dickf3 said:

Dave:

Essexcovid repeats these guidelines at its own site. 

Did mmh, Matt Arco and I get it wrong (about what is right)?

What exactly is your point?  The actual bureaucratic process is allowing it, the appointments so booked will be honored on site and in fact, because on the date and and in the place mentioned they will be eligible.

I am having a hard time squaring your post with any practical purpose other than a wish to prevent eligible people from getting appointments.  Please clarify.

dickf3 said:

Dave and sbenois:

Individuals aged 55-64

and this:

Sometimes, it takes a while for the on-line form to catch up with the change in eligibility.  When 65+ became eligible, the vaccine application form for Essex Covid still read that only health care workers were eligible.  Seniors who said yes they were health care workers, even though they were not were able to proceed to the next page where one could state they were not a health care worker, give their age as over 65 and get approved for a vaccination appointment.

Congrats, Sheena!

But... ummm...

-s.

I love how at the last station before you sit down for 15 minutes, that they ask you what arm you got the shot in.   It is really good that an accurate computerized record of all those vaccinated is being kept.    This may prove to be very valuable at some point.    

RichardR said:

I think we got 2 appointments possibly because they decided to start later.  First appointment was for 2 second was for 3:50.  When we got here at 2 - they said they’re opening at 3 for j&j shots.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!