FOR THOSE ACTUALLY INTERESTED IN POLITICS

drummerboy said:

Klinker said:

drummerboy said:

You can just say "I give up. I'm wrong'.
 You certainly can.
You know , you can support your case pretty easily. 
Just name a Dem presidential contender that was either coerced or threatened by the "Clinton machine" into not running.
Just one.
You can always ask nan for help.  cheese 

You can always ask Phil Murphy how many Dem governor contenders he "convinced" not to run.

drummerboy said:

Klinker said:

drummerboy said:
 yeah. ok. you're wrong. You have no evidence, tons of projection and conjecture.
Good luck with that.
Ummm..... I'm not even sure what you are challenging?  The idea that, after her 2008 defeat,  the Clinton machine used coercion and threats to clear the field for 2016, with the result that the party was saddled with an incredibly weak candidate?  That is pretty well documented in the mainstream media.
 You're in dreamland.
Who the hell was a stronger candidate than Clinton? Sanders aside, since he apparently didn't get the message to clear the field. 

Who was coerced, and under what threats? 
What miracle Democrat was prevented from gracing us with their Presidency?
And if you're going to call Hillary an "incredibly" weak candidate, there's really no reason to take anything you say seriously on the subject of politics again. 

On paper, Hillary was probably one of the most qualified presidential candidates in modern times.

yahooyahoo said:

drummerboy said:

Klinker said:

drummerboy said:
 yeah. ok. you're wrong. You have no evidence, tons of projection and conjecture.
Good luck with that.
Ummm..... I'm not even sure what you are challenging?  The idea that, after her 2008 defeat,  the Clinton machine used coercion and threats to clear the field for 2016, with the result that the party was saddled with an incredibly weak candidate?  That is pretty well documented in the mainstream media.
 You're in dreamland.
Who the hell was a stronger candidate than Clinton? Sanders aside, since he apparently didn't get the message to clear the field. 

Who was coerced, and under what threats? 
What miracle Democrat was prevented from gracing us with their Presidency?
And if you're going to call Hillary an "incredibly" weak candidate, there's really no reason to take anything you say seriously on the subject of politics again. 
On paper, Hillary was probably one of the most qualified presidential candidates in modern times.

but but

EMAILBENGHAZI!!!!

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:
Jimmy Doe is not the buffoon or conspiracy nutter.  
 He pushed the Seth Rich conspiracy (as in, murder victim who worked for DNC was actually murdered because he leaked emails).
 He did not push the Seth Rich conspiracy.  He covered it in his program, because it was news.  Are people not allowed to cover a murder?  He talked about what happened and what some people said about it.  He does not claim that Seth Rich was killed on purpose because he had the DNC files.  That is false.

I actually suffered through that particular episode.  He did not merely "cover it in his program because it was news".  He comes off as entertaining the conspiracy theory as valid.

Lost, sorry - I thought some of the basics had previously been covered via Trump’s notorious phone calls and insults, ASEAN meetings and Nth Korea stuff. 

Turnbull is still our Prime Minister, the one he insulted in the phone call in his first week, and who he still keeps treating like dog poo. (Interesting since he’s an ex-Goldman Sachs banker, exceedingly multi-rich with money in the Caymans and a bloody smart lawyer) 

Dutton was our Home Affairs Ministers, a new super-ministry created for him that combines Immigration, Customs, federal police & border patrol, various snooping functions too secret to mention,  new citizenship functions being dreamt up weekly,  and some other bits of tradional Departments to make Australia a bit like a police state. He was responsible for passports, visas, asylum seekers, refugees, etc so offshore detention issues are his baby (well, his and Scott Morrison, our Treasurer who was Immigration before Dutton; both are nasty). Dutton is known for taking UK and NZ residents here for 20+ years who have many parking fines or used to be in a biker club and deporting them regardless of current life or need. He used to be a policeman. He looks like Mr Potato-head.

LNP is our ruling party: the Coalition - Liberal National Party, conservative (that’s the Liberals) and farmers (Nationals).

Paris Agreement - Paris Accord on climate change, which the ultra conservatives in the LNP want Turnbull to pull us out of. 

You also want to read up on the IPA, a thinktank which controls LNP policy and bankrolls most of the party’s efforts. Considering the strings nan sees being pulled for your political realities, and not including any of the IPA figures who include some of the richest and most invisible but influential people, well, yeah it’s the proverbial butterfly’s wings. 

we’ve just had two more Ministers resign, this morning. Turnbull isn’t accepting any of them at this stage, apart from Dutton’s, but it’s certainly showing us who voted against him. 

This means most of Cabinet is out, and nearly everyone is saying a federal election will be called by the end of this week. (If so, please pray for a change of government that won’t include a nutter far-right Party in coalition)

Had to Google "Spill the leadership". I learned something new. Thanks.

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:
 He pushed the Seth Rich conspiracy (as in, murder victim who worked for DNC was actually murdered because he leaked emails).
 He did not push the Seth Rich conspiracy.  He covered it in his program, because it was news.  Are people not allowed to cover a murder?  He talked about what happened and what some people said about it.  He does not claim that Seth Rich was killed on purpose because he had the DNC files.  That is false.
 I actually suffered through that particular episode.  He did not merely "cover it in his program because it was news".  He comes off as entertaining the conspiracy theory as valid.

Entertaining and endorsing are two different things.  He spoke about it a few times later and could not believe how much crap people gave him for just covering the news. He said he had no idea about the the validity of the theory.  

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:
 Entertaining and endorsing are two different things.  He spoke about it a few times later and could not believe how much crap people gave him for just covering the news. He said he had no idea about the the validity of the theory.  

He's obviously a great journalist.

sbenois said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Sad to say, in today's MSM, a mediocre stand up comedian is about the best journalist in the US.  They don't pay him enough to lie.

Sadder to say that you actually believe that.

LOST said:
Had to Google "Spill the leadership". I learned something new. Thanks.

Didn’t know you don’t use the term cheese

Lost, part of the reason why what’s happening here is important for you there is because next week there’s a big Forum on SE Asian relations, and Trump is meant to be present, reassuring everyone on US policies, trade agreements etc. I don’t think anyone has actually confirmed, in the last week or so, that he’s personally going to be there - it’s a massive snub if he’s not. 

Turnbull is meant to be there too, which is why the leadership challenge is a nightmare, and calling an election so early is horrible (he can’t leave the country having called an election, but he can’t not go to the Forum. A new leader can’t turn up, wouldn’t be sworn in yet, or handed-over)

sbenois said:

I'll take Jimmy Dore any day over Russiagate Rachel,  and she makes $30k a day.

I'm sure you would.    Be proud of it.

Always perceptive commentary, especially with regard to our politicians and their foibles.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/22/peter-dutton-almost-became-prime-minister-but-wait-it-could-still-happen

Dutton is the Brussel Sprout character (because it's-nasty-but-good-for-you); a glance through the comments gives a good overview of how most of us feel about this mess.

(Oh, Scott Morrison is often referred to as Morriscum, as we decry his support of large corporations but oppression of pensioners and penniless. Robodebt is a reference to social-security debt incurred through records stuff-up by computer where the debt might go back around 7-10 years but you're only just now notified and given 3 weeks to pay with interest. It's often grossly wrong or invalid but you have to prove this and most people don't have the records because they don't need to keep them)

nan said:

sbenois said:
 I'll take Jimmy Dore any day over Russiagate Rachel,  and she makes $30k a day.

Is that all? I think the folks on Seinfeld made more than that every episode before the first commercial.

joanne and those following her posts,

This is a pretty good explanation of the Australian political dysfunction:

"Move over Italy, Australia is now the world’s electoral basket case."

https://www.politico.eu/article/malcolm-turnbull-australia-game-of-thrones-is-still-on/

i see this thread is also polluted with petty bickering about who’s to blame and what’s wrong and ad nauseous.  

Neither Clinton nor Sanders is ever going to be president.  

Now this man, who I hope will destroy Ted Cruz in his election in November, sounds to me like someone i would be proud to have represent me as POTUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWmh-maevk

hoops said:
i see this thread is also polluted with petty bickering about who’s to blame and what’s wrong and ad nauseous.  

One can't control every comment on a thread. There is very little bickering on this one.

LOST said:

hoops said:
 One can't control every comment on a thread. There is very little bickering on this one.

sez you

Lost, I’m not sure how much you’ve followed while I was at work todayv(and you were sleeping) - I haven’t even had much of a chance to catch up with your politics - the proverbial really hit the fan today. Totally unprecedented in our history. 

Back in the ‘80s, Paul Keating made a famous remark about us heading towards being a ‘banana republic’ (which is what gave comic geniuses the idea for How Green Was My Cactus, now an online parody). Today, Australia descended into official Bananadom.

Basically, two of the PM’s three strongest supporters went to Dutton’s side. Then, within a few hours, one of them decided he’d challenge for leadership himself. Meanwhile, 10 Ministers in total this morning decided they couldn’t support Turnbull any more and resigned, with a couple threatening to quit the party. 

Turnbull decided he’d had enough, and cancelled Question Time for today (i.e. the rest of Parliament’s sitting day), and Parliament for the next two weeks. Tomorrow morning he expects to have a letter spelling out if Dutton is in fact eligible to sit in Parliament. When the Party meets in the morning, he also expects to have a signed letter from the others so he can call another Spill. If the motion is carried, he won’t stand!

That means we’ll have an election because they’ve lost majority (not enough Seats held by the coalition); probably the Opposition either blocking Supply or calling No-Confidence in the government (they’ve done this a couple of times already this week) - which the Governor General Can sack the new leader/PM, which again would plunge us into a federal election. 

Note: this isn’t a Constitutional crisis, it’s just appalling behaviour by a bunch of bullies acting like entitled schoolboys. 

A couple of articles you might find amusing:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/23/dutton-manifesto-fewer-immigrants-cheaper-power-and-brake-on-chinese

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2018/aug/23/peter-duttons-gst-plan-smells-of-political-desperation-and-policy-stupidity

Oh, and apparently Turnbull’s staunchest supporter, our Foreign Minister and deputy Leader of the LNP, Julie Bishop is also going to run for Leader if there’s a Spill... h’m. This country is not known to be kind to female PMs, and she is not popular with the conservatives in the Coalition. 

I’m sorry for going on and on. I’m returning to US politics now. 

Just read this item on the BBC website, and realised that Trump and Dutton both believe white South African farmers are being decimated and need desperately to be saved at all costs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45282088 

you know that emoji that’s crying-laughing, at a 45-degree angle? Me, falling off the couch just now! It’s almost midnight, D’s in bed asleep and I’m screaming with laughter!

Then there’s this:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/23/gutless-turnbull-or-evil-dutton-readers-react-to-a-liberal-party-civil-war 

Read the comment about how many ex-PM’s we’re supporting. *shudder* And how much it costs us to run Parliament per day. 

As one journalist pointed out, for every Minister that resigned, whether or not it was accepted, researchers and extra office staff (above basic backbencher level) just lost their jobs pretty much with little warning or consultation. We have a stack of important and urgent Reports and Enquiries that are being finalised, and some legislation to push through - basically now all abandoned and no longer funded. 

And yet again, indigenous Reconciliation is flung off the table as totally outrageous and unimportant. 

Another good summary: 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/23/it-doesnt-matter-whos-prime-minister-if-its-a-liberal-it-will-be-the-same

Thank you. Reading about your politics is like taking a vacation from ours.

Also I was amused to see that "chutzpah" has made it into the Australian lexicon.

nan said:

sbenois said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:
 Sad to say, in today's MSM, a mediocre stand up comedian is about the best journalist in the US.  They don't pay him enough to lie.

Talking about a "theory" is not "just covering the news."  It's like spreading a rumor but worse since he has a platform to reach a lot of people.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!