COVID-19

Tennis Court Regulations

It’s about time they did something about those damn pickleballers.

jamie said:

Tennis Court Regulations

Do these rules apply to private tennis courts also (like the one on Ridgewood Rd. near Jefferson Ave.?)

- Alex

What kind of conspiracy theories will it generate when we hit 100,000 deaths on Memorial Day?   

The places where the numbers are higher than expected may be linked to  assisted  living and nursing homes populations.

After seeing some of the pictures from around the country:

It’s a holiday weekend. The virus is obviously closed.

Everyone see this one from an Ozarks resort yesterday?

from Bob Roe:   I personally would think twice about going into a swimming pool where people also eat and drink while in the pool.   While the Covid virus is almost certainly not spread in chlorinated pool water, lots of other infections are.   I hope the chlorine levels are very high in this pool for the safety and health of the party people.  

RobertRoe said:

from Bob Roe:   I personally would think twice about going into a swimming pool where people also eat and drink while in the pool.   While the Covid virus is almost certainly not spread in chlorinated pool water, lots of other infections are.   I hope the chlorine levels are very high in this pool for the safety and health of the party people.  

Where are you on the open up schools discussion? You were a Health Officer and I was a teacher. I can't see how it works. Not at all in K - 5.

You'll never see as little traffic on the GSP on Memorial Day again. Of course, a lot of it has to do with the weather not being that great, in addition to COVID-19. 

https://www.njta.com/travel-resources/camera-list

This weekend on the Boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland.  No distancing, and very few masks.  People seem to have resumed their normal activity.  It's discouraging.

mrincredible said:

On WNYC this morning there was a story about how backlogged the cemeteries and crematorium in the city.  They reported a five week waiting period for cremation.

Hell. Why should I have to wait? I'm going to the crematorium now to get in line.

Heynj said:

Everyone see this one from an Ozarks resort yesterday?

--- and if ya see someone standing still in the pool, looking up at the sky, ya know what they are doing...... Oh. and if you see bubbles, run like hell.

RichardR said:

This weekend on the Boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland.  No distancing, and very few masks.  People seem to have resumed their normal activity.  It's discouraging.

“Amid COVID-19 people still came to Ocean City. A lot of homeowners and visitors helped with our virtual shopping event through the weekend and people were out on the Boardwalk strolling, taking in the fresh air, and practicing social distancing,” explained Michele Gillian, executive director of the Ocean City Regional Chamber of Commerce.

She continued, “I think it was a great weekend for Ocean City. Everyone took notice that Ocean City is a safe place to come with family so long as everyone adheres to wearing masks and standing six feet apart from strangers.”

"Ocean City Public Information Officer Doug Bergen said Mayor Jay Gillian wanted to reinforce the message of the importance of social distancing.

The mayor would like to remind everybody that the key to protecting everybody’s health and safety this summer will be in maintaining at least six feet of space between strangers and in wearing face coverings in any crowded or enclosed area, including the Boardwalk, public restrooms and takeout food lines,” Bergen said."

https://ocnjdaily.com/memorial-day-weekend-in-o-c-proves-nothing-can-stop-summer/

cramer said:

“Amid COVID-19 people still came to Ocean City. A lot of homeowners and visitors helped with our virtual shopping event through the weekend and people were out on the Boardwalk strolling, taking in the fresh air, and practicing social distancing,” explained Michele Gillian, executive director of the Ocean City Regional Chamber of Commerce.

She continued, “I think it was a great weekend for Ocean City. Everyone took notice that Ocean City is a safe place to come with family so long as everyone adheres to wearing masks and standing six feet apart from

Different Ocean City. Photos I see online from the boardwalk in Ocean City, N.J., look more like the one with that article. (Unless maybe that was the contrast — between the two O.C.s — you were drawing? Not that the faces in that N.J. photo are any comfort.)

DaveSchmidt said:

cramer said:

She continued, “I think it was a great weekend for Ocean City. Everyone took notice that Ocean City is a safe place to come with family so long as everyone adheres to wearing masks and standing six feet apart from

Different Ocean City. Photos I see online from the boardwalk in Ocean City, N.J., look more like the one with that article. (Unless maybe that was the contrast — between the two O.C.s — you were drawing? Not that the faces in that N.J. photo are any comfort.)

That shot was taken early in the morning, probably around 6:30 am. Here's a time lapse shot of the same spot on the boardwalk - look at  1:45 on the video. I'm not sure what time it is. And the weather wasn't that great yesterday. It's difficult to tell how many people are wearing masks. I don't know how social distancing is going to be enforced on the boardwalks, not just in Ocean City. 

eta - I'll pass on the boardwalks this summer - and I used to run on the Long Branch boardwalk everyday in the summer. (That was before I had both knees replaced.) I don't think it will stop the runners or walkers. Being out in the sun is a good defense, so there is that. 

cramer said:

That shot was taken early in the morning, probably around 6:30 am. Here's a time lapse shot of the same spot on the boardwalk - look at  1:45 on the video. I'm not sure what time it is. And the weather wasn't that great yesterday. It's difficult to tell how many people are wearing masks. I don't know how social distancing is going to be enforced on the boardwalks, not just in Ocean City. 

eta - I'll pass on the boardwalks this summer - and I used to run on the Long Branch boardwalk everyday in the summer. (That was before I had both knees replaced.) I don't think it will stop the runners or walkers. Being out in the sun is a good defense, so there is that. 

Well, that's it. The virus will bloom just in time to hit schools trying to open in September. Let's face it. Classroom attendance will be pretty thin this fall.

We're getting close to stage 2: https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/06/nj-outdoor-dining-stores-to-reopen-in-2-weeks-gyms-salons-next-in-stage-2-of-coronavirus-recovery-murphy-says.html

Outdoor dining and non-essential retail to open 6/15.  Personal Care Services like hair salons and barber shops - 6/22.

Is it possible to play racquetball and maintain social distancing rules?   LOL

I was in the City today, it feels like it's starting to wake up.  I was surprised at the amount of wood covering windows. Probably most notable in the 50s on 5th Avenue, but it's all over town.

That's probably to prevent looting when protestors get out of control.

WHO is now saying that asymptomatic spread of coronavirus, while it can happen, is "very rare."   

"Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

cramer said:

WHO is now saying that asymptomatic spread of coronavirus, while it can happen, is "very rare."   

Are these the same people that brought us "don't wear masks"?  tongue rolleye

berkeley said:

cramer said:

Are these the same people that brought us "don't wear masks"? 
tongue rolleye

Yup. 

Dr. Scott Gottlieb was on CNBC this morning downplaying WHO's claim. He pointed out that someone can be asymptomatic and still be tested positive with a nasal swab. 

The WHO finding almost seems too good to be true. It would change everything. It would be nice if it is true. 

cramer said:

berkeley said:

cramer said:

tongue rolleye

Yup. 

Dr. Scott Gottlieb was on CNBC this morning downplaying WHO's claim. He pointed out that someone can be asymptomatic and still be tested positive with a nasal swab. 

The WHO finding almost seems too good to be true. It would change everything. It would be nice if it is true. 

I'm in the hopeful but skeptical camp, but I'm not sure how the observation about an asymptomatic patient testing positive cuts against the WHO's statement.  By definition, someone who is asymptomatic has the disease.  They may have it but for whatever reason, not be able to transmit it easily unless and until they become symptomatic.

Guidelines for reopening community and municipal pools are being released today.  It'll be interesting to see how they work this. 

bub said:

cramer said:

berkeley said:

cramer said:

tongue rolleye

Yup. 

I'm in the hopeful but skeptical camp, but I'm not sure how the observation about an asymptomatic patient testing positive cuts against the WHO's statement.  By definition, someone who is asymptomatic has the disease.  They may have it but for whatever reason, not be able to transmit it easily unless and until they become symptomatic.

Here's the interview with Scott Gottlieb: (He did get a lot of criticism in the comments.)

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1270301738793349120

I hope it is the case.

cramer said:

Here's the interview with Scott Gottlieb: (He did get a lot of criticism in the comments.)

I hope it is the case.

I heard a clarification, if you can call it that. Asymptomatic, you have it but without symptoms, or asymptomatic you have it but are not showing symptoms yet. If I sorted it out correctly, the first case is mild so you may not transfer it easily, but the second one may become symptomatic so you may shed it more easily. I'm not quoting just deducing.

My solution, play it safe, wear a mask, social distance.

Morganna said:

cramer said:

I hope it is the case.

I heard a clarification, if you can call it that. Asymptomatic, you have it but without symptoms, or asymptomatic you have it but are not showing symptoms yet. If I sorted it out correctly, the first case is mild so you may not transfer it easily, but the second one may become symptomatic so you may shed it more easily. I'm not quoting just deducing.

My solution, play it safe, wear a mask, social distance.

Here's an article in Forbes that tries to explain it. A couple of doctors from the University of Toronto say it's a matter of semantics.  I'll continue wearing a mask, but my concern is that other people will take it as the go ahead not to wear masks and practice social distancing. Nothing changes my mind that I won't be doing much until there is a vaccine, because of my age. Others' mileage may differ.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/06/08/who-says-asymptomatic-spread-of-coronavirus-very-rare-but-experts-raise-questions/#79484f0c43d0

The WHO official that said asymptomatic  transmission is "very rare" has walked back her comments. It seems that Scott Gottlieb is correct. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/06/09/coronavirus-who-walks-back-comments-asymptomatic-spread/5325282002/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.