Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

ml1 said:

But the discussion during the game telecast was about whether or not Tatum touched the ball

Yeah, that part I got back into the TV room in time for.

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

But the discussion during the game telecast was about whether or not Tatum touched the ball

Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis if I'm remembering the voices correctly 

Break Up to Make Up

Didn’t I (Blow Your Mind This Time)

Ghetto Child

I’ll Be Around

I’m Stone in Love With You

La-La Means I Love You

Ready or Not Here I Come

Rubberband Man

You Are Everything

You Make Me Feel Brand New

Plus all the production touches for Gamble and Huff

Thank you, Thom Bell

https://www.inquirer.com/news/thom-bell-sound-of-philadelphia-dead-obituary-20221222.html

ml1 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis if I'm remembering the voices correctly 

Maybe not true, but I always loved John Madden's story of the call:

One of the officials said he had a good view of what happened and told Referee Fred Swearingen that the ball had gone off Fuqua. Therefore, under the old rule, the touchdown would be disallowed. Of course, Three Rivers was already bedlam and Swearingen was concerned about getting his crew off the field safely.

Swearingen gets on a phone and Madden believes he was speaking with the Three Rivers director of security and the conversation went as follows:

Swearingen: "We need to reverse the call, but we're gonna need at least 20 security guys to get my crew out of here."

Security Director: "Well, we can only give you six."

Swearingen: "Six??? SIX!!!! (throwing up his hands for the touchdown signal)."

DaveSchmidt said:

Break Up to Make Up

Didn’t I (Blow Your Mind This Time)

Ghetto Child

I’ll Be Around

I’m Stone in Love With You

La-La Means I Love You

Ready or Not Here I Come

Rubberband Man

You Are Everything

You Make Me Feel Brand New

Plus all the production touches for Gamble and Huff

Thank you, Thom Bell

https://www.inquirer.com/news/thom-bell-sound-of-philadelphia-dead-obituary-20221222.html

ml1 said:

with the 50th anniversary coming up, I was listening to hosts on ESPN radio discussing the Immaculate Reception. Funny thing was, with all of them too young to have seen the play in real time, they got the discussion of the controversy wrong. I still vividly remember watching that game, all the way until the end and I recall the complaints on the Oakland side. In 1972 it was not a legal forward pass if it hit another receiver and went directly to another without hitting a defender (either simultaneously or after). But the ESPN guys were going on and on about whether Franco caught the ball before it hit the ground, or trapped it. The real argument (to this day on the Raiders' side) is whether or not the ball hit Jack Tatum, or only Frenchy Fuqua. I looked at a pretty good quality video today, and I have little doubt, as I did then, that it was a legal catch and the officials got it right in real time without the help of video replay. (And then a few years later the rule was changed to allow a legal reception if two receivers in a row touched the ball).

Man, Harris was a great player.

If you click the link below, you can watch the video on YouTube:

I remember seeing it in real time and I was, and am, a Raider fan.   Sorry but it never touched Tatum.  Illegal catch.

I am still bitter.   For years, colleagues in Pittsburgh would take photos of the Harris statue in the airport there and send them to me whenever they took a business trip.   It drove me crazy.

Train_of_Thought said:

I'm throwing the flag. Saw the post and thought EJ passed away. 60 days in the cooler. 

(a) See user-friendly arrow.

(b) If that single/EP was anyone’s idea of an obit-worthy EJ image, parental guidance is suggested.

I have to side with Soul_XXIX here. Any picture of a celebrity that appears in the main page under this thread immediately flags that person as dead. This could easily have been someone posting “This was my first Elton John record I bought with my paper route money!!”

I second the motion to suspend. 

As you wish, but a friendly reminder: Your powers of suspension carry no weight in this thread.

(Mets fans, missing signs and bigfooting everywhere.)

I thought EJ had died as well, until I read the fine print. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Problem solved.

What do DaveSchmidt and Pete Rose have in common? 

LIFETIME SUSPENSION!

Fellas let’s not bring our baseball-related beef into this thread. It’s disrespectful. 

Soul_29 said:

What do DaveSchmidt and Pete Rose have in common?

A: It’s been years since either one has intentionally posted in a Mets thread.

mrincredible said:

Fellas let’s not bring our baseball-related beef into this thread. It’s disrespectful.

Smart move. There’s no problem that Gritty can’t solve.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Not unexpected for either but certainly with both now gone, it definitely feels that an era is closing:  I just can’t imagine either of them as their actual ages (more than 80 years), yet a world without them seems so bland. 

Pelé.    

And Vivienne Westwood. 

Another it seemed would live forever. 

galileo said:

Barbara Walters,93.

No doubt you’re hearing all about it now: former Pope Benedict XVI, aged 95 years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64107731

My favorite Barbara Walters story was from about 25 years ago. She was at the big ABC upfront party for advertisers. She was in a small group chatting and the then president of ABC Entertainment was complaining about how difficult one of the network's big stars was. He said "She called me a glib little bastard!"

To which Ms. Walters was reported to have replied "To which of those do you object?"  grin

joanne said:

No doubt you’re hearing all about it now: former Pope Benedict XVI, aged 95 years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64107731

Benedict ignored the sexual abuse by priests in Germany while he was Archbishop of Munich and when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He only started to act when he basically had no choice.  The BBC article whitewashes these facts.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/what-pope-benedict-knew-about-abuse-in-the-catholic-church

Singer Anita Pointer, one of the four Pointer Sisters, has died.  She was 74.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/01/1146506030/anita-pointer-pointer-sisters-has-died

So no one thinks Pelé is a celebrity? Possibly the greatest soccer player in the world, Brazil is in mourning. 

joanne said:

Not unexpected for either but certainly with both now gone, it definitely feels that an era is closing: I just can’t imagine either of them as their actual ages (more than 80 years), yet a world without them seems so bland.

Pelé.

And Vivienne Westwood.

Two of several good reasons to replace the Gritty photo, but I ain’t risking the evil eye myself.

DaveSchmidt said:

joanne said:

Not unexpected for either but certainly with both now gone, it definitely feels that an era is closing: I just can’t imagine either of them as their actual ages (more than 80 years), yet a world without them seems so bland.

Pelé.

And Vivienne Westwood.

Two of several good reasons to replace the Gritty photo, but I ain’t risking the evil eye myself.

I’ve just read that drummer Fred White has died, only a year older than me. 
I loved Earth, Wind and Fire. I’m heartbroken at how many wonderful entertainers we’re losing.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/02/earth-wind-fire-drummer-fred-white-dies-aged-67

Along the Pilbara coastal region you’ll find the Ningaloo lighthouse in an area called Exmouth. For years a lone sheep with a massive fleece hung out on the cliffs and rocky dunes, magnificently free and majestic. Variously known as Shaun, Rocky and Shrek, and as much a tourist attraction as the lighthouse, he died of natural causes on NYE

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-04/exmouth-king-of-ningaloo-lighthouse-shaun-the-sheep-dies/101824788

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.