Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

joanne said:

I’m really sad. Glenn Wheatley, bass guitar with Master’s Apprentices and so much more to the music industry, has died of covid complications. Only 74years. 

Alas, the only Masters Apprentices song I know is Wars or Hands of Time, which predated Wheatley. It remains a highlight, however, from my cherished Nuggets II boxed set.

Time to swallow my pride and ask, Who is the guy on the previous page, asking Betty White what to have for dinner?

And let's not forget director Ivan Reitman from a few days ago, 75.

A lot of funny movies from that man.

I guess we’re getting to the point where iconic figures from the 80s will be passing more frequently. 

Bernie Madoff's sister and her husband... murder suicide.

Betty Davis, Queen of Funk

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/betty-davis-dead-obit-1297372/

Betty Davis, the cult funk singer and ex-wife of jazz legend Miles Davis who left an underappreciated yet trailblazing body of work, died Wednesday at the age of 77. Danielle Maggio, a close friend of Davis whose research as an ethnomusicologist focused on Davis’ work, confirmed the singer’s death to Rolling Stone.

"Paul Farmer, a physician, anthropologist, and humanitarian who gained global acclaim for his work delivering high-quality health care to some of the world's poorest people, died on Monday on the grounds of a hospital and university he had helped establish in Butaro, Rwanda. He was 62." 

https://nyti.ms/36wlQqX

RIP Mark Lanegan, lead singer of Screaming Trees and with many solo and collaboration projects ever since, died in Ireland at 57. Dayum.

Gary Brooker - "turned a whiter shade of pale."

rhw said:

damn, saw the name but didn't make the connection.

RIP

ridski said:

RIP Mark Lanegan, lead singer of Screaming Trees and with many solo and collaboration projects ever since, died in Ireland at 57. Dayum.

The nerdiest introduction to Screaming Trees: I sent away for a free cassette of new releases -- advertised on a cereal box, maybe? -- and Bed of Roses (along with Toad the Wet Sprocket's Walk on the Ocean) was a standout. Within a year, Nearly Lost You grabbed me while I was watching Singles, so I picked up Sweet Oblivion and loved it. Dust is even better. 

I had always meant to investigate Lanegan's solo work but never got around to it. "Many" didn't prepare me for the list on Allmusic.com; it's much more prolific than I realized.

rhw said:

From George Harrison's liner notes to the 30th anniversary re-release of All Things Must Pass: "It goes without saying that it has always been a pleasure to have my old friend Ringo playing drums, and although he probably can’t remember, he did play on a good fifty or sixty percent of the album along with Klaus on bass, Billy Preston on piano and a few new friends I was in the process of making: Gary Wright and Gary Brooker."

Brooker's vocals were riveting. Right up there with Greg Lake's, from that era, for carrying a song through even the most elaborate (or starkest: A Salty Dog) arrangements. 

DaveSchmidt said:

The nerdiest introduction to Screaming Trees: I sent away for a free cassette of new releases -- advertised on a cereal box, maybe? -- and Bed of Roses (along with Toad the Wet Sprocket's Walk on the Ocean) was a standout. Within a year, Nearly Lost You grabbed me while I was watching Singles, so I picked up Sweet Oblivion and loved it. Dust is even better. 

I had always meant to investigate Lanegan's solo work but never got around to it. "Many" didn't prepare me for the list on Allmusic.com; it's much more prolific than I realized.

I Nearly Lost You has been a go-to karaoke warm-up for me for the last few years. He was one of those guys I could listen to sing the phone book. I've had an alternatives playlist on my Spotify rotation for years and there's always something featuring Lanegan on there. Right now I have these two:

Thank you for those. The Gravedigger’s Song reminded me of the naked gravity that Lanegan gave songs in waltz time.

Sad about the Brooker death. PH was the classiest and least silly of the "classical"/art rock bands of that era.  Never saw them but heard that Brooker could really belt out songs with soul.

Gary was part of Paul Winter's Winter Solstice celebration a few years ago - nice performances!

Here's a few songs from it:

Oscar nominee Sally Kellerman, almost-universally known as Major Houlihan from M*A*S*H, gone at age of 84.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-25/sally-kellerman-major-houlihan-mash-dies-aged-84/100861080

marksierra said:

Oscar nominee Sally Kellerman, almost-universally known as Major Houlihan from M*A*S*H, gone at age of 84.

She got my attention in the almost universally forgotten (alas) Slither.

DaveSchmidt said:

marksierra said:

She got my attention in the almost universally forgotten (alas) Slither.

Hot Lips!

The second man to break the 4-minute mile, Olympian John Landy, has died aged 91 years. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Landy

Even now Landy is remembered for looking back mid-race in the 1956 Olympics mile race to check on fellow-Aussie Ron Clarke, helping him from a stumble. Landy managed to make up the lost time for the final two laps and still won the race. 
Ron Clarke went on in later life to become Lord Mayor of Melbourne, and of the City of Gold Coast. After his daughter Monique died of cancer he endowed a volunteer community transport system called Monique’s Bus for cancer patients; it still is in heavy use and staffed by volunteers. Each day, many families bless the memories of the Clarke family. 

John Landy served as Governor of the State of Victoria 2001-2006. An amazingly generous and community-minded man, may his memory be a blessing. 

Roller derby legend ‘Barrelhouse Bessy’ has died, aged 42. Bessy, from Texas, immigrated to Australia and helped to establish roller derby as a sport here. 
Sarah Strong-Law, known as Barrelhouse Bessy, died in a road crash. She will be hugely missed. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-28/tributes-for-adelaide-roller-derby-founder-sarah-strong-law/100868468

This was a book I really enjoyed about John Landy, Roger Bannister and Wes Santee, an Australian, an Englishman and an American, their background and the breathtaking anticipation when they knew that one of them was going to break four minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Mile-Athletes-Minutes-Achieve/dp/0618562095

Yet another Olympian, this time cycling great Dean Woods, only 55 years who died of cancer. 
You might remember the 1984 Olympics in which Dean and colleagues upset the US team to win gold in the team pursuit…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-04/cycling-star-dean-woods-dies/100880664

Way too many good people, way too early. 
Now I’m wondering - maybe it IS the very beginning of the ‘end times’ and I’m too thick to know??

I remember seeing William Hurt walking the streets of Maplewood Village in 1998. The movie One True Thing was partially filmed here and it was fun to watch. Liked seeing Meryl S. and Renee Z. also. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.