2+2=5

basil said:

Can we get this discussion over with already? 2+2=4, the earth is round, etc.

the earth is spherical

sprout said:

The image James Lindsay selected with his junk closer to front-and-center than his face (and previously followed by the text "swings a big saber") was not accidentally selected, nor accidentally cropped. And his posting style is not to encourage discussion, but more to upset or shock "Woke" readers, and then declare "just look how massively authentic I am!"

Generally people who flash do so because they find it arousing. Some people have a conscious desire to upset or shock the stranger, while others may fantasize that the stranger will become sexually aroused by their display.

So, that seems to fit his game.

I don't usually quote myself, but James Lindsay is so simply predictable that he did, in fact, just update his profile text to imply he's... "massive".   

dave said:

Tune in next week when terp solves the mystery of Stone Henge!

sprout said:

sprout said:

The image James Lindsay selected with his junk closer to front-and-center than his face (and previously followed by the text "swings a big saber") was not accidentally selected, nor accidentally cropped. And his posting style is not to encourage discussion, but more to upset or shock "Woke" readers, and then declare "just look how massively authentic I am!"

Generally people who flash do so because they find it arousing. Some people have a conscious desire to upset or shock the stranger, while others may fantasize that the stranger will become sexually aroused by their display.

I don't usually quote myself, but James Lindsay is so simply predictable that he did, in fact, just update his profile text to imply he's... "massive".   

His profile usually is a reaction to what others are saying about him at the time.

ridski said:

dave said:

Tune in next week when terp turns the mystery of Stone Henge into some ******** about the gays.

Fixed that for you.

There is exactly one person that tried to make this thread about trans people and it wasn't me.

jamie said:

2 + 2 = 10 (base 4)

THAT’S NOT NORMAL!!!

terp said:

sprout said:

sprout said:

His profile usually is a reaction to what others are saying about him at the time.

OK. So... what is out there in the twitterverse that makes his "reaction profile" about having a "massive... [penis]" make common sense?

jamie said:

2 + 2 = 10 (base 4)

Now do base 3.  It goes all the way to 11.

What Is Math?

(Smithsonian Magazine)

It all started with an innocuous @gracie.ham/video/6864198263063448837?referer_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcentennialbeauty.com%2Ftiktok-is-math-real-gracie-cunningham%2F&referer_video_id=6864198263063448837" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">TikTok video posted by a high school student named Gracie Cunningham. Applying make-up while speaking into the camera, the teenager questioned whether math is “real.” She added: “I know it’s real, because we all learn it in school... but who came up with this concept?” Pythagoras, she muses, “didn’t even have plumbing—and he was like, ‘Let me worry about y = mx + b’”—referring to the equation describing a straight line on a two-dimensional plane. She wondered where it all came from. “I get addition,” she said, “but how would you come up with the concept of algebra? What would you need it for?” Someone re-posted the video to Twitter, where it soon went viral. Many of the comments were unkind: One person said it was the “dumbest video” they had ever seen; others suggested it was indicative of a failed education system. Others, meanwhile, came to Cunningham’s defense, saying that her questions were actually rather profound

And one excerpt closer to this thread's title:

Rovelli goes further, calling into question the universality of the natural numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4... To most of us, and certainly to a Platonist, the natural numbers seem, well, natural. Were we to meet those intelligent aliens, they would know exactly what we meant when we said that 2 + 2 = 4 (once the statement was translated into their language). Not so fast, says Rovelli. Counting “only exists where you have stones, trees, people—individual, countable things,” he says. “Why should that be any more fundamental than, say, the mathematics of fluids?” If intelligent creatures were found living within, say, the clouds of Jupiter’s atmosphere, they might have no intuition at all for counting, or for the natural numbers, Rovelli says. Presumably we could teach them about natural numbers—just like we could teach them the rules of chess—but if Rovelli is right, it suggests this branch of mathematics is not as universal as the Platonists imagine.

I tied to copy a scene from VEEP where a candidate Jonah leads an audience in chanting "No More Math".

Had technical problem but anyone can look for it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.