2+2=5

We've reached the character assasination phase.  He must be pretty solid if that is all nohero could find.  What? No unpaid parking tickets?

terp said:

We've reached the character assasination phase.  He must be pretty solid if that is all nohero could find.  What? No unpaid parking tickets?

It wasn't "all Nohero could find".  If you look at his whole tweet, notice that he tweeted that at around 10:45 last night - shortly before I saw it and posted it, and coincidentally while he was being discussed on this thread.  So that's a very recent tweet.

By the way, if you *do* look at his feed on the Twitter now, you'll see him parrying criticism over the tweet you decided to share as the OP.  His tweets speak for themselves, no "character assassination" necessary.

I wasn't even looking for his account on the Twitter, but a writer I do follow had shared that tweet last evening. Since I was also reading this thread, that's why I posted Mr. Linday's self-description.

I think his whole #wokeminis series is pretty lame and not well-written.  Some seem to be satirizing the viewpoint of the "woke", but others are just sarcastic comments about them.  There's no unifying voice.  Maybe his fan base isn't that demanding, just so long as he's insulting the "woke".

The image James Lindsay selected with his junk closer to front-and-center than his face (and previously followed by the text "swings a big saber") was not accidentally selected, nor accidentally cropped. And his posting style is not to encourage discussion, but more to upset or shock "Woke" readers, and then declare "just look how massively authentic I am!"

Generally people who flash do so because they find it arousing. Some people have a conscious desire to upset or shock the stranger, while others may fantasize that the stranger will become sexually aroused by their display.

So, that seems to fit his game.

To make a point, Orwell pit 2 + 2 = 5 against 2 + 2 = 4. Those were the choices under the Party. Common sense tells me we don’t live in that world; we have the freedom to consider and embrace alternatives in addition to truisms, and when someone like James Lindsay announces that 2 and 2 make 4 “and you would have to believe it” (as Orwell put it), common sense encourages me to bridle.

Which draws my attention to what Orwell also wrote about the Party in that section of “1984”:

“The heresy of heresies was common sense.”

The point was that 2+2 is whatever the party says it is.  Sometimes it's 4.  Sometimes it's 5.  And sometimes it's 3. 

The point the intellectual titans were trying to make on Twitter and most people here were attempting to make is exactly the same one that Orwells party was trying to make.  There is no objective truth.  

You have to be mentally challenged or have your head completely up your *** if you think that common sense says 2+2 isn't always equal to 4.  What color is the sky in your world?

dave said:

This thread.

You're right. I should get paid for this.

terp said:

The point was that 2+2 is whatever the party says it is.  Sometimes it's 4.  Sometimes it's 5.  And sometimes it's 3. 

The point the intellectual titans were trying to make on Twitter and most people here were attempting to make is exactly the same one that Orwells party was trying to make.  There is no objective truth.  

You have to be mentally challenged or have your head completely up your *** if you think that common sense says 2+2 isn't always equal to 4.  What color is the sky in your world?

it seems this is another chance to ask the question that I don't think you've answered. Is it your contention that 2+2 ALWAYS equals 4, in every context, under all conditions?

I think I've been pretty clear.  If you would like to provide an example where you are actually adding 2+2 and you get something other than 4, please provide an example.  

terp said:

I think I've been pretty clear.  If you would like to provide an example where you are actually adding 2+2 and you get something other than 4, please provide an example.  

A variation on what I and others have written on this thread - when you write "actually adding 2+2" you intend to mean, "in arithmetic involving whole numbers, like I learned in elementary school".

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's silly to write this -

terp said:

- when, in fact, there are many ways to "do" mathematics which are not "arithmetic involving whole numbers, like I learned in elementary school".

nohero said:

- when, in fact, there are many ways to "do" mathematics which are not "arithmetic involving whole numbers, like I learned in elementary school".

^this

terp said:

Does this mean you aren't going to answer the question? Because from everything you've written here it would seem to me that your answer should be an unequivocal "yes" -- 2+2 always equals 4.  Under all circumstances. Why can't you say that?

Show me an example where you add 2+2 and you don't get 4.  For the last time, you cannot without changing meanings, values, or adding other parameters.  There is a reason for that.  It's because 2+2=4

ml1 said:

nohero said:

^this

Go ask 1,000,000 eople at random what 2+2 is. 1,000,000 people with reply 4.  That is literally the meaning of common sense.

terp said:

What color is the sky in your world?

Oh, terp, terp, terp. If God is not a Tar Heel, why is the sky Carolina blue?

DaveSchmidt said:

terp said:

Oh, terp, terp, terp. If God is not a Tar Heel, why is the sky Carolina blue?

Ha.  That is a really good answer.

terp said:

dave said:

This thread.

No you shouldn't.

dave said:

terp said:

dave said:

This thread.

No you shouldn't.

He's arguing on his free time?

In order for 2+2 to always equal 4 is to say that it has been tested infinitely and there is no way to perform that test.  We postulate that 2+2 = 4 because it is useful to have constants to work with when dealing in the abstract or we would be stuck at going back to Russell and Whitehead proving that 1+1 = 2 before starting any new addition problem (and they too used assumptions that are not proven to work infinitely and always).  A quantum particle has the ability to exist and not exist at the same time.    Newton's physics are practical for baseball, but only when the baseball is of regulation size and the pitcher is not throwing brush-backs at the speed of light.

terp said:

dave said:

This thread.

Are you kidding me?

terp said:

Show me an example where you add 2+2 and you don't get 4.  For the last time, you cannot without changing meanings, values, or adding other parameters.  There is a reason for that.  It's because 2+2=4

Jeebus. You still haven't answered a very simple direct question.   

Mr. Ml1, I think your answer is in this earlier post -

terp said:

ml1 said:

nohero said:

^this

Go ask 1,000,000 eople at random what 2+2 is. 1,000,000 people with reply 4.  That is literally the meaning of common sense.

And FYI this stand has almost religious significance for libertarians.  The principle is at the heart of John Galt's long talk in the "This Is John Galt Speaking" chapter of "Atlas Shrugged" -

Some of you will never know who is John Galt. But those of you who have known a single moment of love for existence and of pride in being its worthy lover, a moment of looking at this earth and letting your glance be its sanction, have known the state of being a man, and I —I am only the man who knew that that state is not to be betrayed. I am the man who knew what made it possible and who chose consistently to practice and to be what you had practiced and been in that one moment.

That choice is yours to make. That choice—the dedication to one's highest potential—is made by accepting the fact that the noblest act you have ever performed is the act of your mind in the process of grasping that two and two make four.  

terp said:

I've had to answer this dumb question so many times. But yeah, it's mostly violet mate, soz.

There are many exception cases: At sunset and nighttime and cloudy days, etc., the sky is not blue. 

Ah.... nevermind.

sprout said:

There are many exception cases: At sunset and nighttime and cloudy days, etc., the sky is not blue. 

Ah.... nevermind.

Look, I'm not kidding, it's ******* violet.

https://science.discoveryplace.org/blog/ever-wonder-why-some-animals-see-a-purple-sky

If someone's gonna come on here and yell 2+2=4 at us I sure hope they know what color the sky actually is.

ridski said:

sprout said:

Ah.... nevermind.

Look, I'm not kidding, it's ******* violet.

https://science.discoveryplace.org/blog/ever-wonder-why-some-animals-see-a-purple-sky

If someone's gonna come on here and yell 2+2=4 at us I sure hope they know what color the sky actually is.

that's very dishonest and Orwellian of you to give us scientific mumbo jumbo like that.

Can we get this discussion over with already? 2+2=4, the earth is round, etc.

basil said:

Can we get this discussion over with already? 2+2=4, the earth is round, etc.

If only it weren’t so hard to read only the threads and engage only the comments you wanted to.

Tune in next week when terp solves the mystery of Stone Henge!

dave said:

Tune in next week when terp turns the mystery of Stone Henge into some ******** about the gays.

Fixed that for you.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.