2+2=5

terp said:

Ok.  Now you're trying to tell me wht I typed.  I stated that there was an argument happening on twitter.  Which there was.  Lindsay did not challenge anyone.  People saw his meme and tried to refute by trying to change the meaning of known terms.

What do you think the "point" of his meme was?  Knowing that gives you some context for the responses. 

terp said:

Boy your persistent, and I can't believe I need to point this out, but the common use of the notation assumes integers in a base 10 system and does not assume modular mathematics.  Any reasonable person will make these assumptions unless the notation is different or a varying assumption was noted.

Anyone claiming otherwise is probably trying to win an argument on the Internet. If you want truth Weinstein says it here:

So one team yells “What about the assumptions!!” but is really saying “I don’t want folks I dislike telling me that things have to be some particular way in an objective reality!” Yet ultimately that will lead to the Principle of Explosion & the loss of the “Unity of Knowledge”.

That's your assumption, and that's the context that you say applies.  That's why context matters.

Also, not for nothing, but Weinstein knows that "the Principle of Explosion" is irrelevant to this.  In the silly discussion on the Twitter "2+2=4" and "2+2=5" are not presented as "contradictory axioms", which is the starting point for a "principle of explosion" example.

Also, he knows that "2+2=4" isn't an axiom at all, it's a theorem. 

ridski said:

I literally have no idea why terp posted this in the politics forum. No idea at all.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/transgender-propaganda-is-medias-way-of-making-you-believe-2-plus-2-equals-5

it's in the OP. If you can come up with an example where 2+2=5, it means you are a wokester SJW. 

Sheesh, isn't it obvious?

sprout said:

PVW said:

Who would look at a statement like "some people are arguing that 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4" and not assume there must be some extra context -- units, or rounding, or some other missing piece of information, involved? And who would post such a thing and then get upset when people assume there must be some missing context and try to fill in some reasonable guesses as to what that context might be?

Terp?

Who would see a post that shows people disagreeing with a simple truth by using dishonest tactics(not actually adding 2+2) and have person ask you  to tell him you don't buy into that nonsense, and then run down that same insane path?

terp said:

Who would see a post that shows people disagreeing with a simple truth by using dishonest tactics(not actually adding 2+2) and have person ask you  to tell him you don't buy into that nonsense, and then run down that same insane path?

I wish I knew in HS that applying significant figures was dishonest. I would have had a devastating rebuttal to my physics teacher who kept taking points off my proofs for not correctly using significant figures. 

terp said:
Who would see a post that shows people disagreeing with a simple truth by using dishonest tactics(not actually adding 2+2) and have person ask you to tell him you don't buy into that nonsense, and then run down that same insane path?

The use of Excel software and of vector mathematics are what you consider "dishonest tactics"? 

Nice projection, but it only makes it more apparent how resistant you are to considering legitimate counterpoints/alternative points of view.

The world will progress without you.

There is actually something creepy and authoritarian about the insistence that 2+2 must always, under any circumstances and in any context equal 4. 

The thing is, you're not adding 2 + 2 in those examples.  What an indictment on your High School.

terp said:

The thing is, you're not adding 2 + 2 in those examples.  What an indictment on your High School.

Once again, the vector calculator example was with adding magnitudes of 2.0+2.0.

You can try it for yourself here: http://www.1728.org/vectors.htm

ridski
said:

I literally have no idea why terp posted this in the politics forum. No idea at all.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/transgender-propaganda-is-medias-way-of-making-you-believe-2-plus-2-equals-5

How did you know? I read that article and ran right over here.  And that's only the beginning.   It was all part of a vast right wing conspiracy. 

terp said:

sprout said:

PVW said:

Who would look at a statement like "some people are arguing that 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4" and not assume there must be some extra context -- units, or rounding, or some other missing piece of information, involved? And who would post such a thing and then get upset when people assume there must be some missing context and try to fill in some reasonable guesses as to what that context might be?

Terp?

Well if someone said to me "terp is saying that 2 + 2 != 4" I'd have two choices -- I could decide that you are an idiot who doesn't know basic math, or that there's some kind of trick or context or something. I don't believe you to be an idiot who doesn't know basic math, so the only reasonable conclusion would be the second one.

Now if after concluding that I ran to my local message board and said "Hey! Terp is going around saying that 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4", that'd be rather curious. I mean, either I'd be hoping people would conclude you were an idiot or, um, I guess hoping they'd help me guess what the trick was? But if, when people tried to come up with reasonable ways 2 + 2 didn't come out to 4 I huffed and got out of sorts.. hmm, you are right. That would be a lot of nonsense. I certainly wouldn't want to be a part of that. And I don't. And so, exuent thread.

They're not reasonable they are painstakingly stupid.  I can only imagine what the reaction would have been if Trump said "You know sometimes 2+2 doesn't equal 4.  I've talked to the best people about this.  I've even seen it in Excel.  Sometimes it's 5.  You'll only hear that here.  Nobody will print it."  I'm sure you all would be jumping through hoops adding two numbers together that aren't really 2.

terp said:

my HS physics teacher was NJ teacher of the year. 

The issue at hand is that you are refusing to accept a mathematical concept. 

terp said:

ridski
said:

https://www.lifementsitenews.com/opinion/transgender-propaganda-is-medias-way-of-making-you-believe-2-plus-2-equals-5

How did you know? I read that article and ran right over here.  And that's only the beginning.   It was all part of a vast right wing conspiracy. 

The article is relevant because that argument (relating "transgender propaganda" to "2+2=5") is the reason for the whole thread on the Twitter which Mr. terp says he stumbled upon (independent of the transgender issue), leading to this thread.

So, even if unaware of it before, now one is aware of *why* all the posts went up exploring the idea of how "2+2" could equal something other than "4".

It seems that the argument against that idea, that it could be anything other than "4", boils down to: "When you look at it the normal way, my view is correct.  That's what I was taught in school and I don't know why anyone would look at it any other way."

Which happens to be the argument against transgender people asserting their rights, also.  Which could explain why all those folks on the Twitter are demonstrating that there are other ways at looking at what you may think is "the only normal way".

ml1 said:

terp said:

my HS physics teacher was NJ teacher of the year. 

The issue at hand is that you are refusing to accept a mathematical concept. 

I'm not refusing to accept a concept.  I just don't think that rounding numbers is adding 2+2.

nohero said:

terp said:

ridski
said:

https://www.lifementsitenews.com/opinion/transgender-propaganda-is-medias-way-of-making-you-believe-2-plus-2-equals-5

The article is relevant because that argument (relating "transgender propaganda" to "2+2=5") is the reason for the whole thread on the Twitter which Mr. terp says he stumbled upon (independent of the transgender issue), leading to this thread.

So, even if unaware of it before, now one is aware of *why* all the posts went up exploring the idea of how "2+2" could equal something other than "4".

It seems that the argument against that idea, that it could be anything other than "4", boils down to: "When you look at it the normal way, my view is correct.  That's what I was taught in school and I don't know why anyone would look at it any other way."

Which happens to be the argument against transgender people asserting their rights, also.  Which could explain why all those folks on the Twitter are demonstrating that there are other ways at looking at what you may think is "the only normal way".

Where is the link from that article referenced on that Twitter thread?

terp said:

Where is the link from that article referenced on that Twitter thread?

I wrote that the article (or an argument similar to the one that's in the article) is why "2+2=5" was being discussed.  It's even in the title of a new book -

2+2=5: How The Transgender Craze is Redefining Reality

I didn't make any assumption that you were aware of that at the time you started this thread.  But, because of this thread, now you know.

And you know that was Lindsay's inspiration exactly how?

terp said:

I'm not refusing to accept a concept.  I just don't think that rounding numbers is adding 2+2.

I can't even. 

terp said:

The #wokeminis guy?  I don't know what his inspiration is, beyond his thinking that the things he posts are amusing.  

But your initial post also had a whole screenshot of tweets about different answers to "2+2", which had been posted by someone who didn't seem curious about *why* that discussion was taking place.

Then stop. 2+2=4.  If you add 2.4 and 2.4 you get 4.8.  If you then round it up, you get 5.  Why is there that extra step?  Because 4.8 does not equal 5.   Even though you don't see it on the screen, that is exactly what is happening behind the scenes in excel.  When you look at the cell and it says 5, that is the view.  The value stored at that location(the model) is in fact 4.8.

nohero said:

terp said:

The #wokeminis guy?  I don't know what his inspiration is, beyond his thinking that the things he posts are amusing.  

But your initial post also had a whole screenshot of tweets about different answers to "2+2", which had been posted by someone who didn't seem curious about *why* that discussion was taking place.

What does that have to do with the book you referenced?

terp said:

What does that have to do with the book you referenced?

I'm either being trolled, or Mr. Terp genuinely isn't going to grasp the point.  Either way, I'm done.

terp said:

And since you don't understand vector addition, even though it's NOT rounding, it's not something you're willing to consider either.

You're looking very resistant to learning, you are.

Thanks sprout.  Never before have I thought about the direction when adding 2+2 :-|

terp said:

Thanks sprout.  Never before have I thought about the direction when adding 2+2 :-|

Very one-dimensional thinking on your part.

terp said:

I just spotted his manifesto or whatever he'd call it.  I can see his appeal for you.

nohero said:

I just spotted his manifesto or whatever he'd call it.  I can see his appeal for you.

seems like a pretty smug prick. 

Yep... and along those lines, nice photo of himself manspreading with his long tie 'accentuation' in his profile pic. It looks like his 'authentic' self wanted to go with an open trenchcoat pic, but didn't want to be banned from twitter. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.