Dispatches from Hong Kong

Thank you, Joanne.  Was treated to an amazing sunrise this morning as I enjoyed my favourite Columbian coffee.  

Happy Birthday - funny Dall-E has a really hard time including Happy Birthday Dave!  Looks like AI has a ways to go.

Dear Dave = Hope you received my card.  See you on Zoom.  

Love,Mom

Dave, 

I hope you're doing well and had a great birthday. How old are you now? 

Are you one? Are you two? Are you three? Are you four? 

Mr T

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Dave, 

I hope you're doing well and had a great birthday. How old are you now? 

Are you one? Are you two? Are you three? Are you four? 

Mr T

Thankey.  And if you multiply those numbers a few times you'll probably come close.   

jamie said:

Happy Birthday - funny Dall-E has a really hard time including Happy Birthday Dave!  Looks like AI has a ways to go.

doy!

I’m terrified of living in a building like this. Honestly.

I could post buildings in the US that would terrify me to live in.  Not sure what the point would be.

dave said:

I could post buildings in the US that would terrify me to live in.  Not sure what the point would be.

It’s the sheer size of the building. The amount of people crammed into a single building is my worst nightmare. Has nothing to do with Hong Kong specifically, I get feeds of buildings around the world and thought it might be useful to show the other side of Hong Kong. I don’t see so many massive residential buildings here. We have projects yes, but there’s space between them. I’m thinking there are literally hundreds of people in that building, maybe thousands, some sharing a single room. 

First, if you think that's massive, you haven't seen massive.  Second, I'm sure if offered the opportunity of a trailer park in the US with no health care, daily mass shootings, and lousy public transit they'd opt for that life, huh?

dave said:

that looks like Hong Kong too. I wouldn’t be able to live in that either. 

There used to be a super-dense portion of Hong Kong called Kowloon Walled City, right?

PVW said:

There used to be a super-dense portion of Hong Kong called Kowloon Walled City, right?

Yes, it was the only part of the territory of Hong Kong not ceded to British imperialistic rule.  It is now known as Kowloon Walled City Park. Before demolition parts were used as a setting in the movie Crime Story.

Also the Kowloon Walled City's history goes back as far as the Song Dynasty, when it was a garrison to protect the salt trade. 

Didn’t Bruce Lee die in Kowloon?

He made his best films in Hong Kong, beautiful place. 

Yes, but much later than the Song Dynasty.

dave said:

First, if you think that's massive, you haven't seen massive.  Second, I'm sure if offered the opportunity of a trailer park in the US with no health care, daily mass shootings, and lousy public transit they'd opt for that life, huh?

The apartment building developments in mainland China are shockingly large.  Imagine a 30 or 40-story apartment building that is just one of 20 or 30 buildings in a single development. 

It's very easy to see why their real estate market has crashed finally. 

Projections of population growth turned out to be wrong, but speculation continued.

So bright, and clean. 

Jaytee said:

So bright, and clean. 

"Bright" is right. You'd probably need sunglasses there at night. 

The old neons are fewer, but can remain if conforming to building codes.

My photo of same road as above from opposite direction.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.