Popular Comments

joanne
Discussion: Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Devastated to read of the death of the painter and writer of Babar, the elephant king books. Laurent de Brunhoff, 98 years, died at home in Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/24/laurent-de-brunhoff-author-of-babar-childrens-books-dies-at-98
Babar was created by his father Jean, and Laurent decided to continue and expand the immersive children’s series. Yet it never seemed merely a child’s picture book with a brief story - instead, each book could capture your imagination and lead you into a colourful world with magical playful animals, luxurious plants scenting the air, and wonder on every page. 
Very glad for both Jean and Laurent, and their beautiful creations. Children’s librarians around the world will treasure Babar the Elephant King, and comfort him and his fans. 

Like  6 Likes
max_weisenfeld
Discussion: April weather forecast

To be perfectly clear, being right 50% of the time is essentially random guessing

Like  5 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: How To Park Like a Tool

soda said:

-s.

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by...

Like  4 Likes
jimmurphy
Discussion: The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

3rd QB in a row today! Pangram was last word and a doozy.

Like  3 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: Inconsequential Chat

Yes, yes. I know.

We're told from childhood that we shouldn't play with our food.

However, (not) in that vein, may I present Sausage Henge!

Like  3 Likes
bub
Discussion: Has anyone been to the Paradox Museum, American Mall, East Rutherford?

We happen to be going to the mall today (I've never been there before) and had my eye on the museum.  If we go, I'll report.

Like  2 Likes
KarenMarlowe
Discussion: The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

KarenMarlowe said:

alha said:

jimmurphy said:

Just got QB. One really dumb word that I guessed into that I think has appeared before.

nice!
snake
I'm stuck at QB -3...I'm sure your really dumb word is one of them

Congrats, Jim! 

Alha, I'm at QB-2 and I found a few dumb words. Wonder if I am missing smart ones. 

QB :bz

And, I was right. The dumb (non)words I had already found.

Like  2 Likes
nohero
Discussion: The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Commenting on Trump's unhinged press conference, a column today by Michael Sean Winters in National Catholic Reporter -

https://www.ncronline.org/opinion/ncr-voices/vindictive-unstable-trump-should-never-be-given-power-again

"There are Trump supporters who, for a variety of reasons, some of them legitimate, fear for the future of the country and mistakenly see Trump as an answer to those fears. They may fall for his victimhood routine because fighting the establishment and dissenting from authority are as American as fried chicken, from the first Puritan to Edward Snowden. None of us, including President Biden, can give up on these misguided people who are our fellow citizens.

"Those of us who discern in Donald Trump a clear and present danger to American democracy must be clear that we do not place that indictment on all Trump supporters. We do indict him and his acolytes, from the talking heads who shill for him on Fox, to the GOP politicians who put loyalty to Trump ahead of devotion to the Constitution. No one could watch that press conference and think this man should be allowed to return to power.

"In moments of crisis, humans look for points of reassurance. We think we have seen all there is to see about Trump's unfitness for office. Then you see a performance like the one he delivered March 25 and it freaks you out. Being freaked out is a sign of sanity, not contagion. It must point us to action. This vindictive, unstable man ought not be invested with civil authority ever again."

Like  2 Likes
jamie
Discussion: So we gets a letter. Homeowners Ins applied for a 25% rate increase. W.T.F.?

I had a garage roof damage from a branch - premium went up to $3,887/yr with Naragansett Bay.

Just worked with Goosehead insurance in town and they found a policy with Progressive for $1,371.

Like  2 Likes
nohero
Discussion: The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

So, the next time you scratch your head and wonder how/why DJT retains his hold on so many voters across America, remember today.

I don't wonder.  Lots of people are full of hate and dumber than a rock.

Like  2 Likes