Popular Comments

DaveSchmidt
Discussion: What does Putin want (and whatabout it)

nan said:

Putin's not the only one who should have thought about some other things before getting involved in this war.

So: Here we have Putin “getting involved” in this war.

Like  4 Likes
RobertRoe
Discussion: Attack on organized labor

I never understood why big business is against government-funded (like Obama Care) health care.  Government-funded health care would relieve the big business of health insurance costs that they pay to their workforce.   Am I missing something in my business cost equation?

Like  4 Likes
metaphysician
Discussion: Roundup Alternative: Weed Torch?

You can get agricultural vinegar from Home Depot, Lowe’s or Walmart. It’s 20%, 4 times stronger than the stuff in the supermarket. Works like a charm. Use it in dry weather on a Sunny day. Do NOT get it in your eyes because it’s very caustic stuff. Do NOT use it on windy days.

mrmaplewood said:

Also, as a low-tech answer to your problem, try plain vinegar with a dash of dish detergent in a spray bottle.  Not as strong as Roundup, but environmentally friendly.  (Don't shake, bubbles make spraying impossible.)

P.S.  "Do I need a permit to use even though it’s fairly basic?"  That's the kind of question I have learned the hard way to avoid around here.

Like  3 Likes
tjohn
Discussion: German Lab Leak

A German joke is no laughing matter.

Like  3 Likes
DaveSchmidt

nan said:

Meanwhile we are clearly running the Roman Empire collapse playbook and you seem to think somehow we are winning.

I think you’re the only commenter in this thread who has said anybody has won anything. (I’m not counting Paul’s “I told you so.”)

Like  3 Likes
DaveSchmidt
Discussion: The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

from RCL.

Votes for Biden: 926,633

Votes for Trump: 788,833

Democratic votes not Biden: 123,921

Republican votes not Trump: 163,748

Were you trying to tell us something?

Like  3 Likes
tjohn

I broke into my neighbor's house a few times and helped myself to some of his possessions.  Then he started to complain and threatened to call the police.  So, me being a reasonable guy, I said I would stop as long as he let me keep what I had already stolen and also didn't lock his doors.

This, I believe, is the essence of Putin's proposal to Ukraine.

Like  2 Likes
nohero

nan said:

nohero said:

I cannot think of any respectable commentator who has nothing but respect for the views and work of Professor Timothy Snyder, author of "On Tyranny".

[Edited to add] 

Respectable here = mainstream propaganda.    I can think of many respectable commentators--the kind of people who practice real journalism that speaks truth to power -- who don't look up to this guy.  I would love to see him in an interview with those people but that never happens.  And then there are the "elite" Yale students in the video that never question anything he says.  Was that a pre-selected class or do they normally just nod their heads and agree all the time. Yale students are protesting about Israel now, so they can't all be that passive.  And he says some really controversial stuff that should be obvious to anyone with a basic knowledge of the conflict.

For example, he's a major voice for those that like to deny that Ukraine has a Nazi problem:

https://www.nybooks.com/online/2014/03/01/ukraine-haze-propaganda/

When Professor Snyder was once again brought up on this thread, I didn't realize that it was "Hate On Timothy Snyder Week" in anti-Ukraine circles. Professor Snyder was a witness in a congressional hearing on China's authoritarianism, and Majorie Taylor Greene went after him over Ukraine.

There are videos from numerous sources, but here's a quick thread from the Twitter with a summary and a clip - worth clicking and reading the couple of tweets in the thread. 

Like  2 Likes
dave
Discussion: The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

This trial has given late night hosts a bounty of material to work with. 

Like  2 Likes