Popular Comments

joanne
Discussion: Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Devastated to read of the death of the painter and writer of Babar, the elephant king books. Laurent de Brunhoff, 98 years, died at home in Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/24/laurent-de-brunhoff-author-of-babar-childrens-books-dies-at-98
Babar was created by his father Jean, and Laurent decided to continue and expand the immersive children’s series. Yet it never seemed merely a child’s picture book with a brief story - instead, each book could capture your imagination and lead you into a colourful world with magical playful animals, luxurious plants scenting the air, and wonder on every page. 
Very glad for both Jean and Laurent, and their beautiful creations. Children’s librarians around the world will treasure Babar the Elephant King, and comfort him and his fans. 

Like  6 Likes
max_weisenfeld
Discussion: April weather forecast

To be perfectly clear, being right 50% of the time is essentially random guessing

Like  5 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: How To Park Like a Tool

soda said:

-s.

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by...

Like  4 Likes
ridski
Discussion: Wow - doesn’t time fly, Ridski?

Sorry I missed this thread! Thank you, Joanne! As my birthday this year also almost matches up with our 25th wedding anniversary (in 2 weeks) and it’s Wifeski’s Spring Break, we headed to California to hang with out Los Angeles friends (and some British friends who are celebrating their anniversary) and we’re spending this weekend in beautiful Palm Springs. 

Please find attached a completely unnecessary photo of me enjoying my birthday yesterday in the pool.

Like  4 Likes
marksierra
Discussion: Inconsequential Chat

Yes, yes. I know.

We're told from childhood that we shouldn't play with our food.

However, (not) in that vein, may I present Sausage Henge!

Like  3 Likes
Morganna
Discussion: The Uncaged Bird - Ready for Spring!

Carolina Wren at the feeder.

Like  3 Likes
DaveSchmidt
Discussion: What does Putin want (and whatabout it)

nan said:

Even western polling showed that Putin, who is considered a moderate in Russia, was the favorite.

Can you provide any examples of the polling? I wasn’t aware that Russia permitted Western outfits to conduct independent polls of its citizens, and my online searches came up empty.

Like  3 Likes
max_weisenfeld
Discussion: Millburn resists affordable housing

There's no comparison.

Both Maplewood and South Orange have hundreds of of units of affordable housing, and they are either current or will be when projects currently being built come on line.

Millburn has 38 units and needs 1,300 more.

The time for "finding units in existing developments" is past.  If Millburn was sincere in wanting to properly plan development, well, they had the chance.  They'll be lucky at this point to have any say going forward as the state is likely to take control of the planning process.

yahooyahoo said:

Maplewood and South Orange also resist building affordable housing.

Who can name how many affordable units have been built in our two towns in the past 5 or 10 years?

Our governments keep talking about it and making deals with developers but only the minimum required by law get built.

^^ This take was once true but is several years out of date now.

Like  3 Likes
DanDietrich
Discussion: Millburn resists affordable housing

South Orange is well on the way to catching up.  But all three towns have work to do to overcome the damage done by the last generation.

Like  2 Likes
Formerlyjerseyjack
Discussion: Random landscapes

I saw this and had to stop.

Like  2 Likes