What series should I watch next?

Though the title is awful, I loved the pilot for "my crazy exgirlfriend" on the cw. I think the second episode is on tonight.

Just started watching "Hello Ladies"'on HBO and it's very funny in a pathetic and cringing sort of way. There, but for the grace....

I checked out Happy Valley and I'm really liking it, but it's hard not to think about O'Brien from Downton Abbey when Siobhan Finneran is onscreen playing a recovering heroin addict with a ponytail!

Now watching Jane The Virgin. So far? Meh.

Just started watching "Master of None" with and by Aziz Ansari and I love it. The scenes with his parents (his actual parents) are hysterical and have a ring of truthiness.

Also deep into Season 3 of "The Walking Dead." Yipes! It's gross but engrossing as well. (See what I did there?)

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Now watching Jane The Virgin. So far? Meh.

Stopped watching this. It was crap.

We've just started watching Masters of Sex. We're on season 2 now and I have to say, I'm not loving where this is headed. I'm disliking almost all of the characters. 

TarheelsInNj said:

We've just started watching Masters of Sex. We're on season 2 now and I have to say, I'm not loving where this is headed. I'm disliking almost all of the characters. 

I watched Parenthood for two seasons hating every character.  Go figure. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

TarheelsInNj said:

I watched Parenthood for two seasons hating every character.  Go figure. 

Ha! I really enjoyed Parenthood, actually, but I could see that. 

My issue with Masters of Sex is it seems to be becoming a different show. We'll see where it leads but right now it's not the same series I became hooked on in season 1. 

If you're in the cult of the Sam Raimi Evil Dead movies, and maybe if you're not, you will find the new Starz series "Ash vs. the Evil Dead" to be surprisingly excellent and on par with the movies.  A great mix of humor, supernatural horror, gore, irreverence and bawdiness.  

Netflix has been pushing JESSICA JONES, based, apparently, on some Marvel comic. I, as a rule, never watch movies made from comic books but this is pretty good. It stars Krystal Ritter whom you may remember in a great turn in Breaking Bad as Jane Margolis, and in "Don't Trust the B... in Apartment 23." 

This show is clever, funny, sexy and action-packed. 

It also stars Mike Colter who you may remember as Lemond Bishop from The Good Wife. 

I'm being forced to sit through The Legend of the Seeker, based on the Terry Goodkind novels. Thank heavens it's only two seasons of noisy sexist torture parading as broadminded fantasy. 

Also, stumbled on Jewish Mum of the Year, from the UK. Do not watch this!  Truly idiotic mindnumbing sickening reality TV without a single redeeming feature.

On the other hand, the mini-series The Town, with Martin Clunes, is quite good; gets better after the first confusing episode.

And The Beautiful Lie is a new take on Anna Karenina, apparently; I'm watching so I can discuss it with a friend, but most of the characters make me want to scream at them. A bit like real life, I guess, except we're not so glamorous. 

Anyone watching Blindspot? Does it stay as fast paced as first episode?

yes, Blindspot is good. But it took a hiatus of a few weeks, during which I have forgotten almost everything. Now, it's coming back on Monday. Why the heck do they do that??

We interspersed Blindspot with Flesh and Bone, and then just had to see the last half straight through. Loved it. Music, costuming, and the wonderful dancing in the last ep. Feeling quite sated now.  question 

I just binged The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) over the past few days and loved it.

Joanne, what do you think of Flesh and Bone? I'm having a complicated reaction to it. Dancers are saying it's not really true to life (vis-a-vis the dance world) which I believe, but I'm kind of fascinated and disgusted at the same time.

First time ever, I'm posting from my phone...

I really don't know anything about the reality of a dance company or a dance school. But then, I'm sure there are many workplaces we see that aren't 100% or even 65% accurate. It just needs to be accurate enough to give the sense of pressure, competition, egos, etc. 

it's frustrating that apparently there won't be another season. And it's annoying that so much is the usual stereotyping. But it's a convenient shorthand: we had it in the Other Side of Midnight era too. Here, the trick for viewing is to be patient enough to see the individual quirk (which I suspect needed the next season for better exploration).

That said, last ep was lovely for the dancing and the scores.

It's been cancelled? Already??? Damn. I did want to give it another chance because I loved the dancing.  LOL  LOL  LOL 

Tonight at 10pm Season 2 of Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce starts on Bravo. It's a bit smarmy and silly but I like Lisa Edelstein (from HOUSE) very much. Janeane Garofalo is also in it. 

ALSO, a friend was raving incoherently about how marvelous THE TUDORS (PBS) is. Has anyone watched it? Yay? Nay? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Tonight at 10pm Season 2 of Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce starts on Bravo. It's a bit smarmy and silly but I like Lisa Edelstein (from HOUSE) very much. Janeane Garofalo is also in it. 

ALSO, a friend was raving incoherently about how marvelous THE TUDORS (PBS) is. Has anyone watched it? Yay? Nay? 

the Tudors was a showtime series -- strong Yay!!!! 

Also The Last Kingdom on BBC is pretty damn good  the 1st season just ended you can demand it.

maplegal said:
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I fully agree with maplegal.  It may not be historically accurate but it was done with breathtaking scenery and elegant costumes.  I thought the entire cast was excellent:

Jonathan Rhys Meyers as King Henry VIII
Sam Neill as Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Jeremy Northam as Sir Thomas More
Steven Waddington as Buckingham
Henry Czerny as Norfolk
Nick Dunning as Boleyn
Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn
Perdita Weeks as Mary Boleyn
Maria Doyle Kennedy as Queen Katherine
Matt Ryan as Pace
Henry Cavill as Charles Brandon
Callum Blue as Knivert
Kristen Holden-Ried as Compton
Joe Van Moyland as Thomas Tallis
Gabrielle Anwar as Princess Margaret
James Frain as Thomas Cromwell

I love this show.  Are you sure about Janeane Garofalo?  I think she was let go/quit part way through the first season.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

foxychica said:
maplegal said:
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I fully agree with maplegal.  It may not be historically accurate but it was done with breathtaking scenery and elegant costumes.  I thought the entire cast was excellent:

Jonathan Rhys Meyers as King Henry VIII
Sam Neill as Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Jeremy Northam as Sir Thomas More
Steven Waddington as Buckingham
Henry Czerny as Norfolk
Nick Dunning as Boleyn
Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn
Perdita Weeks as Mary Boleyn
Maria Doyle Kennedy as Queen Katherine
Matt Ryan as Pace
Henry Cavill as Charles Brandon
Callum Blue as Knivert
Kristen Holden-Ried as Compton
Joe Van Moyland as Thomas Tallis
Gabrielle Anwar as Princess Margaret
James Frain as Thomas Cromwell

Thanks for the info. I assume it's on Netflix?  I'll check this evening.

There's also the Wolf Hall adaptation, which covers the same material as The Tudors and did run on PBS. Maybe that's what your friend was thinking of?

yep, You, Me and the Apocalypse was strange but fun... Anyone else catch it?? 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4337894/ 

Wolf Hall is far better than the Tudors, but the Tudors is more entertaining. If you know what I mean. 

any comments on The Leftovers?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!