What series should I watch next?

Holding off on watching the great Better Call Saul till August when the entire last season will be bingeable.  Nearly succumbed to the urge to watch last night, but stumbled on Dark Winds on AMC.  The show's blurb: Follows Leaphorn and Chee, two Navajo police officers in the 1970s Southwest forced to challenge their own spiritual beliefs when they search for clues in a double murder case. 

Enjoyed the first episode.  It's based on a Tony Hillerman novel entitled Listening Woman and stars Zahn McClarnon, who was terrific in Westworld as Akecheta. 

The only problem is that the AMC streaming site forces you to watch commercials.

Elle_Cee said:

Holding off on watching the great Better Call Saul till August when the entire last season will be bingeable.  Nearly succumbed to the urge to watch last night, but stumbled on Dark Winds on AMC.  The show's blurb: Follows Leaphorn and Chee, two Navajo police officers in the 1970s Southwest forced to challenge their own spiritual beliefs when they search for clues in a double murder case. 

Enjoyed the first episode.  It's based on a Tony Hillerman novel entitled Listening Woman and stars Zahn McClarnon, who was terrific in Westworld as Akecheta. 

The only problem is that the AMC streaming site forces you to watch commercials.

I also normally wait until I can binge the whole series, but I succumbed this time, and let me tell you, the first two episodes were pretty awesome.

Dark Winds was ok - good actors and good start - but it really jumped the shark on the final episode - ugh!

Just started Blackbird.  What crap.  Bad writing.  Bad acting.  I’ll keep trying because it got good reviews, but ugh. 

jeffl said:

Just started Blackbird.  What crap.  Bad writing.  Bad acting.  I’ll keep trying because it got good reviews, but ugh. 

I take it back.  It’s growing on me. 

enjoying The Offer on Paramount+. 

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

jamie said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Jamie, I’ve watched 7 episodes (how many are there?) and it’s too much yelling and fighting and screaming and tension and little else. Some good characters but somebody needs to put Richie out of my misery. 

yeah the yelling can be a bit much - I like the flow of it all.

You only have one more episode to go!

The Bear was excellent.  Episode 8 brings it all together.

For restful police procedural series, there is no better choice than “ The Last Detective”— no horrific autopsy scenes, but great acting and the good guy is the better man. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

Apple TV

Has anyone watched The Umbrella Academy?

drummerboy said:

We were big fans.  I think it ran its course, though.  

bub said:

drummerboy said:

what, tapered out towards the end?

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

Apple TV

I guess half an answer is better than none. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

Apple TV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bird_(miniseries)

ridski said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bird_(miniseries)

oh, you smarties with your interwebs.

drummerboy said:

bub said:

drummerboy said:

what, tapered out towards the end?

The show was always a mix of the whimsical and serious sci fi/mystery.   The former held up throughout but like a lot of sci fi, they really couldn't come through with a coherent sharp resolution/explanation of the serious sci fi story arc and, like so much of this kind of thing (especially the big comic book movies), they default to a lot of half baked mumbo jumbo, fighting and special effects to cover the absence of a coherent explanation.   

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

Apple TV

I don’t get it.  Do you mean I didn’t say when?  Isn’t when whenever you decide to stream it?

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

Apple TV

I don’t get it.  Do you mean I didn’t say when?  Isn’t when whenever you decide to stream it?

I think it's because you didn't answer "what".

drummerboy said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:

jeffl said:

What/where is Blackbird? 

Apple TV

I think it's because you didn't answer "what".

Ah.  Of course.  My bad.  It looks like someone already fixed it with a link. 

drummerboy said:

Yes, I enjoyed it a lot. Still one season to drop, thouqh

Paramount + has The Offer, about the making of the Godfather. Riveting!

mtierney said:

Seconded on The Offer. Excellent show.

ridski said:

mtierney said:

Yeah? The trailers made it look kind of cheesy. Worth watching then?

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

mtierney said:

Yeah? The trailers made it look kind of cheesy. Worth watching then?

absolutely if you are old enough to remember the era!

One complaint I have is that I can’t get closed captioning on Paramount even though I have it on all the other streaming channels have. If anyone has figured it out, love to hear how.

Has anyone seen Trainwreck:  Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix?  YIKES!

Last night I watched the first episode of "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" on Netflix. It's a South Korean show about a young woman with autism and how she becomes a fantastic lawyer, and apparently some of her cases. If you've ever seen "The Good Doctor on ABC," which was adapted from a South Korean show, then this is "The Good Lawyer."  I don't think I'll watch any more of it. I didn't like the way her autism was presented and it's just more Good Doctor all over again. Of course, if you love The Good Doctor, this may be right up your street...

Also started watching "Yellowjackets," a Showtime show available to rent or buy on Prime. I heard an interview with Melanie Lynsky ("Rose" on Three and Half Men) who is one of the stars in the show (NJ girls soccer team, plane crash, cannibalism, 4 survivors 25 years later -no spoilers there) and thought I'd give it a try. It's very dark, both the plot and the lighting.  It's a LOST wannabe. I watched 2 episodes and was on the fence. When I realized I'd have to pay $24.99 for the entire season, I climbed off the fence. 

Okokokok said:

Has anyone seen Trainwreck:  Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix?  YIKES!

Yes, what a disaster that was. 

As an attendee at the original Woodstock, I never thought it was a good idea to try to recreate the magic.  That being said, it certainly was an eye opening look into the shift of cultural paradigms between now and then.  By the way, I had a boyfriend years ago who worked for John Scher, and his characterization of him was less than kind.

Okokokok said:

As an attendee at the original Woodstock, I never thought it was a good idea to try to recreate the magic.  That being said, it certainly was an eye opening look into the shift of cultural paradigms between now and then.  By the way, I had a boyfriend years ago who worked for John Scher, and his characterization of him was less than kind.

John Scher lives in South Orange. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.