What series should I watch next?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Ok, who watched the new season of BETTER THINGS? I've heard not-great reports. I want to like it 'cuz I love Pamela Adilon  and the daughters.And the Mom!

I loved it all. Don't compare it to the earlier seasons. 

This is kind of a tangent, but I decided to re-watch Breaking Bad in anticipation of BCS and if you remember the scene early in season 2, where Jesse and Walter are trying to scare Goodman by threatening to kill him, Goodman starts yelling about Lalo, because he thinks they were sent by Lalo.

The question is, did Vince Gilligan know who Lalo would become, or was it just a throwaway line. Which also begs the question did he already have BCS in mind this early in BB?

Who knows?

Lalo, by the way, is, to me, one of the scariest characters I've ever come across. Just brilliant.

For those who recommended My Brilliant Friend I started watching it (Season 1 of course) and am enjoying it so much that I sometimes watch it in a room I work out in that has an ancient non high def TV and so the sub-titles are a harder to see. Thank for the recommendation! grin

wendy said:

For those who recommended My Brilliant Friend I started watching it (Season 1 of course) and am enjoying it so much that I sometimes watch it in a room I work out in that has an ancient non high def TV and so the sub-titles are a harder to see. Thank for the recommendation!
grin

I'll have to give it a try. Which service caries it? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

wendy said:

For those who recommended My Brilliant Friend I started watching it (Season 1 of course) and am enjoying it so much that I sometimes watch it in a room I work out in that has an ancient non high def TV and so the sub-titles are a harder to see. Thank for the recommendation!
grin

It's on HBOMax streaming, or just plain HBO if you subscribe. If you have HBO and want to watch on demand, they separate each season with first (where you should start) being called simply "My Brilliant Friend." The second season is "My Brilliant Friend: The Story of a New Name" and the third (currently halfway through the season) is "My Brilliant Friend: Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay."

Each season is eight one-hour episodes corresponding to a book in Elana Ferrante's four-book series. So the fourth season will be the last, with new actresses being cast as the current ones, who started in the third episode of season one (the characters are young girls in the first two episodes) will be much too young.

chalmers said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

wendy said:

grin

It's on HBOMax streaming, or just plain HBO if you subscribe. If you have HBO and want to watch on demand, they separate each season with first (where you should start) being called simply "My Brilliant Friend." The second season is "My Brilliant Friend: The Story of a New Name" and the third (currently halfway through the season) is "My Brilliant Friend: Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay."

Each season is eight one-hour episodes corresponding to a book in Elana Ferrante's four-book series. So the fourth season will be the last, with new actresses being cast as the current ones, who started in the third episode of season one (the characters are young girls in the first two episodes) will be much too young.

Thanks. I'll add it to my list. For the next few days, though, it's all Oscar movies. I've quite a bit of catching up to do. 

We love My Brilliant Friend. My wife read the books and got me hooked on the tv series. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Been watching Somebody Somewhere on HBO with Bridget Everett. It's really grown on me. I love the characters, especially Sam (Everett) and Joel (Jeff Hiller). Mike Haggerty as the farmer father with the alcoholic wife is so low key and terrific.  The other character are great, too. The sister, especially. The show takes place in a small-town, farming community in Kansas. 

Thanks for this recommendation.  Watched five episodes and sad that I only have two left.  I just love it. 

I had to review Season 2 of My Brilliant Friend as there had been a 2 year Covid lapse in filming. Wish I could get Season 1  On Demand but it's not available. Great to read the subtitles while listening to it in Italian.

Season one is on demand and on HBO max. Watching it now.

Morganna said:

I had to review Season 2 of My Brilliant Friend as there had been a 2 year Covid lapse in filming. Wish I could get Season 1  On Demand but it's not available. Great to read the subtitles while listening to it in Italian.

For some reason, they put each season into a different On Demand folder or whatever, so it might be there, separately from the other seasons. 

@ chalmers:

What you wrote above was so helpful in finally finding season 2 on a TV I have downstairs that can't get HBO Max. I actually had to search for the sub-title to have it come up. Repeating it here now so I can refer back to it. 
"It's on HBOMax streaming, or just plain HBO if you subscribe. If you have HBO and want to watch on demand, they separate each season with first (where you should start) being called simply "My Brilliant Friend." The second season is "My Brilliant Friend: The Story of a New Name" and the third (currently halfway through the season) is "My Brilliant Friend: Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay."

chalmers said:

For some reason, they put each season into a different On Demand folder or whatever, so it might be there, separately from the other seasons. 

OK, I'll double check. I'm watching on HBO as my HBOMAX is giving me problems.

Morganna - I'm sure  you'll be interested in this article in The Guardian - "Uncompromisingly gay: Sally Wainwright on turning Gentleman Jack into a global icon."  Now i have to go back and watch the first season. I love Suranne Jones. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/mar/25/uncompromisingly-gay-sally-wainwright-on-turning-gentleman-jack-into-a-global-icon

cramer said:

Morganna - I'm sure  you'll be interested in this article in The Guardian - "Uncompromisingly gay: Sally Wainwright on turning Gentleman Jack into a global icon."  Now i have to go back and watch the first season. I love Suranne Jones. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/mar/25/uncompromisingly-gay-sally-wainwright-on-turning-gentleman-jack-into-a-global-icon

Yes, she is wonderful. So glad they brought it back!

I first saw her Scott & Bailey, which was a wonderful series. She collaborated with Sally Wainwright on that series as well. 

cramer said:

I first saw her Scott & Bailey, which was a wonderful series. She collaborated with Sally Wainwright on that series as well. 

I started reading the posted article but stopped when I thought I saw a spoiler. And it was Sally Wainwright that I was thinking of when I said I loved her! Looking forward to the new season now that My Brilliant Friend, The Gilded Age and Billions will soon wind down.

Started watching "Pieces of Her" but after 2.5 episodes I think I'm done. Always enjoy Toni Colette but this is dragging and going nowhere fast. 

So,  I abandoned "Pieces of Her" and started watching "Imposters" from 20017. 4 episodes in and I like it. Looks like everyone might get their comeuppance without it dragging out 6 seasons. Or, lets hope.  I dig Uma Thurman's cameo as the "cleaner,' ala Harvey Keitel in 1993's Point of No Return ( a fun thriller with a great cast, BTW). . 

Started watching the "Reacher" series tonight, based on the novels by Lee Child.  Great stuff.  It's received excellent reviews.  If you need some mystery, suspense and most of all six foot five Jack Reacher beating the hell out of bad guys, this is for you.

Anyone watching Severance on Apple?  Season finale is tomorrow - then you can binge the whole thing.  It's very Black Mirroresque.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

So,  I abandoned "Pieces of Her" and started watching "Imposters" from 20017. 4 episodes in and I like it. Looks like everyone might get their comeuppance without it dragging out 6 seasons. Or, lets hope.  I dig Uma Thurman's cameo as the "cleaner,' ala Harvey Keitel in 1993's Point of No Return ( a fun thriller with a great cast, BTW). . 

So I watched the complete season of Imposters and quite enjoyed it. It's a fun, mystery and cops and robbers, hidden identity story. But I see there's a second season and I think I'll pass. 

Why do these shows have to overkill what is often a nice, self-contained single season? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

So I watched the complete season of Imposters and quite enjoyed it. It's a fun, mystery and cops and robbers, hidden identity story. But I see there's a second season and I think I'll pass. 

Why do these shows have to overkill what is often a nice, self-contained single season? 

I have a very creative relative (you may know to whom I am referring) who totally got why Fleabag was only 2 seasons but she as well as many of us were so disappointed in that. Phoebe Waller-Bridge's decision was artistically right on but still unpopular. 

Watching again all the old Gentleman Jack episodes in anticipation of the new season! So much fun!

Julia on HBO Max is excellent!

jamie said:

Julia on HBO Max is excellent!

I saw Julia the 2021 documentary the other day and that too is excellent. Looking forward to the series as well. But definitely watch the documentary.

The movie Julia and Julia with Meryl Streep was pretty good also.  I saw it recently, didn't realize it was from 2009.

Last night I stumbled upon and started watching "Life & Beth" with Amy Schumer, on Hulu.  I watched about 4 episodes and I like it, so far. If you don't like Amy Schumer, I'd guess you won't like this. It's not comedy. Good cast including Laura Benanti, Michael Rapaport, Michael Cera, Murray Hill. 

jamie said:

Anyone watching Severance on Apple?  Season finale is tomorrow - then you can binge the whole thing.  It's very Black Mirroresque.

I'm up to Ep 2 - pretty good so far.

drummerboy said:

Better Call Saul coming in April!

Help!! Loved Better Call Saul, but when I started to watch the new season I became totally disoriented. He is the sleezy ambulance chasing lawyer, Saul Goodman, wearing flashy suits. Did i miss a whole season! Where is Jimmy McGill? I thought the big bad guys were killed off.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!