What series should I watch next?

Yellowjackets is pretty good, but it would be better without the occasional gratuitous gore.

drummerboy said:

Yellowjackets is pretty good, but it would be better without the occasional gratuitous gore.

yeah - the gore is gory.  But overall, it's pretty minimal.  The first 10 minutes of the pilot doesn't represent the overall tone of the series.  I'm really looking forward to the season finale.

Finished Yellowtone Season 4. Not nearly as good as Season 3, but love love love Beth. She has the absolute best lines of dialogue and delivers them so well. (Almost impossible to believe the actor actually speaks with a British accent.)

Also finished Succession. Very good season, with some interesting twists.

Taking a break from TV shows to watch The Defiant Ones (1958) again -- Poitier and Curtis. Fab movie.

Has anyone seen Search Party?  I caught the first 2 episodes, seems pretty decent.

jamie said:

Has anyone seen Search Party?  I caught the first 2 episodes, seems pretty decent.

It is crazy.  We watched for quite a while though put it aside for a stretch.  The blackest of comedies and creepy as hell.  

jamie said:

yeah - the gore is gory.  But overall, it's pretty minimal.  The first 10 minutes of the pilot doesn't represent the overall tone of the series.  I'm really looking forward to the season finale.

The trailer did not make me want to give it a try but as I liked your Dexter endorsement I gave Yellowjackets a look and got hooked. The finale left me a bit confused. Seemed like they left loose ends so I wondered if they were leaving the door open for another season.

I'm oblivious to gore.

Just searched and it appears it will return for another season. So that was the reason for the loose ends.

Been watching AFTER LIFE with Ricky Gervais. I never cared for him, and in this show he's a recent widow who is rude, sarcastic and nasty, all in grieving. It's kinda cute in spite of Gervais. The secondary characters are all nicely idiosyncratic and none are typical TV actors nor typical TV characters. It's written and directed by Gervais. 

I have really enjoyed the plot and primary character in Bordertown on Netflix...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Been watching AFTER LIFE with Ricky Gervais. I never cared for him, and in this show he's a recent widow who is rude, sarcastic and nasty, all in grieving. It's kinda cute in spite of Gervais. The secondary characters are all nicely idiosyncratic and none are typical TV actors nor typical TV characters. It's written and directed by Gervais. 

Now watching Season 2 and warming to the character. 

New season of Billions kicked off and I completely enjoyed it. Love the new direction it is taking. Anyone else watching it?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Now watching Season 2 and warming to the character. 

Just started Season 3 and I think I'm going to abandon it here. Nothing changes. No growth. No new plots developing. No surprises. No emotional highs or lows. Bleech. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Just started Season 3 and I think I'm going to abandon it here. Nothing changes. No growth. No new plots developing. No surprises. No emotional highs or lows. Bleech. 

Aw, stick with it.  He grows.  Penelope Wilton is wonderful as always. And Diane Morgan nearly steals the show.  A satisfying, bittersweet ending.

mooewe said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Aw, stick with it.  He grows.  Penelope Wilton is wonderful as always. And Diane Morgan nearly steals the show.  A satisfying, bittersweet ending.

Doh!  

Ok. Will do. Thanks for the encouragement. And yes, the supporting cast is great. I especially like Penelope Wilton and remember her so fondly from Downton Abbey. 

(I'm anxious to start watching "Somebody Somewhere" with Bridgette Everett on HBO.)

mooewe said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I agree with mooewe to stick with it. Ending is satisfying but done in such a nuanced way that I immediately checked out Gervais's interpretation after watching the last episode. The entire show I felt was brilliant: writing, acting, etc.  I realize that you aren't a Gervais fan so kudos for even sticking with it. Never saw the British Office but thoroughly enjoyed Extras. 

It was mentioned much earlier (per searching) but highly recommend Borgen. Just starting Season 3. If you liked West Wing you will definitely like this. Some have said it's a Danish House of Cards but I think West Wing is the better comparison.
Also, my latest exercise show is Brooklyn Nine-Nine. For those who have liked the Office and/or Parks and Rec, this is for you. 
FWIW, I think those who re-discover older shows/series should feel free to put it here as this is such a long running thread and we all can't stay on top of things. Love this thread by the way (although this is not where I got the idea to watch the above shows; it's still a great resource). 

If you like cat and mouse as played by coppers, best I have seen!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_Duty

wendy said:

mooewe said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I agree with mooewe to stick with it. Ending is satisfying but done in such a nuanced way that I immediately checked out Gervais's interpretation after watching the last episode. The entire show I felt was brilliant: writing, acting, etc.  I realize that you aren't a Gervais fan so kudos for even sticking with it. Never saw the British Office but thoroughly enjoyed Extras. 

So, as per the recommendations of my MOL peeps, I stuck with After Life until the end. And until the last 30 seconds, I continued to think it was mean and nasty and lazy and depressing as hell, and not in a pleasant way. Phoooey. 

Aside from Billions, I'm watching The Gilded Age. Lush sets and costumes and I always enjoy Christine Baransky.

So the season has kicked off with the super rich.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

wendy said:

mooewe said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

So, as per the recommendations of my MOL peeps, I stuck with After Life until the end. And until the last 30 seconds, I continued to think it was mean and nasty and lazy and depressing as hell, and not in a pleasant way. Phoooey. 

And what pray tell happened in the last 30 seconds? An epiphany?

By the way, just finished Brooklyn Nine-Nine (perfect exercise sitcom) and loved it; you may too.

jamie said:

drummerboy said:

watching the finale now and have grown to hate it over the course of ten episodes.  

On my son's recommendation, I'm watching The Morning Show on Apple. I've never cared for Jennifer Aniston or Reese Witherspoon (save for Legally Blonde where she was bloody brilliant) but they're both very good in this timely tale of a network biggie (in this case a morning show anchor) who gets fired when various affairs with colleagues and subordinates are discovered. Witty and smart with quite a few good performances in a large cast. Even Steve Carell of whom I'm not a great fan (exception: Crazy Stupid Love) is very good. 

Just started Reacher- two episodes pretty good.  Finally someone who actually looks like he should.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

On my son's recommendation, I'm watching The Morning Show on Apple. I've never cared for Jennifer Aniston or Reese Witherspoon (save for Legally Blonde where she was bloody brilliant) but they're both very good in this timely tale of a network biggie (in this case a morning show anchor) who gets fired when various affairs with colleagues and subordinates are discovered. Witty and smart with quite a few good performances in a large cast. Even Steve Carell of whom I'm not a great fan (exception: Crazy Stupid Love) is very good. 

I just started it myself. I like it, though I also happen to like Aniston and Witherspoon and Carell

Really liked season 1.  Really disliked season 2.

Just started Reacher.   Cartoonish but up my alley.

drummerboy said:

I just started it myself. I like it, though I also happen to like Aniston and Witherspoon and Carell

Just watched the final episode of season 1 of The Morning Show.
Holy smokes! 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Holy smokes! 

lol. I was about to post that I've lost interest in The Morning Show at about ep 7. I guess I'll stick it out.

drummerboy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Holy smokes! 

lol. I was about to post that I've lost interest in The Morning Show at about ep 7. I guess I'll stick it out.

Do. I wouldn't say this is the greatest series ever but I've found it very engaging - especially that final episode and I found myself watching multiple episodes at  time.  That being said, I'm gonna take a break before launching Season 2. I've been watching Pam & Tommy on Hulu.  Man, this is real trash TV. Not sure how many more episodes I can stomach. 

Highly recommend Abbott Elementary currently on abc but you can also watch via Hulu. The main character also is the show's creator. I'm not just saying that because my niece directed this week's episode. From Wikipedia (to which we should all contribute every now and then, just saying.....):

"Abbott Elementary is an American mockumentary sitcom television series created by Quinta Brunson for ABC. It stars Brunson as a second grade teacher at Abbott Elementary. Tyler James Williams, Janelle James, Lisa Ann Walter, Chris Perfetti, and Sheryl Lee Ralph also star. The series premiered as a midseason entry in the 2021–22 television season on December 7, 2021."

Last night I watched the new Ali Wong comedy special on Netflix. This woman is still on the top of her game. Hysterically funny. Truly filthy. A mordant observer of life, hers in particular. Very funny.

I think I've posted before 5 seasons on Hulu of In The Line of Duty. British coppers playing cat and mouse with other coppers. Super!

A sixth season is available with a free trial of another streaming service.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Featured Events

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!