What series should I watch next?

Two Episodes:  The Diplomat on Prime...

-Ron Carter

Just saw, based on someone's post here a long time ago, Season 1 of American Vandal.  THAT was just too much.  So good. So funny.   And they really nailed "high school speak".  Clever AF.

"You" on Netflix. Crazy!

Watched Season 1 of Derry Girls on Netflix. It's a "coming of age in Northern Island circa 1991."  Not my generation, but reminded me a bit of my Irish/Italian neighborhood growing up.  Did not expect much, but it was well written and hilarious.  Talented cast too. 

mem said:
"You" on Netflix. Crazy!

Tried episode 1.  Hooked for now.  

jeffl said:

mem said:
"You" on Netflix. Crazy!
 Tried episode 1.  Hooked for now.  

It gets better, and crazier. At times I had to pause and look the other way.

ooooh. We have Luther to look forward too, apparently. If you can actually see anything (apparently it's dark-lit and dark in mood)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46750532

joanne - We're currently watching Wanted and love it. I'm a big fan of Australian TV - Wentworth, Rake, etc.  You Aussies really do produce some great shows. 

WANTED, was a great series. 

Wanted: we haven't watched that in this household; I'll get 'him' onto it cheese

It'll make a pleasant change from from the current run of superheroes and weird old SF. (And I mean really weird)

cramer said:
joanne - We're currently watching Wanted and love it. I'm a big fan of Australian TV - Wentworth, Rake, etc.  You Aussies really do produce some great shows. 

Pretty sure The Diplomat is an Aussie show, certainly set there for much of it...

Watched the 5-eposode BODYGUARD on Netflix. An English police drama with Richard Madden as the star. I watched it because of a fluff interview with him in the Sunday NYT Arts section last Sunday (or the Sunday before). There's chatter about him being the next James Bond. Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. Very tense and involved, all about the British intelligence and police services and corruption and nefarious goings on, detective work and the bodyguard protecting the Home Secretary.

Clever, engaging and sexy.

Oh, and I also watched one episode of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix. I thought it (and she) was adorable. But I have no immediate plans to watch any more of it. It's like NAILED IT,  an adorable show, fun for an occasional quick hit. (If you haven't watched NAILED IT on Netflix, check it out; it's a really fun cooking show.)

And for light-heated, fun diversion try KIM'S CONVENIENCE, on Netflix. A very cute show about a Korean family that owns a convenience store in Canada.

Probably mentioned before, but we recently binged Get Shorty currently streaming on Netflix - well done!

Marie Kondo is apparently the new queen of tidying/minimising/downsizing. Her program (the one outlined in books, etc and shown in Tidying Up) has supposedly transformed lives, according to an article I read earlier in the week. The attraction is partly because, unlike many other gurus, you can complete her process over some weeks rather than in one big hit. (You probably all know this)

I’m almost tempted to look into it!! oh oh

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
Watched the 5-eposode BODYGUARD on Netflix. An English police drama with Richard Madden as the star. I watched it because of a fluff interview with him in the Sunday NYT Arts section last Sunday (or the Sunday before). There's chatter about him being the next James Bond. Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. Very tense and involved, all about the British intelligence and police services and corruption and nefarious goings on, detective work and the bodyguard protecting the Home Secretary.

+1  Actually, it's 6 episodes. Exciting series; first and last episodes are real nail biters.

Anyone watch "Difficult People" ?    It was *ok* for me the first season but I felt a weird sense of not liking any of the characters.  However it gets better and BETTER in the next seasons.  So so funny.

unicorn33 said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

+1  Actually, it's 6 episodes. Exciting series; first and last episodes are real nail biters.

We binged Bodyguard last night, too (until 1 am, couldn't sleep without finding out what happened!). Really enjoyed it.

The lead Scottish guy on Bodyguard received an award at Golden Globes last night.

Well, I can finally say, after 6 months or so (I never remember to take the “Before” photo) I’ve watched all 12 seasons of NYPD Blue, all 261 episodes. I loved in when it first aired and I loved it now. 

Now, on to Season 2 of Mrs Maisel. 

Dogs of Berlin, if you like lots of bad stuff going on 

I watched the first two "episodes" of The Romanoffs. They're each like small movies. They're very entertaining but somehow... there's not much there there. I think I'll keep watching. 

ETA: Watched Episode 3 of The Romanoffs. Isabel Huppert! Christina Hendricks! Yuck. Didn't like it at all.

Look at this article in today's paper about a new show on Netflix called "Sex Education," a 'Sweet Teen Comedy of Modern Lust.' Right up my street.

Speaking of which, I binged whole season of Sex Education. Netflix   I really liked it a lot. It’s sweet and funny and totally explicit about teenaged sex - and how everybody develops as a sexual individual differently.  The cast is great - and Gillian Anderson is wonderful as the sex therapist mother of Otis, the main character. Her character so wants to do the right thing with her son, Otis. But she’s frustrated about her own writing career and loneliness and she so wants everyone to feel good about their sexuality.  She celebrates the sexuality of kids who want anything except attention on their new, awkward, confusing, freightening, embarrassing, filthy feelings of sex. The kid that plays Otis is fantastic. 

It’s funny that this is a live action version of Big Mouth, another great Netflix show about puberty, among slightly younger kids. It’s adult and animated and profane but very insightful and hystericallly funny. 

Curious what others think. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
Well, I can finally say, after 6 months or so (I never remember to take the “Before” photo) I’ve watched all 12 seasons of NYPD Blue, all 261 episodes. I loved in when it first aired and I loved it now. 
Now, on to Season 2 of Mrs Maisel. 

Hope you like it as much as Season 1. I did. 

Channel surfing, I stumbled into the first episode of this gritty Brit drama/mystery:  

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/save_me_2018

Sticking with it.  

Finally got. around to The People vs OH

Totally recommend the final 5episodes. Especially for Marcia's story!!! And her assistant! The actor playing Johnny Cochran is outstanding!!!

Ron Carter

I have to see The People VS OJ  - I didn't realize it was part of a series - American Crime Story on FX - this year they did the  Assassination of Gianni Versace which just won a bunch of awards.  Really well done!  I'm sure it was mentioned several times before.

We’ve really enjoyed a few of your recommendations lately - thank you, whoever mentioned Case Histories a while back - it’s taking some time to get through them, but we’re in no rush cheese

The local version of The Guardian today reviewed these, for those who enjoy Australian productions. You might have to search various streaming sites for them:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/17/from-miss-fisher-to-michelle-payne-10-australian-films-to-look-forward-to-in-2019 

I’ve continued to watch The Romanoffs on Netflix. But I don’t know why. It’s not good. Such mediocre writing. 

thanks for the heads-up.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.