What series should I watch next?

watched 4 episodes of Seven Seconds tonight and liked it a lot. Unfortunately I had to go to bed just  as it was getting more intense. 

ridski said:

I have to admit I haven't read the books. Is Gently meant to be annoying AF?

Completely

I just started Absentia. Very intriguing!

ETA the first couple of episodes had promise but oh my what a mess. Avoid!

Has anyone mentioned, "The Detectorists" -  Via Acorn -Amazon Prime - In it third and, alas, final season.   We loved it !  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/detectorists

Okay, I'm eight episodes in now, and I'm liking it. I'd have to say that it took me six episodes to really commit.

It's an odd show, because the main character, Dexter, really is unlike any other. He's not evil; he's damaged. One thing I enjoy is that there is apparently one ongoing plot (and villain) spanning the whole season, but each individual episode also has a freestanding subplot that is resolved within the hour. I certainly am hooked enough to finish the first season (12 episodes). After that, we'll see...

ElizMcCord said:

j_r said:

I've tried Dexter twice but couldn't make it through the first episode, and I like MCH -- and Patricia Highsmith, so it isn't a question of moral ambiguity. I would like somebody who loves the series to say: "Just make it to episode X."

This is how I felt about The Wire. Everybody and their grandma loved, loved it but I had to go at least 6 episodes deep before I was remotely interested in committing. The first 3, good Lord were horrible. I’d give Dexter to episode 4 at least. It’s a great show. 

not sure if it’s been mentioned above but I’m powering through Five by Harlan Coben.  Great series.  

Thanks!! Love Harlan Coben.

Anyone watching HBO's Here and Now?

Just a comment: I find it remarkable how many different series are mentioned in this thread that I've never heard of. I do watch a reasonable amount of TV and read various publications, and yet there are so many programs out there that are new to me. The industry certainly has changed immensely, with so many different options for programs. I'm old enough to remember when the choices were just a few channels and not even VCRs had been invented yet.

unicorn33 said:

Just a comment: I find it remarkable how many different series are mentioned in this thread that I've never heard of. I do watch a reasonable amount of TV and read various publications, and yet there are so many programs out there that are new to me. The industry certainly has changed immensely, with so many different options for programs. I'm old enough to remember when the choices were just a few channels and not even VCRs had been invented yet.

It's the Golden Age of Television!

Weird, I was close to posting the same reply.  And its true.  This is the Golden Age of TV.  It's not even a close call. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

unicorn33 said:

bub said:

Weird, I was close to posting the same reply.  And its true.  This is the Golden Age of TV.  It's not even a close call. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

unicorn33 said:

GMTA 

Off from work due to snow and Binging The Impostors on Netflix.  

Innocentbystander said:

Off from work due to snow and Binging The Impostors on Netflix.  

And? What is it? Recommend it? 

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but Shetland on Netflix is great. 

Binging Broadchurch [English mystery series] - so good!  But just started the third season and it's starting slow - anybody watch all three seasons?

Finished it   I won’t give my review until you’re done   Interested to hear yours   

j_r said:

Mozart in the Jungle is back.  I feel this series has jumped the shark.  First 2 seasons were pretty solid, 3 was ok, but I felt it was fizzing out a bit.  I saw the first episode of the latest season and it's just the same old plot - boring.  Maybe it gets better.

(And for Bernadette Peters fans - the latest production of Hello Dolly with Bernadette is great!)

We were about half an hour into McMafia when the power went out. I was into it, seems promising. It stars James Norton from Grantchester and same actor who played the super creepy pimp / boyfriend on Top of the Lake: China Girl.  He’s creepy in this, too...must be central casting’s go to guy for these type roles. 

We love this show, too and are sad it’s ending. About halfway through last series. The theme song is beautiful, too. 

NJ2NC said:

Has anyone mentioned, "The Detectorists" -  Via Acorn -Amazon Prime - In it third and, alas, final season.   We loved it !  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/detectorists

Loved River. Just watched it based on MOL comments. 

jeffl said:

Finished it   I won’t give my review until you’re done   Interested to hear yours   
j_r said:

Loved it.  The third season turned out a lot better than I expected.  Hope they will have more seasons to look forward to.  Brilliant TV.

I have similar tastes to you based on what you describe; If you're looking for any kind of comedic escape.....Odd Mom Out is hilarious!  If you want something along the same lines as what you've liked in the past, try Ozark. Its great. Enjoy.

Watched four episodes in the last two nights.  I'm guessing it's going to be two a night until it's finished or until I learn how to sleep better...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

watched 4 episodes of Seven Seconds tonight and liked it a lot. Unfortunately I had to go to bed just  as it was getting more intense. 

Here and Now just getting stranger.  I may be hooked.

Not sure if anyone here watches HBO but Tim Robbins and Holly Hunter are the parents. 4 kids, 3 adopted. One from Vietnam, a life coach who is practicing celibacy, one from Nigeria a photographer married with a daughter, one from Columbia, gay and he is either schizophrenic or experiencing actual messages. 1111. The psychiatrist is my favorite, he is Persian, anti Islamic with a devout son who is gender fluid and a very cool wife. He is treating Ramon and starting to share "the porous mind."

And it takes place in Portland, Oregon.

BTW, River, British detective series, is on Netflix, not BBC America

My wife and I are watching Misfits on Hulu. I thought it would be a throwaway show I could watch on nights when she's working, but it turned out to be a lot better than I expected. After a couple episodes, I realized it was something she'd enjoy, too, so now we're watching it together. It's a pretty great mix of silly, serious, stupid, and suspenseful. Gets better as it goes. (Fair warning: Some of the accents are a little tough to understand, and some of the content is pretty raunchy. If you find either of those things off-putting, it might not be for you.)

And speaking of things I'm watching when she's at work, I'm currently enjoying Travelers on Netflix.

I’m just finishing RE-watching all seven seasons of Nurse Jackie. I loved it when I first watched it a number of years ago and loved it again. Great stories and great characters. Funny and sad and poignant and tragic and crazy. Glad I decided to watch it all again. 

ridski, you asked about Dirk Gently quite a while ago: yes, the whole point is that he is so annoying, but then things turn out the way he largely predicts. (Early string theory/ universe of everything stuff) 

Oh, apparently the new HHGTTG will have some changes to the old radio scripts that build a bit on some of this. 

Cramer and others, I’m sorry I haven’t read this thread in many many months. Back in September you were talking about Rake, and enjoying the Aussie version v much. Richard Roxburgh comes from Albury originally; back when we were living there, one of my radio volunteers frequently got to see him when returned to Australia as he went to school and drama club with her son. 

His role, Cleaver, is based on a Sydney lawyer and author Charles Waterstreet, who was also born in Albury. Curiously, an office casual in a community services agency where I worked used to be one of Waterstreet’s legal secretaries. She had some interesting work anecdotes but kept them short and general. However she’d ring him all the time for free legal advice...  

if you can find Waterstreet’s books, read them. Very funny!

(We’re steam-plunking through the Canadian Murdoch Mysteries, all the many seasons. Fun. Also, the British series with Dawn French and Emilia Fox, Delicious. Two short seasons, very enjoyable. And Ben Elton’s Upstart Crowe, about Shakespeare.)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.