The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:
destroying lives — because social media makes it doable...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/opinion/call-out-social-justice.html

David Brooks must miss the days when only people like himself had that power. 

And the President served fast food last night, as he hosted the National Champion college football team at the White House. 

Because he's Trump. 

mtierney said:
destroying lives — because social media makes it doable...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/opinion/call-out-social-justice.html

Not that you would understand, but it's interesting that you're here lamenting people who spread negative information about others without confirming sources or the subject of the allegation.  

South_Mountaineer said:
And the President served fast food last night, as he hosted the National Champion college football team at the White House. 
Because he's Trump. 

reminds me of the Odd Couple episode when Oscar dated a princess.  She mentioned dropping her tiara in the mayonnaise during a dinner at the White House.  Oscar is in disbelief:

Oscar:  "They serve mayonnaise at the White House??"

Princess Lydia (rolling her eyes):  "On everything!"

South_Mountaineer said:
Because he's Trump. 

Also: in his overcoat in his dining room. You have to admit, it's kind of funny.

basil said:

South_Mountaineer said:
Because he's Trump. 
Also: in his overcoat in his dining room. You have to admit, it's kind of funny.

Maybe they can't pay the heating bill because of the Trump Shutdown. 

Back to Russia collusion, apparently Trump wants to pull the US from Nato. Even discussing it is probably one of his biggest deliverables to Putin so far. Do you guys think that they discussed that in these secret Trump-Putin meetings? And if so, what are the odds that proof of that gets uncovered by Mueller, Congress, or someone else?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/politics/nato-president-trump.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I'm a little late with this: I think the general consensus on King is "Why now?" and on Trump, "What's the difference between him and King?"

basil, I think our spooks are said to have relied on Kremlin descriptions (and our spooks' interpretation) of the meetings b/c we have no record. Yup, we elected this guy.

funny, but in this case, I think the press has actually distorted what King said. If you look at the full quote, King was referring to only the term "western civilization" when he said "when did that become offensive?". He was not referring to "white supremacist". Even he's not that stupid to say that.

Not that he deserves any better.

And his district must be a pretty horrible place.

ETA:

here's an excerpt from his official response. I believe him in this case.

In a 56 minute interview, we discussed the changing use of language in political discourse. We discussed the worn out label “racist” and my observation that other slanderous labels have been increasingly assigned to Conservatives by the Left, who injected into our current political dialog such terms as Nazi, Fascist, ‘White Nationalist, White Supremacist,— Western Civilization, how did THAT language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?’...just to watch Western Civilization become a derogatory term in political discourse today. Clearly, I was only referencing Western Civilization classes. No one ever sat in a class listening to the merits of white nationalism and white supremacy.

When I used the word ‘THAT’ it was in reference ONLY to Western Civilization and NOT to any previously stated evil ideology ALL of which I have denounced. My record as a vocal advocate for Western Civilization is nearly as full as my record in defense of Freedom of Speech.

I think you put your finger on it when you mention his district. These characters don't elect themselves...except in some NC districts.

We better be afraid of the Russians, they're bad. I mean, Russia invaded Ukraine. That's like Hitler invaded Poland bad. Russia also shot down Malaysia Airlines #17, killing 298 civilians on board (just as recently as 2014). These are bad hombres.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/politics/gillibrand-president-election.html

Heads up: way back in 2016, over a bakers dozen of GOP contenders did a fine job of killing off their Republican competition until the only man left standing was DJT. On the Democratic side, there stood HRC and Bernie— no brainer for many.

Just saying.....

You didn’t say anything.

mtierney said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/politics/gillibrand-president-election.html
Heads up: way back in 2016, over a bakers dozen of GOP contenders did a fine job of killing off their Republican competition until the only man left standing was DJT. On the Democratic side, there stood HRC and Bernie— no brainer for many.
Just saying.....

No need for you to give a "heads up." Unless Rosie O'Donnell runs in the Democratic primary, there isn't going to be a left-leaning analog to Trump emerging as the nominee.  Democratic primary voters aren't going to take someone like that seriously. Republican voters OTOH had been primed for decades to take idiot celebrity candidates seriously -- Palin, Ben Carson, Steve Forbes, Herman Cain, etc. Not only that, but GOP voters had also been primed for Trump's toxic bigotry and misogyny by the party's legitimate candidates.

There is no comparison or equivalency on the Democratic side.

mtierney said:
Just saying.....

Not sure what your point is because back in 2016 you were cheering that the GOP had so many contenders and laughing at the measly 5 that entered the Democratic ring.

mtierney said:
Just saying.....

I know you must be trolling, because you always are, so I am supposed to get upset at this post, but for the life of me I can't figure out what your point is.

Spartacus (he named himself that) speaking over and around the clamoring hord of Dems should be entertaining — until it all sours, as it will. VP Biden will be a breath of fresh air, frankly, but he either will not run, or lose if he does.

DaveSchmidt said:
You didn’t say anything.

You read my post?

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:
You didn’t say anything.
 You read my post?

I did, all the way through to “Just saying.”

mtierney said:
Spartacus (he named himself that) speaking over and around the clamoring hord of Dems should be entertaining — until it all sours, as it will. VP Biden will be a breath of fresh air, frankly, but he either will not run, or lose if he does.

"It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future".

Lawrence "Yogi" Berra

mtierney said:
Spartacus (he named himself that) 

Not exactly. “This is about the closest I’ll probably ever have in my life to an ‘I am Spartacus’ moment,” Senator Cory Booker said.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:
Spartacus (he named himself that) 
Not exactly. “This is about the closest I’ll probably ever have in my life to an ‘I am Spartacus’ moment,” Senator Cory Booker said.

I think this is code language for saying that Booker doesn't look sufficiently "Irish"

wasn’t Spartacus Greek?

Pelosi rescheduling State of the Union until Government re-opens. "The State of the Union is Off".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politics/nancy-pelosi-state-of-the-union-donald-trump/index.html

Sorry for thread drift: I’m just a little puzzled. (It might be partly due to a rattled brain, I had a bad fall two days ago, and knocked my head)

There’s this incident in Syria, among others, with Americans being killed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/16/us-forces-killed-syria-blast

there’s Mr Trump’s threat of ‘bankrupting Turkey’ if they let bad things happen to Syria and then there’s the young man who blew in a door at the White House  - everything being kept almost quiet because, you know, the focus is more The Wall and The Shutdown and most definitely on The President (So why aren’t there more articles about that White House trespass?) - is IS defeated or not??? They certainly don’t seem cowered to me, instead they seem to playing an almost winning game of Creeping Giants. 

I think we might need a new script writer or editor. 

sorry about your fall, Joanne LOL 

What was your source on the White House trespass?

4 US citizens dead in an attack in Syria. What's being said in the Rose Garden, mtierney?

ridski said:
4 US citizens dead in an attack in Syria. What's being said in the Rose Garden, mtierney?

This is what they're saying:

Pence declares 'ISIS has been defeated' on the same day as deadly Syria attack

Well, this is Vice President Pence's full statement (still nothing from Trump, not even on Twitter), all 2 paragraphs of it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-vice-president-mike-pence-terrorist-attack-syria/

And here's the speech that started this thread. After which followed 7 separate congressional investigations, lasting 4 years.

"As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it. Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.

"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

"But we also know that the lives these Americans led stand in stark contrast to those of their attackers. These four Americans stood up for freedom and human dignity. They should give every American great pride in the country that they served, and the hope that our flag represents to people around the globe who also yearn to live in freedom and with dignity."

- President Barack Obama, the morning after the attacks in Benghazi.

Talk about the 10 Year Challenge.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!